Lets do it all again: TL Sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Again!

I am getting down to the very nitty gritty, and should be building the TL you recomended to me awhile ago.

I had a few questions though before I begin construction.

~Does the Driver need to be at the very end of the line? I was told anywhere from 0-25% is similar in response.

~Say the line is divided into 3 folds, or 4 sections. To measure this, do I measure just 4x the heighth? or the length directly down the middle of the path?

~Lastly, if I had the 4 sections still, will it matter if the first section has a slightly larger CSA? This way I could fit the driver in better.

Thanks for your time!
~Jerick

Greets!

Can't say as I agree with this as presented, I mean the difference between end loading and placing it on a side at the pipe's (now) closed end is 'close enough', but unless you plan to XO it below the 3rd harmonic dip, it makes an audible difference (at least it did to my ears way back when). Anyway, as the driver moves down the pipe you trade the peak gain required for a bandpass alignment for the smoother response required for wide BW apps where it's best to put it where it smoothes out the 3rd harmonic dip (pretty far down the pipe), with some point in-between often used to get a balanced trade-off between gain/~flat in-room response.

I assume you mean divide the height by four, but it will make the folded pipe longer once you calc the acoustic pathlength. Anyway, the goal is to maintain a ~constant cross sectional area (CSA) through the bends if this is a straight pipe alignment, though putting in 45 deg reflectors in the corners isn't required due to the long WLs involved.

Making the first section larger changes the alignment from a TL to a BR with a large/long vent, so I recommend just either making a spacer plate if the driver is too deep or tapering the line from the driver to the first bend to minimize the acoustic 'step'.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.