And what did we buy today?

re DNA testing - wouldn't they show that going back far enough we are all either "African", or from the same garden?

I definitely am a close relative to the Piltdown man ....

Will pick up my six bottles of beer liquor store, all brewed near my childhood place.
My pre-owned iPad is also waiting to be picked up from the pots office (well the next grocery store) and I got the pcbs for MFOS 32-step sequencer yesterday. However FedEx/PostNord (= Swedish Post, often refered to as PostMord, Mord as in Murder).

Attachments

• IMG_6380.JPG
    IMG_6380.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Nice new Brother color laser printer, on sale at Best Buy for US$200. This thing is big & heavy, but feels solid and is surprisingly quiet. The driver installation & wi-fi setup were painless, much easier than the little Brother mono down at the shop.

I've had my fill of inkjet printers drying out & fouling after I forget to use them often enough to prevent it. The only thing this won't do is glossy photo stock, although apparently we can take our thumb drive to the drugstore for that these days? Have to try that sometime.

[Edit] Just googled "laser photo paper," and there appears to be just such a thing. Be right back, heh.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Nice new Brother color laser printer,

Please beat it and comment on it. I have two tired printers here so may be shopping soon.

You do understand that this $200 printer takes four $70-$95 cartridges? And the comes-with carts may be quite shy of a full load. That is what is killing me on my laser-- the carts last just long enough that I do not feel quite cheated, yet the pain each time I replace one is strong. Also it tends to die on one color, then just as that order arrives another color quits. I'm actually more comfortable throwing $90 at the inkjet for the full pack of four about every 6 months.

Yes, laser on coated paper is an excellent photo image.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At least some of the early brothers were made by Xerox. I have had a DN6180 for many years. The hi-capacity black toner cartridge costs more than the printer cost me, but last sme for 2-3 years. I have only had to swap 2 colour carts. Really good value per page. Must faster than any inkjet i’ve had.Also prints on shiny labels.

dave

Please beat it and comment on it. I have two tired printers here so may be shopping soon.
I may not be the best choice for that type of review, sorry (see below).

You do understand that this $200 printer takes four $70-$95 cartridges? And the comes-with carts may be quite shy of a full load.
I do understand about the cartridge costs, researched that before purchase. I think my problem may be the opposite of yours. By that I mean that I use a printer somewhat infrequently, so print costs are less of a concern than just having something that works when I need it.

Yes, laser on coated paper is an excellent photo image.
I did wander out and buy some "color laser gloss paper" at Staples tonight. It isn't quite as shiny as the inkjet stuff, but it does make quite nice photo prints, for my needs at least.

Dewalt DW735 13" planer. Got a lot of woodworking projects in flight an rough lumber is way cheaper to work with (and gives a lot more flexibility).

There's refurbs on Ebay and a 15% coupon today on home goods, so I score it for $400 shipped, which is close enough to lesser systems used on CL for my work.