John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually very easy to pick the differences between gear - just feed one setup material which causes it to falter, then see if the other does the same; it would be extremely unusual for two separate systems to demonstrate the same set of faults and flaws - where have I seen something like that before, :D ? - if the worst comes to the worst, just go through a couple of bits of source material, wind up the volume a bit - it's a trivial exercise ...

Second attempt: This is the phono stage for the Pioneer SA-7700, clone it if you will:

Attachments

• Picture 51.jpg
    Picture 51.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 204
SE, I'm sorry to say it, but you're annoying and contribute nothing constructive to this thread.

I'm just pointing out those who talk a big game and lead people to believe they're contributing something constructive when all they're really doing is flogging a lot of unsupported nonsense.

Also, IMO, you're commiting a suicide here from the business point of view. Now that every person on the planet can read your 'remarks' about other people or manufacturers in the industry, good luck finding any potential buyers of your products.

I've been posting on online forums such as this for over 30 years. My views have remained consistent and I have never made any secret of them. And I am selling all the product I care to make. But thank you for your concern just the same.

se

Right now I am listening through my Marantz 10 tuner, CTC Blowtorch, large Parasound amp, and Wilson Sashas. I am VERY happy with the combination. I believe that the tube tuner takes a lot of the digital sound out of the broadcast.
And I've been listening to the internal sound of my very average laptop - using nothing more than non-hardware optimising, it's resulted in highly listenable to sound - no digital flatness or irkiness, but a space that gives one good pleasure ... provided one knows precisely what one is after, and what factors are important to deal with, this is the result every time, IME ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I didn't find that to be true, in fact in the end I figured upping the bias to 50W class A and doing a proper grounding scheme, on each channel accounted for 99% of the improvement. I did start with amps that had (I forgot what type) a film cap on the input but replacing it with PP and adding 10uF film across the 10000uF PS caps was not audible to me. I did rewire them with handmade litz wire but did not try w/wo a star ground so nothing can be concluded from that.

I guess Victor Campos was right. :)

Scott,

That reminds me....... what is the cause of higher harmonic distortion with bad grounding scheme? Where is the most common non-linear portion of the grounding?

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Good Luck, John, on your new PA.... it should be another high mark.

While SE is saving the world from his perceived and imagined evil doers .... the audio axis of evil conspiracy, I have been measuring Dadod's new power amp. It does not increase but a very small amount from 1W to 145W/8.

Here's just the latest sampling -- 145W/8/1KHz FFT >

Dadod 145W-8 FFT.JPG

1w is below -110dB 2H/3H.

Some PS ripple/modulation freq might be in there as I use two SMPS (at -135dB).

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I don't want to be too Machiavellian here, but perhaps having all these guys here in this thread is not such a bad idea.

If you shut them all down they'll only go somewhere else...

Or wasn't I supposed to mention that?

:p

There's no shutting them down. Until they can muster a cogent, rational argument (which I don't ever see happening), they'll always be the forum's chew toys.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.