• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sonic Frontiers and others, PCB fix for Ultra Analog DAC D20400

Direct PCB fix replacement for the Ultra Analog D20400 DAC module installed on many Hi End audio devices.
Based on the excellent Analog Devices chip (AD1862) with an analog sound and great performances!

Audio grade components were used:

Cornell Dubilier silver mica capacitors
Elna Silmic II capacitors
Vishay/Dale resistors
Wima capacitors
Organic Polymer Wurth Capacitors
Panasonic low esr capacitors

The PCB is made with separate Analog and Digital ground planes, all according to the most rigorous rules of dual mono topology, to get the best performance layout.

ATTENTION THE PCB IS SOLD WITHOUT AD1862 CHIP AND WITHOUT OPAMP (which must be single type, such as the ne5534).

The PCB is mounted and rigorously tested.

For international buyers, please ask for shipping quotation before buying.

One PCB is announced here, but other 7 PCB are available on order.

On sale at euro 130 + shipping cost.

PS: If you need, we also offer installation service upon request.

Thanks!

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 903
Last edited:
Direct PCB fix replacement for the Ultra Analog D20400 DAC module installed on many Hi End audio devices.
Based on the excellent Analog Devices chip (AD1862) with an analog sound and great performances!
The AD1862 is those integrated circuit, that sounds most close to this Ultra Analog module (Audio Alchemy use this IC).
In post #22 under
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ultraanalog-d20400-data-i-have-it-all.254748/
you will find a source either for D20400 or D20400a

Thank you: I have a replacement socket for the UA20400 (I should receive it soon), but what I am still looking for is a replacement for the Ultra Analog AES-21 : at least, I do need a schematic , because if I have a schematic I am able to design a clone !

But I have spent a lot of time and I have not found any information on the AES-21 :devilish:
Some months ago I read under the now dead URL under
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/faulty-ultraanalog-interface-receiver-on-past-dacs
this one:
=================================================

Faulty UltraAnalog interface receiver on past DACs​

If you happen to be one of those who have mothballed a non-functioning DAC because of problems it suddenly had locking to SPDIF/AESEBU properly, and the interface receiver used was an UltraAnalog AES-21, and you have searched for a drop-in replacement part unsuccessfully but still would like to resurrect it, I possibly have a solution for you. To make a long story short, I founded EncoreElectronics in the late 80s and designed/sold products for over a decade. All were Stereophile Class A or B recommended or on AbsoluteSound's best components of the year list.
{Encore ended up folding due to time/$ constraints involving a decade-long legal battle my co-partner and I were involved in over a patent dispute relating to a emergency alert system that we had developed as part of another start-up company we founded (our AFSK zipcode based warning system was subsequently adopted as a standard by the FCC known as EAS which you have likely heard on your radio or TV during monthly emergency alert tests or for Amber alerts).}
In trying to get an audio system going for a son before he leaves for his med sch residency, I decided to look into resurrecting a damaged Ovation4 that I bought back years ago and by week's end had parts in hand and had a breadboarded replacement conversion circuit working. I have reached out to several folks who I know who have either Pyramid DACs or Ovation4 DACs that are broken but that they've hung on to to let them know that I have designed a drop-in AES-21 replacement board and in the process of procuring. I figured that I'd let folks know here on this forum in case someone might have a similar issue. I have no intentions of making a profit, rather to resurrect some otherwise fantastic vintage DACs. If you ended up tossing your faulty DAC (whatever the brand) in the trash, that's completely understandable....no judgement here.
===========================================================
Parasound mentioned this digital interface receiver unit under
https://www.parasound.com/pdfs/vintage/dac2000om.pdf
more URLs:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ultra-analog-aes-21-upgrade-replacement-project.250700/
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ultra-analog-the-ghost-company.90495/
in the attachment some images of AES-21 (probably CS8420 inside - same as under
http://www.audiotuning.de/english/index.html?1-53-cs8414.html ) :

Attachments

• O1CN01tQ1oWe1uADOurrzSD_!!49555996.jpg
    O1CN01tQ1oWe1uADOurrzSD_!!49555996.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 6ebe2a41-c598-430e-93b9-d160defe7d9d.jpg
    6ebe2a41-c598-430e-93b9-d160defe7d9d.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 97402370-88fa-4af1-9f4e-663e99777867.jpg
    97402370-88fa-4af1-9f4e-663e99777867.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 201
  • CS8420.jpg
    CS8420.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
ok you have e PM
Sorry to post here, but can you send me some details about Parasound d20400A replacer? I need some help please. I've recently bought a Parasound DAC2000 and it does some distorted sound ocasionally, for a few times and then the distorted sound stops and the music plays well.
Thank you and sorry if i asked the question in a wrong place in forum, i am new here.

Sorry to post here, but can you send me some details about Parasound d20400A replacer? I need some help please. I've recently bought a Parasound DAC2000 and it does some distorted sound ocasionally, for a few times and then the distorted sound stops and the music plays well.
Thank you and sorry if i asked the question in a wrong place in forum, i am new here.
Hello George, all informations are wrote up.
If you want you can contact me also to tonimxp@libero.it

Looks like PCX has these in stock. I'd be interested in sending my Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 to them to replace the D20400A units for the premium version of these new ones, but they've yet to respond. Dunno if there are other resources in North America who can perform this service.

It's nice to see such a high quality replacement. If only we could see something similar for the AES-21 receiver!