First ever black hole image

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed, this picture tells a story “Holy smokes, it really worked” . At 27 I was still trying to “master” aligning the phono cartridge on a Dual turntable - and they came with an almost foolproof jig.

It's such a great photo that is the drug of so many of us research types (and I'm sure anyone whose career requires years of work for what seems like a tiny result feels the same). Reminds me when my buddy and I fired up an IC we fabricated (I had so many problems with the process) and watched it perform beyond expectations. That preceded the ubiquity of cell phone cameras, but if my colleague had a shot it'd look a bit like this, except me laying on the floor with my fist in the air. :D

But let's not let my little story compare to the innovation she (and whom she worked with) brought on. Image reconstruction from sparse data is a HARD_PROBLEM; huge kudos.

P.S. I wouldn't let science deniers ruin this event, or, well, any other such achievement. It's a background noise to something so much bigger.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah ha, now I see my error. I was looking at the wrong photo. You are referring to the image of the Milkyway center, i was looking at the new black hole photo in M87 which is about 50 million LY away.
EDIT. The black hole itself seems to be about 40 microarcseconds wide.

I was referring to a relatively wide field of view captured by ESO's Very Large Telescope showing M87 and its satellite galaxies, so you are not in error!

Attachments

• Messier 87.jpg
    Messier 87.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 159
I'd never put a cat in a doughnut... Not even Schrödinger's...
Are you certain?
I reckon that the image they have published is a temperature profile recorded as an RF map and then converted to color for viewing by those outside the scientific community.
No, totally wrong.

They asked the software to visualize the frosting.

Indeed, this picture tells a story “Holy smokes, it really worked” . At 27 I was still trying to “master” aligning the phono cartridge on a Dual turntable - and they came with an almost foolproof jig.
There's a fixture to do that? I missed the memo.:eek:

Such attempts at explanation proved futile.

However, apart from his ignorance of taxonomy, he was quite a fungi!

(fun guy -geddit?:D)
Sigh. :D

Jn

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I once tried to convince a man in a bar that a fish was an animal.

Here in Maine, folks are arguing that rock-weed (looks like sea-weed) is "more animal than plant". That would change which department and tradition regulates rock-weed harvesting. Unlike many places, in Maine the land-owner must give permission to harvest from the inter-tidal zone, but fish may be taken unless specifically posted (I am not a Maine lawyer-- get a paid opinion before you harvest/fish).

The argument is that rock-weed is "free-living" in youth, floating around the gulf, and then picks a place to put down roots near shore.

The DNA, and the chlorophyll, are not likely to sway the thinking.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> required "sneaker net" a mass of hard drives that had to be shipped to a central location

The best observatories are VERY far from a StarBucks WiFi, being most of a mile up and many miles from any large town. At just 100' up and 5 miles from a town, I would not attempt to pipe huge datasets; some days the DIYA photos choke my wire. Yeah, bringing drives down from the mountain at least to a large university makes sense. Bringing them all to one table seems odd; maybe the price of cooperation was getting all the workers together for meet-and-greet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.