The Weather

It's ok Chris, I believe Gnobuddy is referring to when the temperature is well below normal and I say: "global warming my (rear end)" :)
If I misunderstood you, I will gladly stand corrected. :)

I still don't know if you were serious or not - ever since some ignorant moron on Fox News first said that about a cold day in one particular town, thus completely conflating "weather" and "climate", and proving that he has no clue that both mean and variance are part of every data distribution, millions of other climate deniers smugly repeat that on every cold day, as though they've said something clever.

-Gnobuddy

My shovels have retired. 30 years of shoveling was enough.

Attachments

• 20200105_140642.jpg
    20200105_140642.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 87
With a couple of efficient gas fireplaces, we tend these days to not heat the whole house. The downstairs bedroom now repurposed as man cave/junk room is usually the coolest room, and yesterday evening was 11.5C.
Snow accumulation yesterday & overnight was approx 300mm. That and the stiff breeze expected later today - gusting to over 100km - will cause some scattered power outages that could take many days to fully repair. Hope you’ve got a good supply of fuel for the generator, Dave.

This is some serious cold here. Forecast overnight is -43 with wind chill. I need to buy some wool socks and long underwear.

I spent the afternoon researching car batteries. The car my wife drives has not been starting in the morning, even though the battery is only about a year old and is left with block heater on around the clock. A LOT of Googling resulted in gold: someone who had shoehorned a bigger battery into that model. Have to do it as soon as it warms up.

-36 C this morning here.

Leadbelly

I found old blankets, sleeping bags, or comforters etc. over the hood plus a tarp will help keep the heat in and the wind out. You could even throw an interior car warmer under the hood or one of those new small square ceramic heaters for extra help.

Just be sure to use a heavy 14 or 12 ga outdoor extension cord if any distance is involved.

Do you have a good synthetic oil in it also as it sure can help!

You lucky people in southern AB are supposed to get + C temps next Mon. or so!

When it rains it pours! Not only was the one car not starting, the other car had a tire go flat! Seems to be holding air now, so looks like cause was cold temperature and not puncture.

Thanks for all the tips. Have to say after having done this for years on multiple cars, nothing beats a larger battery. It's always with the car; no tools, plugging in, etc. required, just the brute power of 700 CCA anywhere you are.