And what did we buy today?

A track plunge saw and a biscuit jointer.

Swmbo has commissioned victorian bookcases in the reception.
I thought I will upgrade my power tools, saw my way through the bookcases.
Once I am done with them I will be in a much better position to build some new speakers
;-)

Which track saw did you get?
I got a makita setup (couldn’t afford festool) about 3 years ago and have used it for things I never would have thought....very handy and surprisingly accurate.
Little hint for cutting sheet goods......get a full sheet of rigid foam insulation board and lay it on floor or big enough table (even a build a bench with saw horses), set your blade depth to just a bit thicker than your sheet goods.....lay your material on top and have at it.
The foam will last through a couple or more jobs, can even flip it over for a fresh start!

Yes! I've been doing the foam board thing for a couple of years now, works pretty good, for my needs anyway. I started out with a real thick piece, around 2" or more. Wasn't cheap at around 30 bucks for a 4x8 sheet, but if you're careful with your cut depth it lasts a long time.

Mine was scored lengthwise for easy removal of sections to adjust width, and an electric carving knife works well for other cuts. Between that and an aluminum saw guide strip, I've managed to churn out some stuff I never thought I'd be doing. Setup is tedious of course, but not too bad.

Which track saw did you get?
I got a makita setup (couldn’t afford festool) about 3 years ago and have used it for things I never would have thought....very handy and surprisingly accurate.
Little hint for cutting sheet goods......get a full sheet of rigid foam insulation board and lay it on floor or big enough table (even a build a bench with saw horses), set your blade depth to just a bit thicker than your sheet goods.....lay your material on top and have at it.
The foam will last through a couple or more jobs, can even flip it over for a fresh start!

I have the Makita track saw as well. It's great, but some moron at Makita decided that a 5' power cord was "sufficient" for a track saw. That got upgraded in short order.

So true. And what's more it's lightweight, unlike a rigid wooden cutting frame. These days I tend to have sheet goods (particularly MDF - oof!) rough cut at the lumberyard. Much easier than trying to manhandle an entire sheet of the stuff into and out of the truck. That being said, the foam trick still works its magic when cutting down the resized panels.

I have the Makita track saw as well. It's great, but some moron at Makita decided that a 5' power cord was "sufficient" for a track saw. That got upgraded in short order.
Most tools of that sort are intended for use with an extension cord, where an attached 8 or 10-foot cord wouldn't make sense. The 5' cord is protection against the 6' idiot at the jobsite (me) who would've eventually sawed through a longer one. Now that's entertainment! :D Please don't try that at home...

And to stay on topic: New, non-drafty doors to replace the old crappy ones that have been driving us nuts for years. Just in the nick of time too, as the temps are expected to plunge for the next week or so.

The 5' cord is protection against the 6' idiot at the jobsite (me) who would've eventually sawed through a longer one. Now that's entertainment! :D Please don't try that at home...

Such a short cord is useless, cutting an 8' board means dragging the extension reel along with the saw. Worse, you place the extension reel halfway and trip over it whilst sawing. It won't even reach across a 4' board width and down to the floor.

Marantz Model 2110 Tuner

Attachments

• Tuner2.jpg
    Tuner2.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 115