The food thread

what is the perfect temperature for freezing salmon?

Around 32F.
Any lower and your sinner a** should fry in fish foody h***

(If you insist on freezing salmon, the fish should be vacuum bagged. To do that properly requires a professional vacuum machine, decent vacuum sealers start at some US$ 2K. In a vacuum bag, the fish can be frozen to around 5F)

Our freezer is set at -18º

-18C is -0.4F, which is not cold enough.
Killing the rascals requires -20C/-4F for 168 hours, or -35C/-31F for about 24 hours. Domestic freezers can't reach either of those numbers.

Real risk with raw salmon, as goes for a lot of other fish and squid, are anisakiasis worms/larvae.
To get rid of the larvae it suffices to clean salmon till it's just fillet. Then check the salmon fillet for any worms present in the tissue. A pair of tweezers pulls worms out of fish with ease.

I plastic wrap the fish and then vacuum seal. I use a Foodsaver sealer and it seems to do an adequate job. Our freezer is set at -18º Why freeze? Because they tell you to when eating raw fish and I rarely enjoy the cooked version.

At Tsukiji market they use liquid nitrogen, some tuna being almost a meter thick. I forgot the name but one of the rarer parasites requires surgical removal.

Tarte tatin and Clafoutis aux cerises de Montmorency vie for my all time favorites.

You might appreciate a story about the past. When the wine market was sane (70's) in an off vintage you could cook with a whole bottle of Chateau Pichon Lalande. The '73 was $40 a case and still an OK wine.

Pichon Longueville, Comtesse LaLande -- Grand Cru Classe -- exactly one bottle left -- my biz partner back then was a great guy tremendous lover of the grape, we had one customer on the Boulevard Hausman but always managed to find a way, reason or a necessity of visiting Bordeaux.

Apparently the Comtesse and the Count had a falling out.

Cheating with ready made puff pastry... But the end result looks decent.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20180106_124510309.jpg
    0_IMG_20180106_124510309.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 156
I thought you might, Cal! :)

Ever considered publishing an illustrated cook book?
Not really joking either, there is probably enough to fill half a book in this thread.

Those big 'shrooms are great. I used to make hot sandwiches with them: Chop up the stalk and some garlic, sprinkle on the 'shroom, add some butter plus a wee bit of mustard. Stick the lot in the oven til done and then in between a crusty roll.

They look great! But... did you steal these from a giant's garden?
Yes, but don't tell anyone. They come from the gardens of the great Castle Portobello. I steal them after dark.
Ever considered publishing an illustrated cook book?
Yes, but a wise man once told me to never mix business with pleasure. A very wise man indeed.
Those big 'shrooms are great. I used to make hot sandwiches with them:
When you grill them they are a lot like a meat patty only very mushroomy. I really like doing that :)
The only time we didn't have a meat centered supper, was if it was replaced
by mushrooms or eggplant :)
(fried not stuffed)
Yup, fungi can give you what you think you're missing in texture.