John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan, the food and beverage sector is larger than audio. Success of your "Treatment" in food business will bring way more for you. Maybe you should contact some famous chefs for a demonstration. :)
Sure, a wine glass/bottle accessory would go viral, food is a slightly different subject but there is application.
The wine change has been semi formally assessed by an accredited wine judge who wrote a report stating and describing definite change.
Curiously he preferred the 'normal' version, all other subjects have preferred the 'treated' wines.
This was long ago, things have developed since then, perhaps he would prefer the treated wines now.

Dan.

Last edited:
Sure, a wine glass/bottle accessory would go viral, food is a slightly different subject but there is application.
The wine change has been semi formally assessed by an accredited wine judge who wrote a report stating and describing definite change.
Curiously he preferred the 'normal' version, all other subjects have preferred the 'treated' wines.
This was long ago, things have developed since then, perhaps he would prefer the treated wines now.

Dan.

So the expert did not choke. The wine enhancement stuff has been around for decades, most rely on an actual measurable chemical change such as hyper aeration or contact with a chemically active metal like copper or silver which removes sulfur compounds (even the wine makers do it when evaluating young wines). Very easy to either accidentally or deliberately aerate one sample more than another in a so called test. Simply opening a bottle and decanting half while corking the other half back up will change the two halves in an easily detectable manner.

Nice article tempering a lot of vinous nonsense, too late for me (I have fought for years that permanent temperature controlled storage is a waste of time and money). Wine Enhancement Devices Are Put to a Test - The New York Times

Enough OT.

Sorry Joe, I just mentioned the people that came to mind at that instant. In truth, there are a number of us who are experimenting with audio 'improvements' but most would rather not contribute here, but often lurk, reading the tread, but not contributing. Contributing 'far out things' makes trouble for the contributor. I have only survived because of my professional reputation that is derived from other sources.
One of the things that almost 'torpedoed' me here was the introduction of the Bybee-Curl Power Conditioner without consulting me. It was a real embarrassment when it was put up here, because I have continually stated that I don't work with Jack Bybee directly, and that is still true, but having my name so blatantly put on the product seemed to indicate the contrary. In truth, Jack did use a transient suppression circuit that had only passive parts that I had designed for him, years earlier, and the rest was Jack's, but I couldn't explain that adequately to SY, apparently. I do have this conditioner in my big system (I don't use it daily) and I did look inside, and I can't recognize or understand a thing inside, except what my minor contribution is. I am sorry that it made me a 'suspect' of promoting stuff nefariously, but what can I do now? I asked Jack about it, because I am always concerned with 'use of my name' for promotion of products that I have little to do with with any company, and apparently he was going to give me virtually all the profits on the conditioner for my old age retirement reserve, but then he found they were too difficult to make, and he stopped with just making five or so. He then 'threw me a bone', by giving me the prototype, long after the conditioner's introduction. See how things can be misconstrued?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
One of the things that almost 'torpedoed' me here was the introduction of the Bybee-Curl Power Conditioner without consulting me.
….

but I couldn't explain that adequately to SY, apparently.

….

He then 'threw me a bone', by giving me the prototype, long after the conditioner's introduction. See how things can be misconstrued?

SY (2015) had only tried to help you understand that your name and fame were used for the benefit of someone else.
It seems he was right (again).

George

Howie, am sure that I have been fooled too, in some situations. Still, if I and some other people, who seem to be my colleagues, hear a similar difference, I suspect that it is probably real.
Yesterday, I participated in an audio talk for the SF Audio Society, but before we started, a listening comparison was made from different vinyl cleaning machines on identical new recordings. To my surprise, EVERY repetition sounded different, not just in background, but in the timbre of the human voice on the recording. It was surprising, because I had never heard the recording before, and I sat in the middle, between the speakers, in the front row.

Guess what. Records are never identical. Many stages in the process have wear. Stampers and dies wear with every pressing. Part of the reason CD are a better delivery system.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
CD is a better delivery system, but unfortunately it is still not trivial or cheap to make a good dac that can accurately reproduce everything recorded on a CD. Don't know when if ever the price for good ones will come down to what most people are willing and able to pay.

But it is easy to make a DAC that makes a vinyl chain of reproduction look stupid.

Most people listen to music in ways that they are entirely happy with, it's not most people you refer to, but a handful of audiophiles...

