And what did we buy today?

I once had an M3, cant even remember what happened to it. I was also lucky to find a C3 at a yard sale; when it got the best of me, I sold it to a guy who traveled the US in a box van, picking up old Hammonds which he'd refurbish and then sell and ship to Europe. When he showed up, his van was stuffed to the roof with organs. He also took a pair of JBL L100s off my hands - also a yard sale find - saving me the trouble of having to pack and ship.

Those were the days.

Well, the water came back on after about 28 hrs, with the attendant hammer noises and much debris in the lines. After cleaning the crud out of the shower head, I went to remove the cap on the toilet fill valve to do the valve flushing procedure and managed to tear up the tank seal washer, which immediately started leaking like a happy little puppy. :mad:

Ah well. That valve has always been noisy as hell, so I've been thinking of replacing it for awhile. Fluidmaster now makes one with a brass flange; guess that'll be the one, along with a new metal-fittings supply line. Maybe save me some grief down the road. Meanwhile, I've still got the flush bucket, and at least now I can fill it in the tub instead of driving across town.

The weirdest thing about this little adventure was how I kept forgetting the water wasn't working! I can't count the times I turned on a tap, only to curse at it. I've certainly been taking it for granted.

Last edited:
Well I didnt buy it (father's day present) but my son came through with a set of cheap Amazon humbuckers for my yardsale Jackson electric. One of the original had an intermittent winding, which I suspect was the reason they just got rid of the instrument...

Each pickup (neck and bridge) has 4 wires and the set comes with a diagram showing +/- on each coil. Do I connect + to - to put the coils in series? Doesnt say... It's only a 3 way switch, so I dont have all the phase flipping opportunities whoever built the coils knows about.

Hi Joe,

You can connect those 4 wires in series (in the way you indicated) or parallel. You could convert to a 5-way switch, or add a small toggle, or simply hard-wire it how you like.

If you don't like those inexpensive humbuckers I have some out of a real Jackson you could have for little cost.

Cheers,

Greg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, reached a compromise with regard to the blue tooth speaker thingy. Just bought a Klipsch "The Three II" speaker. Specs look very good and I am use to their product. So it is shipping today, should get it in a couple days.

I wish it was a speaker you can just plug in, but no. It needs to be set up to a phone. That means I have to read a sheet or book with instructions. Not my favorite task!

That's living phase!

My GF decided that she just had to have a blue tooth speaker. Darn, I don't want to listen to a cheap one. This is gonna cost. Let you all know what happens.

I'm looking at a Klipsch, we'll see.

Those 5”, two-way Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I picked up for free a while back are now Bluetooth speakers. They sound great, are running at 60-80wpc now. Hardly compact though.
Daughter has a JBL one, not bad, but…

itchy mouse hand again, the thing is I saw it on eBay and thought ‘darn, would’ve been a lot less trouble to have started with this when I built my JLH69’ and then I saw it again for half price on Alibaba. It’s still wrapped up in my hallway, probably will stay like that until I’m ready to transplant my own design into it.

Attachments

• 5B31CCA7-4002-4FE0-86DF-83560D3002C0.jpeg
    5B31CCA7-4002-4FE0-86DF-83560D3002C0.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 96
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice Gareth!

Hi phase,
I was considering doing that, but time is not on my side here. I bet they sound great! I did get a good deal on "The three II". It's due to arrive tomorrow. GF is going halfers on it with me.

Hi PRR,
Nice, any maple trees? Sugar shack?

At any rate, you can now mumble to yourself without an audience! :)

Hi Joe,

You can connect those 4 wires in series (in the way you indicated) or parallel. You could convert to a 5-way switch, or add a small toggle, or simply hard-wire it how you like.

If you don't like those inexpensive humbuckers I have some out of a real Jackson you could have for little cost.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I was looking at used OEM pickups on ebay and could have gone that route. With my luck, the replaced one would work - then the other would fail due to age / corrosion / whatever mechanism caused the intermittency. So I decided to just get two freshly manufactured ones - supposedly wax potted and not so microphonic, according to reviews. So far, they both make a signal -

I got them installed. Took me all of 1/2 hour - I should make a note of that.

Attachments

• DSC02774.JPG
    DSC02774.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 88
itchy mouse hand again, the thing is I saw it on eBay and thought ‘darn, would’ve been a lot less trouble to have started with this when I built my JLH69’ and then I saw it again for half price on Alibaba. It’s still wrapped up in my hallway, probably will stay like that until I’m ready to transplant my own design into it.

Why not listen to it first? Who knows, maybe satisfying and tranquility producing as-is. It could happen. If it did, that'd save you even more work - except to go figure out "why".