Chassis Discussion

mounting screws and standoffs

Hi there,

I am building an F5T v2 and have the PCBs from the store. I am getting my parts together now and plan on buying a 5u chassis when available.

I'm not sure what screws for the mosfets and standoffs for the front end I need.:confused::confused::confused:

Here are my questions:

1. What thread length do I need for the brass hex M3 male x M3 female standoffs for the above chassis?

2. What is an appropriate body length for the above standoff?

3. What thread length M3 socket head screws do I need to secure the F/E to the standoffs (I guess it'll need to be maybe 2 or 3mm longer than the body length of the standoff)?

4. What thread length screws do i need to secure the mosfets to the chassis through the washer and mosfet?

Appreciate any help.
thanks
cd

The easy solution is to buy the Premium back panel and PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit for the Deluxe Chassis - Accessories & Spare Parts - Chassis It's a good deal for quality parts that you know will fit. Next time that's what I am going to do.

It found that the mounting holes are tapped 5-6 mm deep. From there you can figure out how long you need to make the screws - enough to pass through parts and washers and give ~4 mm of engagement.

For standoffs, all they need to do is allow the leads and solder on the bottom of the board to clear the chassis. I use 1/4". Remember to allow for the board thickness when figuring screw length - 10-12 mm is where I come out.

For the mosfets, add 4 mm to the device, isolator and washer thicknesses. Another option I like (learned from AndrewT) is to use 20 mm screws so they are maximally engaged with the tapped threads. Use a nut on the screw to apply the pressure to hold the devices in place.

The easy solution is to buy the Premium back panel and PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit for the Deluxe Chassis - Accessories & Spare Parts - Chassis It's a good deal for quality parts that you know will fit. Next time that's what I am going to do.

It found that the mounting holes are tapped 5-6 mm deep. From there you can figure out how long you need to make the screws - enough to pass through parts and washers and give ~4 mm of engagement.

For standoffs, all they need to do is allow the leads and solder on the bottom of the board to clear the chassis. I use 1/4". Remember to allow for the board thickness when figuring screw length - 10-12 mm is where I come out.

For the mosfets, add 4 mm to the device, isolator and washer thicknesses. Another option I like (learned from AndrewT) is to use 20 mm screws so they are maximally engaged with the tapped threads. Use a nut on the screw to apply the pressure to hold the devices in place.

Bob, Thanks very much. I think I too will buy that back panel parts package if it's in stock when I begin the build.

The 5-6mm deep mounting holes I think is what I was after and hadn't thought about the solder on the bottom of the PCB. So thank you for bringing that to my attention to.:up::up::up:

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Any time frame on the 4u and 5u cases?

Thanks,

Vince

Hey Vince :) They are now in stock (in a slightly different configuration) but aren't public yet because I need to update the product information. We updated the back panel to allow much more flexibility for XLR, RCA, dual XLR and RCA, and combinations. I'll try to get them online ASAP!

Hi there,

Anyone bought the Deluxe 5U V2? Mine came only with a bag of about 6-8 screws taped to the perforated base plate. One needs way more than that to assemble the enclosure. And no rubber feet either. Did you guys get them or do I need to buy my own? I sent an email to the store helpdesk last week and I am still waiting on a definitive answer so I thought I would ask here :)

Thank you

kj

Hi there,

Anyone bought the Deluxe 5U V2? Mine came only with a bag of about 6-8 screws taped to the perforated base plate. One needs way more than that to assemble the enclosure. And no rubber feet either. Did you guys get them or do I need to buy my own? I sent an email to the store helpdesk last week and I am still waiting on a definitive answer so I thought I would ask here :)

Thank you

kj

I got the 5U Deluxe today and the hardware kit is missing too. :(

Administrator
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi there,

Thank you

kj

Hi KJ123,
The Helpdesk did receive your email last Aug 10 and requested you to allow us to refer your case. Apologies that we couldn't get back to you sooner. We are now working on sending you replacements. Please email the Helpdesk if you have further questions. Thanks.