Most people listen to music in ways that they are entirely happy with, it's not most people you refer to, but a handful of audiophiles...

Ignorance is bliss, it seems. If people knew what they were missing and could get it at an affordable price, they would want it. One problem is there are no more stereo stores to go hear what good sound is. Unless one knows someone else with a good system there is no way to find out.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ignorance is bliss, it seems. If people knew what they were missing and could get it at an affordable price, they would want it. One problem is there are no more stereo stores to go hear what good sound is. Unless one knows someone else with a good system there is no way to find out.

:) . :cool:

A big problem because I think younger generations like better sound and would pay for it.... if it existed anywhere. Other than cars, TV, computers and MP3 players, where can they ever hear top quality sound??

THx-RNMarsh

Were stereo stores ever a good source of top quality sound? I only remember getting the sales pitch and playing games (intentional or not) with volume. Having that many speakers out in any room meant none of them were set up correctly etc etc.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Were stereo stores ever a good source of top quality sound? I only remember getting the sales pitch and playing games (intentional or not) with volume. Having that many speakers out in any room meant none of them were set up correctly etc etc.

There were a lot of Hi End Audio stores where it was set up well and had good acoustic listening space. All gone???

With portable everything..... it is portable storage/DAC and headphone amps and headphones. The next generation of audio.

Which can sound very good. Next is small speakers/wireless and small PA's for them. Then next after this... we might get back to larger floor speakers with real bass etc and better PA's for them. So, keep the fire going......

-RNM

Last edited:
What was in a stereo store may have depended on its location. As a possible parallel, there is a Guitar Center in Sunnyvale, the middle of Silicon Valley. They have a great selection of guitars some of which cost thousands of dollars.

There is another Guitar Center in Sacramento. Not many guitars there cost more than around $200. A salesman said that is all the main office sends to that store.

Totally fair points. My defensive mechanisms towards these sorts of sales may well have ruined it for me as well. Far cry from a well set up room with no expectations beyond a bunch of music to run through. In those cases though, they could be crappy computer speakers and I'd enjoy myself with the dedicated time to just listen.

I was at the Midwest Audio DIY fest on Saturday in Des Moines.
It's a DIY speaker get together.

I was impressed and surprised how many mini and micro speakers are being made and how good they sound. Many of the builders commented that they are doing this for their kids in college, high school, et al.

Maybe it's how to get the younger folks interested.

I know when my adult kids come with friends they all get big eyes, none of them have ever heard a decent system and many didn't even know this level is even possible.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Marantz CD5004 CD player Marantz CD5004 CD player Measurements | Stereophile.com Please point out where this could be improved. This was $350 7 years ago and can extract everything in a redbook CD.

Don't know, never heard one myself. From the measurements it looks to me like it is pretty good, but could be that it has enough IMD to obscure some low level details. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that is the case if compared with, say, DAC-3. Be great to listen to one sometime and see.

Also, it seems too bad that we can only look at measurements and try to draw conclusions about what something probably sounds like. I sure wish there was some way we could both listen to the same system and compare notes.

Hey, actually there may be a way! If you would like to mod a $39 dac to our current design then we could both be listening to the same thing! It would be great, and we would be very happy to have you join us in that journey!

Ignorance is bliss, it seems. If people knew what they were missing and could get it at an affordable price, they would want it.

That comment could be taken as an insult by some. I doubt the average listener cares enough to raise the quality of all their components to match or are you implying only the DAC is necessary? You certainly have my respect but your opinion on this baffles me.

That comment could be taken as an insult by some.

No insult intended. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Looking at the word ignorant:

ig·no·rance
/ˈiɡnərəns/Submit
noun
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about;

There doesn't seem to be any implication that one is intentionally ignoring something, only that there is a lack of knowledge or information. And I do actually think that people can be happy with their cell phone sound, or tv set sound, if they don't know of any better.

In addition, one can be ignorant of things when access to such knowledge is out of one's control. Whether it is a research paper behind a paywall, or the sound of a good hi fi, nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing in the way of an insult should be inferred.

EDIT: Regarding the question of what is necessary, I only recommend that people mod a low cost, $32, LME49600 headphone amp so that they can clearly hear what is coming out of the dac. At that point they can hear everything there is to hear when they want to, and they can make informed decisions about whether they would like to work towards a better power amp and speakers over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.