• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Sonic Frontiers and others, PCB fix for Ultra Analog DAC D20400

In what way has the sound of the modified Parasound DAC changed.

Beware: your question will probably generate a lot of reactions, a lot of persons saying that upgrading is just a waste of time and money, and others saying it is an essential part for getting a better sound ! This differene in the opinions has been in every forum for decades...

So I suggest you to continue this discussion with the private messaging (to me), because I am not going to spend my time to answer to those who will say that I loose my time and my money... (this has been my passion for more than 25 years...). So this is probably my last reply to this topic: we can continue together by PM.

The upgraded version of the Parasound DAC 2000 is clearly not in the same category than the original one ! not at all.

I have lessoned to dozens (if not hundreds) of DACs over the last 20 years, so I know that the differences are far more important between the DACs than the magazines sometimes write...

Can you clearly hear the difference?
More than clearly: it is obvious ! even my grand father would be able to ear the difference... All the persons that have lessoned say the same.:cool:

I have performed these upgrades step by step (one after the other, not simultaneaously in order to lesson to the impact of each upgrade).

The 1st more important upgrade in the Parasound relates to the Power Supply: bigger transformers, new power supply caps, new IEC connector, and new fuse (only the SR can achieve a giant step forward, but this should be the last upgrade of the serie, i.e. after you have performed all the others). These changes brings:
  • far more dynamics
  • far more punch
  • the soundstage is much larger and more stable over the time, and particularly on the complex musical passages.
  • more definition
The 2nd more important upgrade relates to the resistors: I have choosen very reputable resistors (but not the most expensive), but the derating is also important: the new ones are all 1/2W, whereas the original ones were probably 1/16 or 1/8W.

This resistors upgrade pushes the Parasound in a complete different world:
  • the sound is much clearer, with more definition, more rythm, less glare,
  • The overall sound is much much more "elegant"
  • the Parasound therefore belongs to the best DACs: see note 1.
but this resistors upgrade is difficult to achieve: you need to be skilled and have the necessary tool to unsolder/solder properly.

I suggest that we continue by P.M., because I know that a lot of people do not share the idea that upgrading improves the sound...

Note 1: when I say that "the Parasound therefore belongs to the best DACs", you should understand that it is not at the level of the world references such as the ML-35 or Wadia 9 for example. But it is just below, and much more musical than 99% of the non DSP based DACs.

Funny, I had over 40 diferent dac. I had 3 psc parasound 2000, two was modified (vishay bulk foil resitors, muse ES, Silmic, Wima FKp caps, MUR860 diodes) I would not call it good dac. somewhere in the ball park of Sonic Frontiers sfd1mk2 - quite medciore. Even modified Denon DVD-5000 player with discrete IV sounded much better. even "lower" Parasound dac1500/1600 with redesigned analog filter) sounded better. I have Mark Levinson, Wadia, Spectral DAC's They definetely not ir the other class than parasound. They just completely diferent. Both sonicaly and from engineering perspective. I had many DAC with UA20400 and none sounded great (except spectral maybe, but there other things makes this dac sound good, not dac chips)- sound is always rounded soft in hights and wooly in bass. PCM56 is much better, pcm1702,1704,pcm64, AD1864 is better. seems everything is better than ua20400.

I'm not good in digital, but this PCB seems like a scam to me. this is not to insult designer. The sad times have come to DIY audio are where 4-6eur value items with few caps and voltage regulators) selling for 100+ eur. it even doesnt have selection of input /output bits lenght. the same people laught on high end manufacturers (who actualy had much smaller profit margins).

@elviukai
4-6€ for:

Cornell Dubilier silver mica capacitors

Elna Silmic II capacitors

Vishay/Dale resistors

Wima capacitors

Organic Polymer Wurth
Capacitors

Panasonic low esr capacitors

All bought on Mouser store

+ PCB cost

YOU ARE SIMPLY RIDICOLOUS
and I won't add anything else about your insinuation that I am a scammer, because anyone who knows me knows very well who they are dealing with!
Ciao!
Antonio.

