Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp

finally got round to swapping them out

Finally got round to swapping the 10 X 2SK170BL out for the 2 X 2SK209GR on adapters 4 matched and 6 un matched
Works very good and the dc off set is lower than the 2sk170bl's so it looks like a better matched quad
sounds really good indeed

20210106_100534 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20210106_100454_001 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20210103_151909 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr dca by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
Have you noticed any differences in sound quality between a 170 and the twinned 209's versions. Looks an interesting experiment

There are no differences so you can say that you can hear the colors in addition to the sounds.
It is unbeatable at this price!
er4rffrf.JPG

the 2 fets i used for the double where picked at random
i wonder if you balance the 2 would that make a difference to the noise
i have noticed when you parallel the fets that get the exact sum of the 2 fets 2.4 + 3.2 = 5.6
Did you come to a conclusion as to matching a pair of devices that make one unit. I am making some up at the moment and the same question arose

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Matching the audio path quartet JFETs from an 8-11 mA Idss group will provide slightly better transconductance for slightly less THD and little more driving current reserve against interconnect cable capacitance in higher frequencies. Thus 8-11 idss is theoretically preferable to 6-8 idss although its probably imperceptible.

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DCB1 without input selection relays but with beefier raw DC supply section was called Hypnotize. That was a single input version poised to run Hot-Rod bias current. For even more linear running shunt regulators section. Which comes with a further wasted heat penalty. The core audio section is the same between Mez and Hypno. As well as the shunt regs section. They are both DCB1.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Mez board depending on tolerances runs 170-200mA bias in its MOSFETs which is satisfactory. By many users that's been accepted as a wise spot between dissipation and subjective performance. Some wanted to can really crank it up though hence the Hypnotize edition. For an extra % of tone and sound stage.
But its enduring popularity says Mez is the best as an all-rounder. Has all the facilities on board and it sounds close to what can be ultimately achieved.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Toshiba branded ones is very seldom to find non faked these days. Even if you do and you can verify them electrically they will cost an arm and a leg. Especially if Idss matched as a quad. For peace of mind and logical price get a Linear Systems brand LSK170B matched quad from the diyAstore: Link

Reactions: 1 user