The food thread

Cinnamon, nutmeg -- that time of year!

One of the interesting things about nutmeg -- the "nuts" remain fragrant for years!

In baking, "mace", the external coating of the "nutmeg" can be an even more appealing spice.

This is getting more and more difficult to find locally. I use at least 2 oz/year making Raisin Bread from an old family recipe from Thanksgiving to Christmas

My peak year was 60 loaves weighing about 3# each.

Nutmeg is also said to be hallucinogenic when consumed in sufficient quantity, but it makes one puke as well. (No, I have not tried to verify this assertion.)

Did I miss why you moved?

Work. "New" job. I used scare quotes because the job isn't exactly new. I worked, until last Thursday, for a consulting firm, on an engagement for a single client, an American firm in the financial sector based in NY. We did operations for some IT stuff too boring to describe, but the systems I support(ed) were principally in NY, VA, LN (UK), HK, and TK while I sat in little old Halifax with a bunch of very smart and talented Maritimers. Anyway said firm hired me away, brought me up to the show, now working directly for them in their Montreal office, doing exactly the same job with the same teams for considerably more money (too much to refuse). My honey will join me later when I have a permanent place to live and a few things are straightened out back in Hfx (like what to do with our house and cat, making sure the Child is in a good situation, and of course SWMBO's medical situation). I am in an airbnb for the month while I transition and apartment hunt.

Good news: Montreal Opera Company is performing Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" this month, I think I will take in a show. Last saw it at the Met a few years ago with my daughter.

Other good news: Montreal is a great city for food!

Thanks. Next year is going to be worrisome as the medics intend to take her off the immune suppressant drugs. Chance of relapse is high so they need to monitor her very closely; at least they know what they are looking for and can screen for the "bad" antibodies in her blood, which is pretty amazing. This is why she doesn't want to relocate for a while, and have to deal with a new/different health care system She likes her rheumatologist, he knows her and has treated her since she was diagnosed. Moving might be straightforward, or it might be bureaucratic hell. This makes my life less pleasant for a while but it is the right decision for her.

Speaking of "I say carrot juice is delicious"
A few years back, a friend was on the juice kick, I even bought a juicer, we tried celery juice too, now that is imo way better than carrot juice, but much more expensive. One celery bunch made about a glass of juice. To die for imo. The friend drank so much carrot juice, that his skin was turning orange :) bags of pulp too.
We could get a 50lb sack of carrots from the farmer down the road for $2, feed carrots, intended for the livestock. I saw the truck last week dropping off a couple of loads of carrots for the sheep farmer.

New range

New apartment, new appliances. I need to buy a fridge and stove. Some of you here have talked about induction stoves/cookers/hobs, I have never used one. What is the general verdict? Also, while I generally use SS pans, sometimes a non-stick pan is nice; I think most of them use an aluminum base, so I assume they don't work with induction stove tops. Am I right?

Any recommendations for fridge and stove brands (not counting nose-bleed territory, sorry)? I generally like my LG range back home, but it sometimes gets flaky*. I hate my Samsung fridge because it floods (yes Cal I have yet to try the coat hanger defrost trick). Some fridges are ridiculously loud, I'm listening to one right now (brand is Fisher & Paykel, never heard of them before).

*The LG range has intermittent problems where the burners do not obey the controls, like for the last little while turning the left rear element on causes the left front element to also come on "High". Turning the left front on without the left rear works fine. For a while the right side had a similar issue then went back to normal, etc. It has been suggested that this is because the vent for the oven is right under the control/logic/relay boards and steam, grease, heat etc gets into the circuit boards, which is the best explanation I have heard. I don't know whether other brands with similar design have the same problems.

There's only about 3 manufacturers for fridges, but in general, avoiding all the gadgets and gizmos is the most surefire way to get a reliable one. So avoid water spouts and ice makers. The old freezer over fridge combo tends to do the best.

I like induction but I also miss gas when I cook with it. There's plenty of nonstick fry pans, and not necessarily expensive ones that will have a skin of magnetic stainless with a core of aluminum. Don't get stuck on the much more expensive stove because of a $20 pan, especially nonstick which I consider disposable.

There's only about 3 manufacturers for fridges, but in general, avoiding all the gadgets and gizmos is the most surefire way to get a reliable one. So avoid water spouts and ice makers. The old freezer over fridge combo tends to do the best.

I've been a home-owner for over 40 years, and ice makers, particularly where you have hard water, are an expensive nuisance. To fix a SubZero icemaker will set you back over $500.

especially nonstick which I consider disposable.

Costco sells a kit of non-stick pans for $159 --

The cheapest non-stick pan we ever had lasted about 10 years -- a non-stick wok made by Calphalon -- I said "cheap" as my son was the manager of a Williams Sonoma and pulled it out of the dumpster.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I enthusiastically recommend the ridiculously low priced nonstick pans by T-fal. They have the best nonstick surface I've ever used and they last several years before the nonstickyness begins to turn not-quite-so-nonsticky. 20 bucks for the 8 inch omelette pan, 35 bucks for the 12 inch general purpose skillet. A screaming bargain for a high quality tool.

Amazon.com: T-fal E93802 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan, 8-Inch, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: T-fal E93808 Professional Nonstick Fry Pan, Nonstick Cookware, 12 Inch Pan, Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator, Black: Kitchen & Dining

I enthusiastically recommend the ridiculously low priced nonstick pans by T-fal. They have the best nonstick surface I've ever used and they last several years before the nonstickyness begins to turn not-quite-so-nonsticky. 20 bucks for the 8 inch omelette pan, 35 bucks for the 12 inch general purpose skillet. A screaming bargain for a high quality tool.
]

+1......these are no joke!
My favorite place to get them is goodwill.....usually $5 or less.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 7.07.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 7.07.18 AM.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 79
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The two most used pans in our house are a 28cm shallow pan that can go straight in the oven if needed and the Chapati skillet. Almost everything gets cooked in the shallow pan so we kill the tefal lining about every 5 years. I'd love to get the hang of stainless, but every time I've used one the onions stick before I've even got going. I'm doing it wrong.

COLD weather snap here (been below 20-F for over a week) = "Chili Time":

What are the member favorite types around here?

Mine is different for this part of the country - I used cubed chuck instead of ground (it's worth the effort) and stew it in an enameled CI Dutch Oven with beer, onions, and a little tomato. Then add an almost "mole" type chili sludge made with at least 3 different dried chili types (pan-toasted and re-constituted in juice from the meat and ground-up with an immersion blender), several types of beans, and a little Mexican chocolate & LOTS of Penzey's Chili Powder. Serve over rice

I also cook some pretty mean Red Beans & Rice for a Yankee!

Last edited: