favorite beer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My favourite beer is Zywiec. A friend of mine just enjoys one.;)

Attachments

• zy.jpg
    zy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 300
Rolling Rock, Red Stripe, Coopers Red, Hoegaarden (gotta get it right though) Corona, Cascade Premium (only drink one, after that tastes like sh1t).......... in no particular order.

If I had to vote 1 favourite - Coopers Red. Mind the headache though!

PS. the Czech Bud gives the worst chemical hangovers I have ever had..... what do they put in that stuff? only tried it in bottles though...

faustian bargin said:
i've always wanted to try Chimay. it's always in those big bottles and fairly high-priced (here, anyway), so i never bought one. i really should, one of these days.

My advice is, save your money for a plane ticket. Beer just doesn't travel well. (You might also check out Celis White -- it's an authentic Belgian witbier brewed in Austin, Texas.)

When I first moved to the Netherlands, I'd occasionally splurge for an imported bottle of a good USian microbrew (BTW, my favorite is Bridgeport IPA, brewed in Portland OR). Compared to even the cheaper Belgian beers I could get at the corner store, they were one dimensional, lifeless, full of off flavors, just generally nasty. I couldn't understand how I'd ever liked them, or how I'd survive if I ever went back to the US!

Now that I am back, I'm enjoying microbrews as much as I ever did. And a couple of times I've shelled out the $9 or so for a good Belgian beer (Orval is my favorite for special occasions, otherwise Hoegaarden). Compared to the best American stuff, it's one dimensional, lifeless, full of off flavors, etc. Something about the trip over here just kills them.

This might be the story behind American Budwiser and friends: I remember hearing something about how during the war they had to produce beer that could be shipped and stored under horrible conditions without going bad. But instead of producing an indestructable beer, they wound up with one that was pre-destructed -- it didn't get any worse, but how would you know anyway?

Rob, you remind me of the danish Faxe beer, which is quite
decent, by the way. They are very picky that all Faxe beer
be brewn (brewed?) on water from their own well, which is
claimed the deepest in Denmark. When they started to sell
their beer in the US, they decided to brew it over there, since
beer doesn't travel well. Howver, they insisted on shipping
the water from denmark. :)

Christer, on behalf of Danish beer-drinkers, Thank You! IMHO, Faxe is like most other Danish beer (and most Austrian beer except Stiegl BTW, Christer :) ): Perfectly drinkable but nothing special....:)
Well, this reply was actually just to tell you that I like Urquell as well :rolleyes: Perfect for those days where a Budweiser (insert flag of The Czech Republic here...) just tastes to bland :idea:

/U.

Old Speckled Hen - Morland Brewing

Not really my favorite but as I have one in my
hand at this very moment ....

BTW, for all you British "warm beer" haters I
drink mine straight from the fridge -COLD-
(naturally it's a quality German fridge). :nod:

Dave:drink: :drink: :drink:

(Actually more of an amber colour)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:Re:Re:Belgian beer.

Hi,

on the square in front of the cathedral in Antwerp you can have a couple beers, moules and frites with mayonaisse -- this is what heaven must be like.

Jack,you keep on surprising me.:cool:

Next time any of you is over in Belgium, I'll take you to a cosy little pub in Ghent where they serve 500 different Belgian beers.

You better have a good portion of frites before we go in there, I'm telling you.

Sante,;)

\Frank,sipping from his Kasteelbier...12 degrees and nicely chilled.

Rob M said:

My advice is, save your money for a plane ticket. Beer just doesn't travel well. (You might also check out Celis White -- it's an authentic Belgian witbier brewed in Austin, Texas.)

Tell me about it.....
Not quite the same as what ure talking about but...
I don't normally drink and fly but i was in Edinburgh airport and my flight was delayed by a couple of hours. Soo i decided to sit in the bar and drink a couple 'o pints of caledonian 80/- and boy i felt quite uneasy, not drunk, just like i had a couple of boulders in me. They don't call it heavy there for nuthin'
Caledonian 80 is one of my no.1 beers to have on commercial tap (at least in scotland).

Rob M said:

This might be the story behind American Budwiser and friends: I remember hearing something about how during the war they had to produce beer that could be shipped and stored under horrible conditions without going bad. But instead of producing an indestructable beer, they wound up with one that was pre-destructed -- it didn't get any worse, but how would you know anyway?

I heard once from a guy, it may not be true, that once these two where the same company until the war when it was seperated due to some being opposition property

When i go to the pub in oxford i tend to drink Hoegaarden as it is available in many places, i have never got really drunk on it tho, so i dunno about the hangover coeffecent of it.

When in kent one of my local pubs is a microbrewrey (the swan) and the brews are fairly good (i.e better then most chemical crap) but still not perfect IMHO, but as the manager is a good friend of mine, i dont dare suggest any changes (too kind).

lawriebuck said:
PS. the Czech Bud gives the worst chemical hangovers I have ever had..... what do they put in that stuff? only tried it in bottles though...

I have found this too, as a club in oxford sells it at a good price and (i do drink a few too many sometimes :rolleyes:) It has given me some really unfair hangovers, you know the kind where u think u didn't drink your hangovers worth. Whereas with some cheapo type lagers (100% chemical) i have drunk waaaay too much :devilr: and got up the next day feeling *fairly* ok.

and sometimes i cant beat winding down on a hot summa evening in the kent countryside, a few chilled rolling rocks, some 'creedence cw' played on a rich warm sounding system (thankyou tone controls). fantastic (just what i need to think about after these endless grey dayz in UK)

TED

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RE:Tell me about it.....

Hi,

He,he...if you allow me...never drink and fly!

The altitude of the plane will play tricks on you no matter what alcohol you had.

Sure enough, if you have an 18 hours night-flight ahead of you a little G+T might knock you out and the dreaded trip looks a lot shorter.;)

Been there,done that,;)

P.S.Celis brewed in Texie? Didn't know that one.:cool:
FWIW,you will have to drink a lot of those to get drunk but it goes down well during the hotter season.:)

Is Celis still available? I thought they went under a few years back. I cna't get it around here anyway.

A very nice set of Belgian-style ales are brewed in nearby Cooperstown, NY, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. These are some fine beers with a kick, made by the Brewery Ommegang:

Rare Vos: 6.5% ABV

Hennepin: 7.5% ABV (Belgian Farmer's Ale, or something like that)

Ommegang: 8.5% ABV (Abbey-style ale)

$3.99 for 750ml (or if you know where to look, $2.99), an amazing deal.

Also good are many of the Saranac beers produced by FX Matt, in Utica. I have a particular liking to draft Saranac Pale Ale. I'm enjoying a bottle right now!. Not too pricey, either.

I could go on, it's really tough to name a favorite...

John G

JoeBob said:
Call me weird but I like them mexican beers. Slap some lime in there and I could drink them all day everyday.

As soon as you put a slice of fruit in a beer it is no longer a beer, It becomes a b*tch pop, not to offend anyone, thats just we call em where i'm from.

My favourite beer is rickards red, straight from the tap, or a nice cold EX!

Belle Gueule Blonde; Cheval Blanc

Here in Montreal we have some of the finest microbreweries around.
Belle Gueule Blonde and Cheval Blanc are some of my favs.
Also Belgian white beers are excellent like Leffe and Hooegarden.
Cheers!:att'n: :att'n:

But let's face it... Shall we ever see a poem a beautiful as a BEER:att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.