Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

The Mez board depending on tolerances runs 170-200mA bias in its MOSFETs which is satisfactory. By many users that's been accepted as a wise spot between dissipation and subjective performance. Some wanted to can really crank it up though hence the Hypnotize edition. For an extra % of tone and sound stage.
But its enduring popularity says Mez is the best as an all-rounder. Has all the facilities on board and it sounds close to what can be ultimately achieved.
Hi Salas,
I have been using your Jfet buffer section circuit with a SSLV1.1 and quite pleased. I repurposed the SSLV1.1 here after I switched my other preamps from 1.1 to the Ubiib 1.3.
Could you please share your subjective opinion about using the buffer with the Mez, SSLV1.1 and SSLV1.3 power supplies. Just wondering since 1.3 made an improvement with the preamps what could it do here, maybe?
Thanks.
nash

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nash hi, unfortunately I can't answer that since I only ever run DCB1 Mez or Hypno with their onboard tuned together supply. Has heavier Mosfets and its all LEDs. Somewhat different to those 1.1 & 1.3 standalone cousins. You must run a comparison to conclude. Could be worthwhile to go from SSLV1.1 to 1.3.

Although the B1 Mesmerize buffer is admirable, all that I am looking to do is build a buffer stage using transistor design. I know this should be simple, but pointing me toward a simple kit would be great. I have a passive preamp that I have built and want to add a buffer stage to.

I should add that Pete Millett's Nutube buffer has come to mind, but I need to test it out first. It uses discreet transistor design so that is a plus. The other side of the coin is finding a power supply that isn't behemoth for this little guy.

Attachments

• PASSIVE PRE (6).JPG
    PASSIVE PRE (6).JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 79
  • PASSIVE PRE (2).JPG
    PASSIVE PRE (2).JPG
    515.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, JFET is a kind of transistor (junction field effect transistor) so adding Mezmerize also answers the brief. Offers measured 0.001% THD+N at 1VRMS output or 100dB SINAD at 0dBV. In other words objective resolution is good. Subjectively its also a 15 years popular DIY classic. You can't go wrong.

Yes, I agree. I do not need all of the other options of the board such as relay selectors for the inputs, What I am looking for is a board that is much simpler for my needs. No muting either. The Mesmerize is a great product on its own merits, but I just need a buffer stage that is all. In/out/power/done.