John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then your "noticeable improvement" remains your preference and we will never know what the differences were. So, no benefit, and no loss, your comment can be ignored.
Its audio, guy.

Make your "own preference" by listening. My comment has only the interest to point your attention on some details about sound characters.

Now, if your question was about "what the differences are" (subjective), i can answer. Less grainy sound, more focused or detailed and better instant dynamic with film caps. I tried various film caps too, the differences were not so obvious (or determinant) to my ears: I'm not snobbish or an audiophile blind believer. Soi I choose good quality/price industrial ones. I will never even try esoteric over priced ones.

Agreed for mixing/mastering near field is best,

But more than some people are stuck with their listening room the way it is, making that room sound ‘live’ @ LP is the ticket.

Edit......and actually not a bad idea to listen to the same recording in a studio monitor configuration before tackling the room. Good job!
I understand it's not practical for most people, but we were talking about accurate ;) Constant directivity speakers still seem like a largely overlooked prerequisite to me though.

Richard showed his method for accurate, and others showed it has many flaws, so, in many ways the question still remains. Ultimately how you decide whether something is accurate is subjective in itself, fun watching people try though.
I don't thing Walter & Richard were trying to establish a scientific discovery on the laws of physic in action, here. Just trying to find some correlation of listening experiences reported by many people with the usual available measuring procedures, to see if any correlation could be found.
Correctly driven or not, the presence or absence of results in this measuring work do not affect the reality (or absence) of the listening differences reported by several people that seems to make-you uncomfortable with.
It would be pretentious to pretend that we know everything and know how to measure everything.

T, I think you just want to argue
Not at all.
Just I try to think simple (is beautiful).
About tis cap sound question, I noticed some differences, chosen what was working better (for me), end of questions. What the hell ?
Tried to share my experience, it is like to share a good restaurant address. Nobody is obliged, and I don't sell anything ....

Last edited:
Ok, I ment about your CD speakers post (mainly) and if you like simple (in some ways) what about dipole?
Do-you mean this ?
images

I don't fully agree with all says Earl Geddes.
Subjective assessments have a value depending on the knowledge and serious of the guy that report them.
They need to be verified by yourself to see if it correlate with your own experience.
Addressing a flaw need a correct scientific analysis to know the right direction to take.
Again, I'm not a believer, neither na audiophile, neither a pure objectivist.
My horns are spherical waves based. Before any publication of Le Clea'ch.
The idea was not mine, the choice based on what I heard.
I prefer the JBL M2 to the Earl Geddes NS15. There are many roads that drive-you to Rome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.