I'm sorry if I offended you. it was not my intention. probably diferent cultures. this is rougly price for the parts. 7eur or so. it can be build cheaper buying suprplus parts of course and - in larger quantinities. I usualy buy silver mica CDE for 0.5eur/psc here. there is nothing expensive in this board. there is no rocket science either. I have build same module with PCM63x 2 dac chips-to replace broken ua20400. just step down regulators and rewiring , and bypass caps together with IV opamp socket. if there is really demand of that converters I can build same for 30eur(with some profit in mind) for diyaudio forum members. just gather minimum required qty of 20-30psc and I will do. for me this is clearly high margin profit sales oriented posts rather than trying to help other fellow diyers. I am not against business but this is definatelly business /profit oriented thread ather than helping diyers. just my two cents.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 73
I'm sorry dear friend, but reality is very different from the fairy tale you tell.
Please see how things really are instead.
€78.71 for electronic components only + pcb naked cost

My profit is reduced to less than €45 (considering Ebay rates)
So if it's all for managing component and PCB purchases, assembling, testing and managing final shipping for you, then please let me know so... I can send you just the bare PCBs and you can assemble them for the DIY community.
If, however, after verifying the data, you have reformed your ways, perhaps you should apologize to the DIY community.

Attachments

• PCB FIX UA DAC v1.4.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Pagamento _ Mouser.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 72
No problem,
1) i can make myself this PCB and use EXACTLY SAME components and sell it for 50eur(1000eur/20sets) or
2)You can send me PCB and i will assemble with EXACTLY SAME components and sell it for 45eur(450eur/20sets) you can rebuy them and sell for the guys need repairs. everybody happy.

this is not contest of how to spent as much as posible money for project, isnt it?

P.S. I have sold few amplifiers Pass Labs XA100.5 which I'm built myself from scratch FOR THE PARTS PRICE(no profit, no labour price)just 2000EUR (expensive CNC job etc) just thought somebody would have joy owning them. yet i was assaulted here for making business and scaming fellows diyers. P.S. Amplifers looked better than originals ans used better parts than originals.

PM me with aranging assembly of your pcb if you are seriuos and we will discus details.
You, and diyers ( needing them) have nothing to loose- everybody will win(youwill get cheaper kit and they get cheaper product) and I will spent few evenings assembling them. i get many good advices here so gladly would pay back with my own efforts for helpping.

I'm really sorry, but I don't intend to waste any more time with you. For those who believe in miracles and thinks that good performances can be brought out from everything that's in the drawer (I don't agree), they can contact me privately and I can also provide just the PCB naked , there are no problems for me!

Reactions: 1 user
Beware: your question will probably generate a lot of reactions, a lot of persons saying that upgrading is just a waste of time and money, and others saying it is an essential part for getting a better sound ! This differene in the opinions has been in every forum for decades...

So I suggest you to continue this discussion with the private messaging (to me), because I am not going to spend my time to answer to those who will say that I loose my time and my money... (this has been my passion for more than 25 years...). So this is probably my last reply to this topic: we can continue together by PM.

The upgraded version of the Parasound DAC 2000 is clearly not in the same category than the original one ! not at all.

I have lessoned to dozens (if not hundreds) of DACs over the last 20 years, so I know that the differences are far more important between the DACs than the magazines sometimes write...

More than clearly: it is obvious ! even my grand father would be able to ear the difference... All the persons that have lessoned say the same.:cool:

I have performed these upgrades step by step (one after the other, not simultaneaously in order to lesson to the impact of each upgrade).

The 1st more important upgrade in the Parasound relates to the Power Supply: bigger transformers, new power supply caps, new IEC connector, and new fuse (only the SR can achieve a giant step forward, but this should be the last upgrade of the serie, i.e. after you have performed all the others). These changes brings:
  • far more dynamics
  • far more punch
  • the soundstage is much larger and more stable over the time, and particularly on the complex musical passages.
  • more definition
The 2nd more important upgrade relates to the resistors: I have choosen very reputable resistors (but not the most expensive), but the derating is also important: the new ones are all 1/2W, whereas the original ones were probably 1/16 or 1/8W.

This resistors upgrade pushes the Parasound in a complete different world:
  • the sound is much clearer, with more definition, more rythm, less glare,
  • The overall sound is much much more "elegant"
  • the Parasound therefore belongs to the best DACs: see note 1.
but this resistors upgrade is difficult to achieve: you need to be skilled and have the necessary tool to unsolder/solder properly.

I suggest that we continue by P.M., because I know that a lot of people do not share the idea that upgrading improves the sound...

Note 1: when I say that "the Parasound therefore belongs to the best DACs", you should understand that it is not at the level of the world references such as the ML-35 or Wadia 9 for example. But it is just below, and much more musical than 99% of the non DSP based DACs.

hello, is it yours movie ?