John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Instead of having Albert Neville Thiele ignoring Georg Simon Ohm, why is there not a clear reference to his work on the subject ?

Thiele, A. Neville (1975). "Load Stabilising Networks for Audio Amplifiers," Proceedings of the Institute of Radio and Electronics Engineers, 36(9), pp. 297–300. Reprinted Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 1976, 24(1), pp. 20–23.

EEs with access to the Journal might give us a description of Dr. Thiele’s technical propositions.

George

What I find much more interesting is what Joe's technique does to the wire and it's response.

Given a zero ohm amp with a 20 or 30 foot length of zip, a constant z load will force the settling time of the wire to become independent of frequency. IOW, ITD variation will drop close to zero, will be frequency and amplitude independent.

This removes the wire from the soundstage equation.

In addition, the zobel will prevent a high capacitance cable from making an amplifier unstable as the load goes high z below the unity gain bw point of the amp.

I've waited many months to see if Joe understood this as I didn't want to spoil his possible "novel" approach. Now it's not novel.

Jn

You're still novel, Jn.

I don't think having a fast settling cable is a trivial thing. But for the speaker itself? I'd like to simply hear it, more than talk about endlessly. Then I'd know if all this hub-bub is worth the time everyone is putting in.

Agreed. I keep writing responses than eraseing them right after I think " why bother ". I would love to see Thiele's reaction to these exchanges.

Yes. And Feynman's. If you read his cargo cult lecture: Everything he complained
about is concentrated here to the highest degree possible, coconut headphones included.

JC and his posse have long left the level of being funny. They have reached a state
where it is outright offensive.

It is insulting to insist against > 12 year olds that Santa is alive and kicking.

You're still novel, Jn.

I don't think having a fast settling cable is a trivial thing. But for the speaker itself? I'd like to simply hear it, more than talk about endlessly. Then I'd know if all this hub-bub is worth the time everyone is putting in.

Given human ITD capability in the 2-5 uSec range (frequency dependent), if a cable settling is frequency dependent and spans say 5 to 20 uSec, the possibility cannot be discounted glibly. I may not be able to discern at that level, but I don't care at this point. I point it out w/r to Joe's stuff as a bone to toss his way..

For me, the hub-bub of cable settling time on my speakers is not worth my putting effort into worrying about. I have other priorities.

Ground loops on the other hand, I am nefarious about, ground loop hum and noise bugs the living daylights outta me..no stone unturned..

jn

Hi everybody! Thought it might be useful to lighten the conversation a bit. I really don't know if Joe is promoting something useful or not, but I think he has the right to express his opinion without being criticized by others. Dr. Thiele is a known in audio speaker design circles, and JN's attitude even about his existence, without even Googling his name, is an insult to Joe and everyone else. Let's keep it professional, when it comes to criticism. For example, I am not a liar, in fact I would never knowingly lie on this thread. What would be the point? JN calls me one, on a regular basis. Why? Like the president, he finds that dismissing people who do not agree with him, and calling them liars, works for his argument. But his accusations have no foundation, it is just a way of trying to win an argument that has been done for centuries. Of course, attacking someones character and education is another way. You know, it gets old, after awhile.

Hi everybody! Thought it might be useful to lighten the conversation a bit.
Yeah, see my post above.

I really don't know if Joe is promoting something useful or not, but I think he has the right to express his opinion without being criticized by others.
What you stated contradicts one end to other by longing the right to express for one but not the other. If Joe has such right (which he does), then so do others (to express their criticism).

Let's keep it professional, when it comes to criticism.
Wait, so you want the criticism to come through as long as it is professional?

For example, I am not a liar, in fact I would never knowingly lie on this thread.
In the light of lightening the conversation a bit, "It's not a lie... if you believe it." (George Costanza, Seinfeld Show).

Loudspeaker cable settling time, wonder why I have never noticed the problem? Crosstalk, EMI pickup, power loss, even frequency tilt. Wonder what I haven't been checking? Maybe my cables are not long enough as to where it would matter?
Frequency tilt? That's new to me. Is this something about using a leveler to set up the cables? :drool:
I have one. Maybe I ...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.