The food thread

Duh.. wow pays these studies?

Depends on the study; I only consider those in peer-reviewed and refereed literature, with full disclosure of methods, sources, and data. White paper marketing tools from companies selling products and from so-called non-profits trying to raise funds are not terribly reliable.

Here in the US, the largest funder of actual research is the USDA.

It's epidemic.
I just learned that since 1998 Dekalb is a Monsanto trademark. d'oh!

This will all be moot, Monsanto has one patent expired 2011 and a second in 2014 and supposedly announced that the worst of their behavior will end (not that they put it that way). I didn't realize how few crops have GMO versions either.

I wonder what will happen with no royalties and free seed reuse.

Last edited:
I heard the american farmers are not taken into general US population statistics anymore.

About 2.5% of the US workforce is employed in farming.

My "ciotka" had a farm which is now a cloverleaf on I-77! It was a hard life. Lending money to farmers mostly leads to bad outcomes. In the late 1970's the US Federal Ag Banks allowed loans on the inflated value of land -- it was a pre-cursor to disaster just a few years later, much like the housing bubble we've just gone through.

While I am rambling on about farming -- did you guys know that the crop failure in Florida in 1926 eventually lead to the bank failures in 1929? It was like a pebble in a pond. Groucho Marx was able to make light of this in their first talkie "Coconuts" -- a film (comedy) seriously worth watching!

This will all be moot, Monsanto has one patent expired 2011 and a second in 2014 and supposedly announced that the worst of their behavior will end (not that they put it that way). I didn't realize how few crops have GMO versions either.

I wonder what will happen with no royalties and free seed reuse.

We will have to hope there is a local shaker community to tap into.

On the cheap tonight. Hard shell very nice, you're looking at about $70.

Attachments

• lob.jpg
    lob.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Party time, lobster, shrimp, and scallops. I don't like scallops wrapped in bacon so I came up with a variant. Yellow and orange peppers, leeks, and garlic roasted until very dry spiced with saffron, orange peel, and fennel seed, pureed as a spread and finished in the broiler with a sprinkling of smoked prosciutto. There also is garlic and cilantro mayo (Whole Foods mayo really is puss, too bad), cocklail sauce made by blending to death a good fresh salsa and adding horseradish, and a small dish of the lobster guts of course.

Attachments

• IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 107
Looks great. What are those things right outside the window? Don't they interfere with the music sometimes?

Morning and evening commute only. Problem is they ranout of funds to make both directions continuous rail. It's unbelievable how much difference it makes. SY was here I'll bet he never noticed, there were some distractions.

Last edited: