And what did we buy today?

Didn't buy it today but the Timney Featherweight trigger for the Springfield 03-A3 Sporter in .243 Winchester that I inherited from my dad came in today.

I had a little trouble adjusting it as the sear wouldn't engage with the factory setting. However it only took a few minutes to get it adjusted to slight take-up and clean break.

Now I have to figure out some loads and take it to the range (in near freezing weather).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've got lots of load data kicking around, Gimp. Let me know if you need some options. Did you choose projectiles yet? Actually I have some brass and projectiles I am never going to use but it is illegal for me to ship them to you. Otherwise you could have 'em.

Last edited:
Pens? OK I bought some running shoes off ebay. Came in nice, hopefully a good pick, currently in COVID detox...

I blew the ankle cushion on my old Sauconys, by lazily putting on / taking off, giving me a cut on my Achilles, every time I ran. Temp fixed 'em using the same rubber foam that I tried suspending a speaker driver from the cabinet with - and some acrylic adhesive.

Although they run comfortable again (I jogged 5k in 'em today - no cut, heart's still beating as I type this) I was like "C'mon Joe - you can afford $35 shipped for a pair in a lot nicer shape. You got a 64th coming up next month; no one's going to get you anything like that".

Between those and the new Asics I got, also off ebay, I should be good for the summer. Oh, I also got a pack of 7, 4 X 36" belts for my Craftsman benchtop sander, as the current belt is disintegrating. That thing's as creaky as I am!

Attachments

• shoes.png
    shoes.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I used Pilot V-pens / Pilot Varsity pens for quite a while, the problem was that I was going through one every three days or so during a busy semester, so I switched to inexpensive cartridge-converter pens from China- Jinhao 992s, to be specific. The stock nibs aren't amazing (not terrible though), but I found that some time spent with micro-mesh allows me to get them really pretty good.

I have since purchased a couple of TWSBI Eco pens, and I have to say that they really are pretty nice.

One advantage of the pandemic is that there are no in-class assignments on crappy paper anymore.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Lenovo Thinkpad T430 - Intel Core i5 2.6Ghz (3320M) - 8GB RAM - 320GB HDD - DVDRW - 14.0" HD Display

A previous ThinkPad has served well for 8 years in this house, was probably pushing 12 years old (ex corporate lease). The key-labels not just worn out, but dug-out (cheesy plastic and tough fingernails). Kept rebooting. Finally figured the fan had died. Sitting idle it runs 60c, but an hour of ZOOM brings it to 100c and thermal shutdown. Anyway it was not getting any faster.

I used Pilot V-pens / Pilot Varsity pens for quite a while, the problem was that I was going through one every three days or so during a busy semester, so I switched to inexpensive cartridge-converter pens from China- Jinhao 992s, to be specific. The stock nibs aren't amazing (not terrible though), but I found that some time spent with micro-mesh allows me to get them really pretty good.

I have since purchased a couple of TWSBI Eco pens, and I have to say that they really are pretty nice.

One advantage of the pandemic is that there are no in-class assignments on crappy paper anymore.

you just reminded me, my pens from China are late, about a year, I think I’ll ask ePay to cancel it for me.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Lenovo Thinkpad T430 - Intel Core i5 2.6Ghz (3320M) - 8GB RAM - 320GB HDD - DVDRW - 14.0" HD Display

A previous ThinkPad has served well for 8 years in this house, was probably pushing 12 years old (ex corporate lease). The key-labels not just worn out, but dug-out (cheesy plastic and tough fingernails). Kept rebooting. Finally figured the fan had died. Sitting idle it runs 60c, but an hour of ZOOM brings it to 100c and thermal shutdown. Anyway it was not getting any faster.

I've got a T420 that is ex-corporate use, then used by my wife for a while, then me, and now it is my music streamer running Volumio. I suspect it'll do that job just fine even when the fans kick the bucket. Great machines.

A track plunge saw and a biscuit jointer.

Swmbo has commissioned victorian bookcases in the reception.
I thought I will upgrade my power tools, saw my way through the bookcases.
Once I am done with them I will be in a much better position to build some new speakers
;-)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Nice score!
So is it true that a Variac should NOT be used to check out a Vfet amp? Am I remembering that correctly?
Thanks. And it came with the ST-5950SD tuner. good stereo reception with a simple antenna (I'm less than a km from the transmitter), and has 'dolby'-stereo enhencement! Funny to hear the fm-noise in such manner.

Just finished the outside cleaning of both. (What is brownish and sticky?)

I'm not about to powerup the amp, yet. First the inner inspections.
A Variac??? I consider that not a good idea for any electronic equipment save what is designed for it. The lightbulb in series with the mains feels better, or replace the emitter resistors with 1/4W types, so if things blows, it will be them and not the high current bjt's.

After an odd event where my car’s factory head unit refused to recognize it’s CD player, I have chosen to buy a digital player to use in it’s absence. The MD1, made by Zishan will hopefully perform as advertised with a pair of CS43198 dac chips on board, and dual supply for the output filter using a dc-dc converter.