John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generous of you but no thanks. Do you actually believe this works on any wine, most do not share my taste?

One fellow who worked for me when my shop was located in a not so good part of town took as he put it "a local favorite" bottle to a rather high end wine tasting. Wrapped in a napkin it was preferred by some. I would have thought the screw thread in the glass bottle would have been the tip off.

Now I put away a fair amount of Mouten Rothschild years ago. Virtually every expert has always mentioned it ain't that good and suggested less expensive better wines. Have yet to find that to be true in blind tastings with friends who usually haven't tasted either before.

So preferences in wine not surprisingly vary greatly.

Now for magical changing of tastes, even the type of dètergent and method of washing the wine glass can change the taste. So I do not put it past a bit of RF or non ionizing radiation to affect the taste.

Now would that make Mogen David pass as a decent wine? That I would find quite surprising.

So preferences in wine not surprisingly vary greatly.

You're talking to the wrong person, I had friends in the trade for the decades of the 70's through 80's, I've tasted everything top to bottom every first growth Bordeaux and grand cru Burgundy from the best vintages. Right now I just love something that tastes of its local soil with no pumping up, and that is really rare.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
All of this I do on a production floor in support of building very advanced stuff that many will never understand.

I hear that the Green Goblin gets his glider serviced in one of those buildings :).

All this talk of radiation reminds me of one of the test chambers at my first job. Big sign saying not to go in if you wear contact lenses. Whilst there was a story whispered that someone had ended up with eye damage there it wasn't written up anywhere and TBH if the field strength was that high I wasn't going in at all. But made a good scare story for fresh grads. I was more scared of the room where they were turning solid lumps of Beryllium.

I hear that the Green Goblin gets his glider serviced in one of those buildings :).

All this talk of radiation reminds me of one of the test chambers at my first job. Big sign saying not to go in if you wear contact lenses. Whilst there was a story whispered that someone had ended up with eye damage there it wasn't written up anywhere and TBH if the field strength was that high I wasn't going in at all. But made a good scare story for fresh grads. I was more scared of the room where they were turning solid lumps of Beryllium.

I deny any association with the green goblin..

Hmm, can't think of anything on contact lenses..

Turning beryllium, not sure.. IIRC, 4 micron and down was the particle size that was the problem. But it's been 35 years or so since I worked that stuff, so not sure about size. And don't know if small stuff is released during turning. Brass, I don't think generates small particles, even dry.

Jn

Now for magical changing of tastes, even the type of dètergent and method of washing the wine glass can change the taste. So I do not put it past a bit of RF or non ionizing radiation to affect the taste.
Detergent and washing is so much a no brainier, I'm shocked (shocked I tell ya!!) that you would even mention it. Of course the residue can impact taste.
Especially fine wines, the delicate ones.
But to even mention rf or non ionizing radiation (which is mostly the same,btw) as a possibility, that is just shameful.

Jn

Ps.. Shameful, I tell ya.. Next you'll be telling us that you missed a presentation simply because of Friday night traffic in NYC.. Oh, the inhumanity.

I know about thick skin, you've earned it.

Honestly, I think thick skin is when you care about what others say, but hold your tongue. Thank you for the compliment, however I believe it's more of an I don't care attitude.

In this case, insults have no meaning, no value, no impact. He does not know me, his barbs are typical Internet responses to the conversation. An unknown person half a planet away does not define me, never will. The responses are expected.

If nothing else, my wife taught me the meaning of emotional intelligence.

Within this discussion, very valuable lessons have been shown. When one sees a paper that presents a specific agenda, it is extremely important to understand who wrote it, who paid for it, why it was written (commissioned or part of research), whether it is actually a scientific endeavor or a pseudoscience tome designed to look like science, whether it is peer reviewed, and even if it is internally self consistent. (I have to note..when I'm reviewing a submission for publication or funding requests, one very important tell is internal consistency. If the writer is out of their area of expertise, I find that they are unable to retain internal consistency.) A copyright notice by itself should make the readers flee to the hills. The bio of the founder of that cell phone task force should make thinking people flee...if only they were of the questioning type and not lemmings.

It is unfortunate that the bulk of society lacks the basic skills to discern bogus science from real science. That is very valuable in this day and age.

Jn

Last edited:
JN,

Meant ionizing! But for the non stuff pretty sure a bit of time in a microwave would change the taste.

As to the ionizing I recall small shielded sources are used to sterilize food without changing the taste. Of course too much exposure turns some things into mush. As at that point it may glow in the dark, eating it may not be a good idea...

Of course you have a bigger toy if you want to try the experiment. (Can't imagine what your locals would think of the experiment.)

The warning is for those of us who have worked around enough magnetic material to have bits in our bodies. The pieces can move or heat up in the magnet field.
Magnetic bits can certainly be pulled by forces if they have high permeability.
Non magnetic, no. However, the eddy currents will fight rate of change of field. A stainless schelera buckle (sp) will fight movement, so can destroy eye tissue. A surgeon tried surgery in the field with a stainless scalpel. It fought his motion, and when he pushed hard the scalpel got very hot. They do not want mascara in the field, if it has any conductivity from the carbon black, it can heat due to blinking, which causes more blinking.
The biggest problem is the conductivity blurs the imaging.

Jn

These wouldn't by any chance survive being photographed?. Dan you continue to quote results without mention of controls of "secret"devices with no details and no tangible evidence but repeated reports of what your mates said.
Hi Scott.
The meniscus and trails should be photographable, the change in colour would be trickier in getting lighting and the right angles through the glass to reveal the changes.
The change in clarity is from typical 'turbulent' to a most unusual ruby/diamond like clarity/coherence.
Scott, at this stage I cannot reveal details for a number of reasons, but in time this will be forthcoming.

I'm off to a sound off between two staff engineers, both well experienced with 50k+ audiences doing their versions of a live (virtual) mix with an old school Aus vocalist on mic.
I am going to give one engineer an 'advantage' lol, this is going to be a whole lotta fun, more later.

Dan.

Hi Joe.
Here in Perth according to age of suburb, it's normal to measure 245V at the wall socket, very often 250V, sometimes 255V....old 250V AC standard.

This item of yours would drop AC to 220V<230V which is ball park for European AC voltage devices. For Tube amp transformer/rectifier derived HT supply the mains voltage is important, I expect this box provides safe operation of Euro tube gear on WA mains supply, and any claimed filtering is a bonus.

Dan.

Hi Dan

You might be right, but it does say 'Power Supply Conditioner' - so if I have a haircut, does that mean my hair being cut is the same as having a conditioner applied? Or maybe that one went over your head? Sorry, bad pun.

Busy getting ready for travelling and being at ETF18 next month. My discussion paper on the nature of current and back-EMF in speakers is done, so sending that ahead to... well, a limited list. You are on it. ;) But should have some interesting discussions. It was looked at by a physicist who is known in loudspeaker circles and to make sure the fundamentals are right. Got a pass.

Joe

Hi Dan

You might be right, but it does say 'Power Supply Conditioner' - so if I have a haircut, does that mean my hair being cut is the same as having a conditioner applied? Or maybe that one went over your head? Sorry, bad pun.
Reducing the AC voltage could be described as 'conditioning' for a tube amp, getting a hair cut is reconditioning. :tongue:

Busy getting ready for travelling and being at ETF18 next month. My discussion paper on the nature of current and back-EMF in speakers is done, so sending that ahead to... well, a limited list. You are on it. ;) But should have some interesting discussions. It was looked at by a physicist who is known in loudspeaker circles and to make sure the fundamentals are right. Got a pass.

Joe
Cool, I look forward to studying what you have uncovered.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.