The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
5 weeks after planting the heirloom tomato seeds, I transplanted the seedlings which germinated (C. LeHoullier "dense" planting method) from 1.5 inch cells-on-flats, into 4 inch free standing round pots. About 1/3rd of the seedlings had large True Leaves, while the others had cotyledons only, perhaps with a little bump. This is my first attempt and I may not have timed it optimally. About 30 different varieties in total. 1/3rd Dwarf, 1/3rd Cherry, 1/3rd Indeterminate.

Next activity is Tax Day or thereabouts.

In Austria they usually call these Rouladen (meat rolls). Do you put pickles in them? Interesting that the swiss call them "meat-birds", although I guess they are trussed up somewhat like a stuffed bird ;)
I filled them with carrots, celleriac and other veggies, but those ones we get in the butchery are filled with minced meat usually. I have no clue aboth the name Fleischvogel :hypno1:

On the pix you see my version of Kohlrouladen i made a few weeks ago, filled with chopped meat and veggies.

Attachments

• IMG_5957.jpg
    IMG_5957.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 94
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Did you ever try Indian River variety of heirloom tomatoes, I've searched for years for the ones my grandmother grew. The foliage had a more intense smell than most heirlooms that I've picked and the fruit ripened to the point that it would never survive commercial shipping. They were also very sweet/sour.

Didn't plant them this year, no. You'll be pleased to know that a big seed supplier in nearby Monterey Calif, offers Indian River seeds for sale: (link #1)

And the grower's / taster's notes on Tatiana's site are quite positive: (link #2). I'll buy some to plant next year, thanks for the tip!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That could be it, she also had some hybrid of Roma that I'm still looking for..

My guru says that the "Speckled Roman" heirloom (link #1) , (link #2) has an "intense" flavor. I bought Speckled Roman seeds over the winter but they didn't get planted this year; unbounded enthusiasm got waylaid and keelhauled, by limited full sun space in the yard.

My problem is to get our farmer to try them out, they have to worry about disease since they are 100% non-interventionist (we share the risk by paying up front for a years crop)

You could wait 17 months till the harvest of 2019. I'll mail you two Indian River tomatoes every week, grown from Ibsen's seeds, so you can find out whether their taste resembles what you remember. Sending them weekly lets you sample at different stages of ripeness; a prudent move since neither you nor I know in advance when these guys are going to be fully ripened. Besides, maybe your gran always picked them underripe and that's part of your childhood memory.

Maybe you'll discover that Gary Ibsen's seeds grow a decent tomato, but definitely not the tomato you (think you) remember. If so, why pester your farmer to break a rule, just to get tomatoes you don't really love.

A classic here is grilled steak with fried chicken livers and a madeira sauce.
The fancier international version is Tournedos Rossini with fried duck livers and madeira.
The ragu of a classic as lasagna Bolognese contains half a pound of chopped chicken livers, wouldn't taste the same without them.

Pan-fried chicken livers on toast for breakfast ? Pass !