John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try giving it a go today, :) ...

No fiddling with DBT for this, :p - foobar just downright irritates me, the NVH guys went on holidays when this was being developed - and the ABX module degrades the sound just enough to make using it a background annoyance to the procedure.

Interesting that the very tools that have great potential to be genuinely useful in this area, are poorly done in enough ways to be aggravating to use - I'm thinking of DiffMaker here, which has to be the worst piece of software I've experienced in many years.

Virtual DJ.jpg
Hi Frank, I recently discovered this VIRTUAL DJ SOFTWARE - Download VirtualDJ Home FREE due to a DJ friend obtaining a dedicated hardware controller for this DJ software.

The thing I like about this player software the ability to instantly and seamlessly crossfade between two 'same but different' recordings.

To this end I have set up a few keyboard mappings to allow instant A/B crossfade, play/pause, rewind, etc. (I can give the command lines if you like).

I have no reference as to the sound quality of this DJ app, but so far it sounds good enough to me on Toshiba X505 18"" laptop's speakers (Harmon Kardon no less !)

So far I have used Virtual DJ to compare Omicron and Pi recordings.
I am also using Virtual DJ to compare loopback recodings made via my Edirol UA-25EX usb soundcard.

Virtual DJ playback quality is sufficient on the laptop speakers to enable differentiation of recordings of different/modified loopback RCA-RCA cables.

Interesting comment about Foobar ABX rooting the sound....didn't pick it, I will take a closer listen next time I boot up my Stax HP rig.

Dan.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
George you didn't read what I said.

Scott
I read it, I agreed and commented here:
Good. Then why not test

I linked to the 'terminated bridge' article (from the time that people cared to explain and write the derivation of formulae you like :) ) as an info.
Maybe this method that does not need a directional coupler can help on the subject.
I can’t work on this before I finish characterizing all test equipment I have.

George

PS
No Dan.
The shield of the cable going to Scope Ch2 does not ‘touch’ the jig at the Current viewing Port.
It is connected at the other end only-through the scope case- to the gnd of the source.
The ‘return’ of the load is brought to the scope by the inner conductor of this cable.

Last edited:
It would seem your definition is pretty loose if 'rope lay" is all that is necessary to be Litz wire. Usually the frequency of operation, current requirements voltage requirements etc. all play into the design and selection of Litz wire.

You're reeeeally stretching it to try and defend your absurd claim.

I used the term "rope lay" to simply describe the "twists within twists" that is the fundamental characteristic of Type 2 litz, which is responsible for causing each individual strand to occupy all radial positions from the center outward and to ameliorate both proximity and skin effect, which is the whole raison d'être of litz wire.

In any case here Scotts Electronics Litz Wire Supplier Enameled Copper Magnet is a good source for DIY Litz wire for projects with some useful information including:

Yes, I source my litz wire through Scott. And the litz wire he sells is all of the "rope lay" Type 2 variety. I'll let him know that it's not considered to be litz wire and that he's engaging in false advertising.

se

Anyone ever notice, when you are listening to your favorite song, you don't really notice the fidelity?

Also. I have yet to hear any system, no matter the price, reproduce the sound you get from an old strat, playing around the 12 fret, through an old fender amp with its power tubes being over driven. It is quite magical live, it is NEVER reproduced. Maybe all those hundreds of 5534's used in the recording process?

My neighbor has a couple of Grammy's for recording. His wife is a successful singer, eclectic stuff. He listens to his demos in the car, because that's what he knows and has learned as a tool. I always invite him over, but he feels it will mess with his ears. Most all the other musicians I know, do their critical listening the same way or with those monitors above the console. non are that interested in the fidelity. Some of these people have played recorded with Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Joe Cocker, Ringo Starr. the list goes on.

So what our we getting out of our fidelity? Reproduction of bad audio couth?

My neighbor has a couple of Grammy's for recording. His wife is a successful singer, eclectic stuff. He listens to his demos in the car, because that's what he knows and has learned as a tool. I always invite him over, but he feels it will mess with his ears. Most all the other musicians I know, do their critical listening the same way or with those monitors above the console. non are that interested in the fidelity. Some of these people have played recorded with Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Joe Cocker, Ringo Starr. the list goes on.

So what our we getting out of our fidelity? Reproduction of bad audio couth?

Been there done that, he or most in that industry listens that way because that's their reference and market, let him use your speakers with the fried tweeter for mixing, the song becomes a hit, then everyone and his dog would be lining up for your fried tweeter speaker special ..

Nothing to do with accuracy or fidelity, in fact few of them would know what to do if their monitors were accurate, hence the garbage you see in most studios..

I was asked about tape reproduce electronics just this last Sunday when I was with Joachim. It is just a wish at the moment. It is not easy to do and there is no funding. (yet)
I see.
John, if I might ask - looking back at your works for MoFi and Wilson and with all the experience gained with phono stages, would you do anything differently today?
I'd like to build 8 channels of PB electronics for A-80 some day to transfer recorded material to digital (non profit/no funding) and, although I think I've paid enough attention to all the details you've published here before, I'm always interested to learn more.
Best,

A.Wayne,
I agree it is amazing to be in the studio and watch them listen on a pair of Auratones or go out to the car to decide the final mix. Boggles the mind that anyone would do that but that is the reference that they seem to go by, how will it sound on the worst reproducer.

It will sound best on the lowest denominator, by design, I guess today ear buds must be some kind of reference also.

A side note, I was able to break my 14 year old out of ear buds, finally got her to use a decent Pr of headphones, initially she did not like, after an hr or so of use, she called me to say how much she loves it and could not believe the difference, cant wait to get her a really good Pr ...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.