737 Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not take investment advice from a 30yr career commercial airline pilot, but when it comes to how many warning alarms a “freshman” crew, as opposed to seasoned factory test, or ex military pilots can handle - particularly from systems you thought they didn’t “need to know” about - well, I’d wanna hear from the guys actually flying the damned things.

As Juan said, that shoe didn’t drop very far
For now

When the lazy B gets their act together, the Max series may well be the most assiduously evaluated commercial airliners ever, but it’s probably time for some serious navel gazing at the FAA as well.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Last time a plane was implicated in crashes rather than human error or freak accidents was the DC10.
McDonnell-Douglas completely withdrew from civilian manufacture. I don't think that is an option for Boeing.

No, they didn’t. All of the MD- series were after the DC-10 production stopped.

That said, they were never really successful after that, since they never had the money to do anything but derivative products, the DC-10 really was their last clean-sheet design.

been on DC-10, 737 and a Lockheed L1011 which blew an engine. i tip my hat to the entire flight crew of each. practice, practice, practice!!!

one time my son showed me what happens when a Cessna 310 engine loses an engine -- it's more foregiving than the big-boys cited above.

Dennis Miller podcast a few weeks ago: "Why did kamikaze pilots wear goggles?"

Last edited:
Interesting side note to this whole Max saga - recent article in local newspaper about the tribulations that major airlines continue to endure in trying to maintain schedules with substantially reduced fleets. Specifically, Air Canada has been scrambling to replace the capacity of their 24 currently grounded 737Max 8s, by among other things leasing A330-300. Was on one of these on our most recent return flight from Toronto to Vancouver, and I must say it was the best flight I’ve had in years. Even in the middle 4 of the 2+4+2 double aisle plan in economy class, the reclining seats were almost as comfortable as my home lazy boy, and overhead height was almost enough for the 6’3” passenger on front of me to clear when unloading.
The shuttle from Vancouver to Victoria in Bombardier Q400 put things back into perspective.:eek:
“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking, we’ll be departing in just a few minutes, just as soon as the ground crew finishes replacing the main drive-train rubber bands. If you detect a slight chemical smell, don’t worry, it’s just those bands - they tend to off-gas for the first couple of flights”

I guess "Who's your daddy" what messed up Boeing. But during this time span, they did come up with the 787 DreamLiner so it's hard to place blame on one or two things. It's safe to say it's the software not hardware.

There's nothing more beautiful than a beautiful airplane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.