John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the problem with Oppo is that they are a Chinese company and their products are reasonably priced. You can't get audiophile cachet that way. They are mid-fi at best based on their price tag ;).

If someone was smart they would buy out their entire inventory at 40 cents on the dollar and wave a few audiophile mods at them and sell them for $2500.

Let's be honest, high end audio market, at least by price, is very far along the luxury goods spectrum. This is why we see such a stagnation in performance above the mid 100's price point (for electronics, speakers a bit higher), if not regression in performance, where differentiation matters more.

Daniel, I should have sent you an invite to come over the other nite, had a "yuth" band of americana for a show in my shop. 125 people in an intimate acoustically neutral space (old church sanctuary). Youth well steeped in music writing new songs.
Videos – Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno

there is lots of good and great music out there, its just not related to any corporate activity.

Cheers
Alan

Alan, they're great; thanks for the link! I did a quick google search and couldn't find a calendar for y'all, but would love to know about shows at your venue (and generally a better idea what's going on; the Mercury is only so useful). Is bandsintown the best resource for that? I spend too much time at work (see: postdoc, and my personality) and not enough time out having good, clean fun.

Last edited:
I don't think that most of my critics here know much about audio design and development, whether its history, or how hi fi is designed today. A word to you guys, you are doing none of us any favor, including yourselves, going on about some subject that you are not really familiar enough with. It only adds to confusion and noise.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think this is one of the more confusing places I have ever encountered :)

John - yes you did some electronics that amplified frequencies between 20-20k with low distorsion, and package in an enclosure that appealed to the consumer. They got good reviews (so someone could sell a glossy magazine) and was appreciated by the customers. Fine. But I think you need to come off that horse. To me its evident that there are persons on this forum that has contributed to important technology development that is far more complex than what you have ever designed - your stuff is like kindergarten compared to technology that has had a deep impact in the world development and changed life for millons of people. And it's obvious that there are members that has contributed to this advanced technology. Sorry - audio is not one of them. And I bet that there are quite a few people here that do audio as a hobby and still more skilled (not me!) than you are. So... how about some respect and appreciation for others from up there?

//

Status
Not open for further replies.