John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to be straightforward with everyone, I am not the world's best electronic engineer. I have deficits in my engineering education, partly because I have a degree in physics that kept me from taking of some engineering courses, and I mostly learned engineering on the job, where I worked with much more experienced engineers for years at a time. However when it comes to audio design engineering I have been very successful, because I have focused my continuing engineering education to virtually everything that pertains to audio, because that is my fundamental interest. Now, could I be a 'senior design engineer', in another field, and successfully do a good job? Yes, I dropped out of audio engineering and went into laser control design for a biomedical firm in 1984-1985. I did my job, but I wasn't terribly happy with it, and while I could keep up, I certainly did not excel in this sort of design, and now, I can hardly remember what I designed in any detail. But I can relate details of virtually every audio preamp and power amp design, even if I designed them 50 years ago up to the present. I think it shows where I excel. When it comes to analog audio design, I will take on anyone here.

Omg TNT! Clueless!

He started posting in my GB thread to inform me that he wasn't going to join, like I care, or like the thread is better off because someone stepped in to turn their nose up to a project. I think he wants to be DF96 or something, going into all the threads telling people off.

On another note, I'm glad John is around, and for his contributions. But sometimes he can be so far all over the place it drives us a bit nuts, when what we really want is to concentrate on stuff he can contribute to.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Don't feed the trolls. They for sure don't have anything helpful to add to your message - unless you need that cheering section. Doesn't look good on you though.

As for being an audio design engineer, yes. You are by definition looking at your life's work. But as you have noted, there are much better engineers around and you refuse to give them their due. I think that is the thing that bothers me about you. The rest of you is perfectly fine from my standpoint. Be a little more human and you'll have an easier time.

ridikas, you dropped a pom-pom. :)

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oppo's out of business.

Not hardly. They are number 4 or 5 phone manufacturer in the world. They just made a decision to abandon a declining and somewhat backward market- audio and video. They only sold those in the US. They shipped around 100M phones last year.

TI used to make instruments in the far distant past. They moved to IC's and make money.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
He started posting in my GB thread to inform me that he wasn't going to join, like I care, or like the thread is better off because someone stepped in to turn their nose up to a project. I think he wants to be DF96 or something, going into all the threads telling people off.

His questions seemed entirely valid. You were seriously bigging up something with claims you couldn't verify.

This is probably the most interesting amplifier on the DIYaudio forum atm. And not only is it interesting, it sounds damn good. It certainly will spank at least the vast majority of commercial offerings I've heard. (Pass, Para, Spectral, DartZeel, ModWright, VAC, ARC, Bryston, AVA, Jeff Rowland, McIntosh, Crown, NAD, etc etc)
and
Distortion: I don't have the equipment to check really low distortion, but can tell you it is somewhere 5-100x better than the standard TDA7293. (It does NOT sound like an average chipamp at all)

Extraordinary claims and all that!

Daniel, I should have sent you an invite to come over the other nite, had a "yuth" band of americana for a show in my shop. 125 people in an intimate acoustically neutral space (old church sanctuary). Youth well steeped in music writing new songs.
Videos – Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno

there is lots of good and great music out there, its just not related to any corporate activity.

Cheers
Alan

Agreed - these guys have a great vibe going. Just bought her album download.

Looking at download format info, WAV and FLAC (16/44.1) is for 'nerds or audiophiles'.

WTF

T

Agreed - these guys have a great vibe going. Just bought her album download.

Looking at download format info, WAV and FLAC (16/44.1) is for 'nerds or audiophiles'.

WTF

T

Yeah, audibility aside, I always want uncompressed files for an album I purchase. I don't care if I can hear the difference vs 320kbps AAC or not. I just want the "original". If I paid for a picture I would similarly expect the PNG not the lossy JPG version.

If you can't hear subtle differences in a circuit design; like for example a 1000uf reservoir cap with and without a 0.01uf polystyrene in parallel with it, then I just don't see how you can break away from the test and measurement loop. You are stuck in the pool of most EE's doing audio design. You come to this thread and berate John like a pissed off bully who can't get a date.

I just want the "original". If I paid for a picture I would similarly expect the PNG not the lossy JPG version.

Tiff, png is a compression scheme too. :) And agreed entirety with your point.

One of the joys of being in a multidisciplinary field is one never needs to look far to find the "I didn't even know that I didn't know that". At the same time it carries a demoralizing risk.

If you can't hear subtle differences in a circuit design; like for example a 1000uf reservoir cap with and without a 0.01uf polystyrene in parallel with it, then I just don't see how you can break away from the test and measurement loop. You are stuck in the pool of most EE's doing audio design. You come to this thread and berate John like a pissed off bully who can't get a date.

Why do you think 0.01uF PS is even desirable in parallel with a 1000uF electrolytic in a power supply? The value is extremely small and the series inductance of a through-hole polystyrene cap is relatively high compared to a surface mount ceramic. Look at a Z vs frequency graph of that cap and tell me what problem you are solving with it. It also has a chance of creating an anti-resonance impedance peak somewhere with the decoupling capacitors at the load.

You seem to have an axe to grind with engineers. Have a drink, chill out, and read up on some basics before you start attacking people. Wearing your ignorance as a badge of honor may get you brownie points from some in this thread, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.