John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
My artist friend, Charles Wildbank from NY is here. This is his electronic hearing... beamed right into his head. :eek: A receiver under his skin/skull and cpu/transmitter/processor on ear. 22 bands of EQ. Says he has to turn it down... it can be too loud. Transmitter held in place by a magnet under his skin.

DSC03317.jpg

-Richard

Last edited:
My artist friend, Charles Wildbank from NY is here. This is his electronic hearing... beamed right into his head. :eek: A receiver under his skin/skull and cpu/transmitter/processor on ear. 22 bands of EQ. Says he has to turn it down... it can be too loud. Transmitter held in place by a magnet under his skin.

That's exactly what Chris and I suggested previously. As Demian wrote, though, it's great we have them, but we should take reasonable efforts to preserve what we've got for a long time. (Genetics and things outside of one's control excepted, of course)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The cochlear implant is a remarkable development but not something to aspire to. With care and luck, most peoples native hearing apparatus should be more than adequate to hear quite well (even if some significant degradation is present).

In Charles case he was born deaf.

Its isnt a cochlear implant. But it does stimulate the cochlea nerves to the brain.

-RM

Last edited:
In Charles case he was born deaf.

Its isnt a cochlear implant. But it does stimulate the cochlea nerves to the brain.

-RM

Wow! I take it this allows him to understand speech.

One of the mandate things in public spaces these days is a hearing assistance system. Some use infrared transmitters, the more common ones use FM transmitters. They really haven't been practical in large venues as the normal sound pressure levels are often greater than what the receivers produce. But for the first time I have had users plug their implants straight into the receiver.

Now for humor the rules require receivers for 2% of the seating capacity. So far none of my venues have ever used even eight of them.

Not to say all is well. One opening enough folks jammed to the rails in the wheel chair spaces the two folks in wheel chairs left as they couldn't see.

Waly, RNM has a thread running here on his headphone amplifier. It does use more than two transistors so it doesn't match your challenge exactly.

Also I found out one of my classmates was one of your faculty.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bill,
Thanks, but we expected this to be the way things were going. Anita gets frustrated when the subject of music comes up, and I have several HiFi systems throughout the house.

I'm thinking that the old radios I restore (1920's ~ 1950's) might become her form of entertainment. I also have a 78 RPM turntable and a bunch of 78 records that I had been collecting (we both love antiques) that just moved up in the priority list. I have to find something that will make her happy.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hitsware,
You're adding a sad , ridiculous spin .
If you completely block one ear, you can still hear bone conducted sound and still ambient noise, just very quiet. She has zero sensation of any kind of sound / noise or whatever in that ear. Her other ear has no highs from birth and that is the one she has left.

Try listening to mono with only one ear. She can't locate any sounds, there is much more to this than just the ability to hear clearly. Her balance is also badly affected. On the plus side, if she sleeps with her deaf ear up, she doesn't wake up with loud noises.

I'm just being factual, I take exception to your term "ridiculous spin". You should research some of this before you unload a comment like that.

We are trying to be positive with this and the post that Richard made (#7324) regarding the implant is a very interesting option, and that is what prompted me to say something.

She loves music and I will create as much in the way of sound systems as I can that she will enjoy. Another positive option.

-Chris

Chris,

As attractive as it may seem at times, retro-active birth control is frowned upon.

But best wishes for you and your main squeeze. There are still possibilities, the one I suspect may be of some benefit is an equalized hearing aid for the still functioning ear.

Still quite scary how fast one can loose hearing!

ES

Chris:

Best wishes for some kind of success for you & your wife on this issue!

I have Minnear's disease looming in my future (genetics) and had my first "taste" about 5 years ago when I woke up completely deaf on one side! I was fortunate however - I got it all back in suddenly in about 4 weeks, but was warned it will be back and I most likely will not be as fortunate that next time. Consequently, it is interesting to realize now how much more enjoyable even a lousy MP3 is with that spectre lurking in the shadows!
Just wanted to say I feel you guys pain and hope for the best ...

mlloyd1

Status
Not open for further replies.