What does this "bass horn" actually consist of?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear diyAudio forum,

I'm reading about the Martion Orgon bass and trying to figure out what it is. In an interview the founder says he took inspiration from the bass section of the Klipschorn. Looking at the drawing he provides on his website his design is more simplified, which I think is interesting. He also uses an 18" driver instead of a 15".

The drawing doesn't reveal much.

What do you think the Basshorn actually consists of?

And... what is the purpose of it in this design?

I have attached the Martion drawing, a view of the Martion bass cabinet, and the Klipschorn drawings he based the design on.

Thank you,
Simon

Attachments

• Bass Cabinet.png
    Bass Cabinet.png
    456.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Bass Horn Drawing.png
    Bass Horn Drawing.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 440
  • KHorn Section View.jpg
    KHorn Section View.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 438
looks like a K-horn to me other than not employing "ramps" for the first expansion section. EV and Ben Drisko had 18" driver versions of the K-horn.

I am curious about their low frequency speaker with the Karlson style aperture.

http://martion.de/wp-content/gallery/galerie/sonder-einhorn.png

Gallery | Martion

The Orgon seems to have a slow first expansion off the splitter done like in the Fane W horn below. It may have EQ below cutoff (?)

P1PcIQi.jpg

Last edited:
Without the ramping, what is the point of the actual horn? Is it simply a construction to mount the driver inside the cabinet, in this case with the chain (kette) and bult (bolzen)?

I don't really see how it's a horn. It's not backloaded since it's a closed enclosure, right?

I don't have access to hornresp these days to see what would happen with no expansion - or a very slow expansion in the first section (which that drawing may indicate). I would guess the designer knows what he's doing to bring a high end product to market.

I will try my hand at some version of this construction.

Do you have an 18" driver to recommend? If I had endless resources for the driver, how could I get as close as possible to the Orgon bass? What do you think he uses?

I'm guessing the woofer in the picture is what he uses...

Attachments

• Orgon Woofer.png
    Orgon Woofer.png
    929.7 KB · Views: 165
In first post, sure looks like a Klipschorn, mostly as far as I can see. Klipschorn bass is truly the best room-filling bass there is, FR details notwithstanding*. But no way to get low enough freq to meet the expectations of audiophiles even 20 yrs ago.... unless you add a sub south of the horn. (A buddy at Bell Labs had such a sub under his horns in 1967 - luckily we had transistors back then so he could fashion an active crossover).

But the photo is totally bonkers and shows basic ignorance of horn. The room walls have to be horn walls and next to a window is not**. Also, you have to have a top on top (esp sealed to the walls as I did it) or else you evaporate the function of the final crucial horn section.

*those FR ripples are trivial compared to the room modes and I suspect the Klipschorn will deliver a better FR to ears than point source subs in real rooms.

** if you don't have a good solid corner, don't build it - but the corner can be quite a distance from main speakers provided sharp slope XO and low distortion speakers above and below

Last edited:
if you want an 18" version of the Klipschorn, then take a hornresp model and scale starting at 1.2X. Play with reducing back chamber volume to see tradeoff of excursion below cutoff vs excursion.

I'd imagine Eminence's Sigma18 would be functional as would be a few other pro 18" woofers.

University's "Classic" models much like the Khorn but is already huge. Scaled 1.2x for an 18" speaker it would be about 48" x 36" x 29".

I think I once asked PWK in a letter about an 18" version of the Khorn and he basically didn't think it would have any advantages. That said, there was the EV Patrician IV and Ben Drisko's 18 inch "Driskhorn" (which had differening flare rates)

Zu9Gf1p.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.