The food thread

Ginger
Cardamom
Cumin
Others I have mentioned previously.

There are also breads / buns / leavened flat breads like 'Shirmal' and 'Kulcha', which are made here, Kulcha can be made in a tandoor or an oven.
Kulcha is a leavened baked item about as thick as a slice of bread, there are sizes from palm to naan in it, depends on the bakery.

Some recipes call for the addition of milk to the dough at the time of kneading, others call for yogurt, sometimes sour yogurt, and sometimes the water given off by sour yogurt.

And the deadly sins series of books had some interesting sandwiches....Lawrence Sanders, Inspector Edward X. Delaney....Rye, Pumpernickel, blood sausage, alligator meat, etc.
That should give you some ideas.

Adding a liquid fat (milk, butter, oil, whey) softens the crust more than anything. Its used as a structural additive.

Buttermilk and baking soda is a quick bread leavening mix (think American biscuits, pie crust, pancakes) I bake with a traditional sourdough starter or levain, so the acidity of buttermilk would be lost and would be just added protein content, which can help make a chewy crumb, but can go too far. Maybe with a plain flour instead of high protein...

Cumin, hmm, I could do a chili bread.
Green cardamom, clove, tea, maybe a chai loaf.
Ginger and horseradish might be good. Or a gingersnap sweet loaf.

I have a rye starter, make pumpernickel too.

Blood is interesting. I really enjoy Blutnudeln. I might look into this a little.

Pumpernickel style "steak house" bread.

20231020_072412.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So here is the finished Lechon. Very good again.
Not going back to using belly, no chance.
4x the price and double or triple the fat and I don't enjoy it any more.

EDIT: You wouldn't know it by looking, but even this leaner meat is not dry. The picture says otherwise but it's pretty moist.
Now that the technique has been learned, I will brine it going forward

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Funny, I dont consider the major organs like heart or liver any different than muscle. I also really love lengua. Tripe, kidneys, lung, are a bit much for me in general.

Bread. To me its a scientific explanation of cooking. Balancing ingredients within a formula to achieve a desired result. After I stopped thinking it was a mystery that only grandmothers and European artisans had learned through years of tutelage or necessity, approached it with a written formula and processes, changing only one variable at a time it led to a better, more thorough understanding of it and now I'm able to look at a recipe and understand it completely and make changes I see fit, all within the confines of the formula.

After all, its just flour, water, salt. Thats it. That's the formula. Work within your desired balance of those learning how extra things affect each category and its easy.

I'm okay with most all parts of an animal. I mean how can you have Pho without the two types of tripe or tendon?
How can you have hamburger without heart of kidney?
How can you have sausages without intestine?
Tongue and bung? Well they just sound good when you say them.
Brains? Yummy.

It's all in the prep, both physical and mental.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm okay with most all parts of an animal. I mean how can you have Pho without the two types of tripe or tendon?
How can you have hamburger without heart of kidney?
How can you have sausages without intestine?
Tongue and bung? Well they just sound good when you say them.
Brains? Yummy.

It's all in the prep, both physical and mental.

Like my Taiwanese friend told me when I asked them what was in that sweet, delicious chinese sausage.

"Don't ask, just eat it"

A case where the parts are less than the whole.