John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, that list is fairly far away from what I'm using that I find is more than acceptable. I do have some bottle type equipment that sounds good on my not-SET-friendly speakers. But the sand based equipment is my favorite. I say that as I design some new bottle type equipment. Who knows, might be better than the sandy stuff, but that is a very high bar to reach. It will be better than my best bottle type audio stuff.

Sources? Belt driven heavy platter from an audio great, MM cartridge from an old name in audio who also made cutting heads, and a fixed up mass market type brand of CD player - plus a tuner by a great Swiss/German brand. It is at least all separates, but my bedroom system isn't. Nor is my workbench system (int amp).

Music? The instrumental version of opera, rock, jazz and stuff. Not RAP or country & western based. Pretty standard stuff really.

At least everything I own has been at least aligned if not improved by me.

And if you try to explain, you'll realize they don't understand the difference between small signal and large signal.

Or the concept of input error signal to a feedback loop, we had a customer once when I just had to say, "You are wrong", it didn't do any good. The plot BTW is Dreams Less Sweet by PTV as audiophile an album as any Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
:)
I figured, but just thought I would throw that out there.

I often get people who want the latest internet modification done to their equipment. After some examination I often find serious faults with their gear and the deal I make with them is to allow me to fix it, then they listen and decide if they want to go further. Often there are red faces as they realise that their equipment sounded so poor that most forgo the "upgrades" as published on the internet. They are happier for it. I've also returned equipment to factory stock from a hack job to reveal a better sounding item.

What people think they can hear and their actual listening performance is often at odds with their belief system!

-Chris

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The miniDSP also does any needed EQ. :) I'll get all the coeff of the JBL filter and use them.

Mr. Marsh, I had e-mailed you the .xml file for loading onto the 2x4MiniDSP HD some two years ago. Have you tested it?

OK then the A/D or are you using the miniDSP in bypass mode? George has already done some measurements IIRC.
Richard is using the 2x4MiniDSP HD. I had shown measurements of the older 2x4MiniDSP.

George

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ok, I'll take it back. You do.

Oh. OK. Glad you clarified that for everyone.

That I don't know the difference between slew rate limiting and signal rise time (large signal-small signal).

And, Waly is never wrong about things like that.

Did I mention my girl has 160 IQ and that she is studying EE. I am going to make sure she hounds you to the end of your days. :)

<3

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Mr. Marsh, I had e-mailed you the .xml file for loading onto the 2x4MiniDSP HD some two years ago. Have you tested it?

Richard is using the 2x4MiniDSP HD. I had shown measurements of the older 2x4MiniDSP.

George

I got side tracked when the Crown/dsp/x-over came along and was PnP operation for the M2. But, now I would like to get them (.xml) again from you as the new power amps will arrive and I want to be able to replace the existing.

If you still have access to them? Thank you very much.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There is a lot of noise in the miniDSP system. I will also have to filter out the >20KHz stuff so it isnt going into the amps.

When you measure it straight thru, it isnt so hot. I have no reason to use it like a preamp and use it straight thru. Now when used as intended, as a filter, the distortion is a lot lower. I just checked with the FFT of the AP 2722 and also with the ShibaSoku 725D. Same. The 2H and 3H distortion dropped by 15 dB when tested as a LP 1KHz/48db slope filter. and about 6db lower noise. At or = to -110dbv re .7v rms/10K.

It is usable. Would like better but for <200 USD, I wont complain. Might get replaced some day.

DSC03316.jpg DSC03315.jpg

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Oh. OK. Glad you clarified that for everyone. That I don't know the difference between slew rate limiting and signal rise time (large signal-small signal).
(...)

Did I mention my girl has 160 IQ and that she is studying EE. I am going to make sure she hounds you to the end of your days.

As long as you are talking about the slew rate of an open loop amplifier, you certainly don't. But don't worry, no need to be embarrassed, you are in a very select companion.

Don't think your pupil will bother harassing from Australia a 70 IQ UK punker, but I'll survive anyway.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have he had a thread on it a while back.

I blinked and missed it.

If I put up something here it is to get response to improving or additional info... like gpapag sent me data file. In the process I can give some small contribution, perhaps.

Its too bad it seems to one that it is something special I am doing. No. I am just contributing from my experience or a test or how accurate it is etc. Not being a guru of any sorts in the least. Sorry Waly you seem to take it all wrong. Waly, go invent something new and useful with your time and knowledge.

Who can be expert in all areas? we have to specialize. Digital, analog, RF, microwaves, software and sub sets of those. I am not in competition with anyone but myself.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.