The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
When you type

cook bratwurst beer

into Google, you get hundreds of recipes. 98% of them tell you not to boil the bratwurst, but simmer it below the boil. Add ingredients T, U, V, W to the simmering beer. Remove brats after X minutes, dry them off, then cook on a charcoal grill for Y minutes. Serve on lobster rolls, with some or all of the extra ingredients that were simmered.

However it's tough to tell whether the author is from Florida or Utah or Delaware or British Columbia or Wisconsin, so it's tough to gauge the Wisconsin-ness of the printed recipes. Add that to my lack of a charcoal grill, and I find myself wanting recommendations from Badger State residents.

Some commenters (whose Wisconsin authenticity is impossible to determine) are adamant: use cheap lager style beer. The brats come out terrible when you use artisan beer made from hifalutin ingredients. In my first batch this morning, I used lager beer in cans which I bought from Trader Joe's, 6 cans for $6.99.

I’ve tried it both ways simmer first (sauerkraut, caramelized onions,caraway seed, couple of juniper berries,lager beer) then grill ……..or grill then simmer. I prefer the latter as the brat seems more flavorful, trick of grilling first is not to burst the skin letting all the juices out (its harder than you might think!)
No matter how you do it you’d have to really try hard to make a brat taste bad! :p

My favorite way to do brats, in the oven with onions, bells and oil. These ain't no store bought sausage!

20210127_213326.jpg
20210122_203615.jpg

Gotta call you out on this one Cal…….apparently you’ve never had a proper brat!
Bob my friend, most of the sausage I eat is homemade so you may be right. I don't grind the meat into pudding but I tend to season more like Knockwurst than Brats
I have been the 'guy with the tongs' at many a tailgate party and yes, the sausages go into the beer bath on the side burner in, of all things, an aluminum tray.
I still hate myself for those days.

I've got one of those too, mine is propane. The big smoker was my neighbors (we shared a back yard) and he started a BBQ ghost kitchen a couple years ago and is currently in process of opening his own brick and mortar shop right now. I've been helping him with it, I work in the plastics industry, so I've built the sneeze guards for his service counter, just finished some table tops for him today I need to deliver, too.