Behringer NX6000 vs 2x EP4000 bridged

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i'm starting a dual subwoofer build - small enclosure, lots of power.
Since NX6000 can't be bridged dual doesn't make sense to go dual. Supposedly it outputs around 2,1kW per channel a 4ohms.

EP4000 is a QSC clone and can supposedly output 4000W bridged, or 2400W @1% THD (4ohm)

also, EP4000 is Class AB and NX6000 is ClassD.

I've seen various FP14000 or FP10000 clones - but including import and taxes it will cost me 40% more than dual EP4000, although they'd probably be great.

Also, it's going to be a studio build, so stable power is desired.

(there's also a tiny bit more expensive thomann t.amp TSA-4000 Class-D, which runs 2865W bridged but only at 8ohm - makes me wonder how it pairs against the cheaper EP4000)

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is fan noise an issue? both of those amps have noisy fans.

I think you have the specs wrong on the EP4000 as the manual says it delivers 1250W into 4 ohm stereo both channels driven 1% THD which would imply 2500W when bridged into 4ohm. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/248-748-behringer-ep4000-manual-43359.pdf There is a 4000W spec but its something vague like peak power (fake power).

If you wanted more power there is the TSA 4-1300 which does 2*4000W in bridged mode (8 ohm only):
https://images.static-thomann.de/pi...88_c_218915_325986_325988_v1_r1_en_online.pdf
So the 2*bridged EP4000 would be about the same output power as the inuke6000 driving two 4 ohm speakers.

At a bit more money there are the soundgear saturn amps:
Soundgear - Speakers - Amplifiers - DSP
however these are 4 channel and cannot be bridged so if your not running more than two drivers probably don't make sense.

I have a berhinger nx 6000. Don’t. Save the money for something better. Noisy fans. Less subjective power then my crown ce2000 when driving subs. I tried it on the mid and high frequency drivers and there is a lot of hiss at the speaker plus one channel makes a high pitched screech/ whine that I assume is oscillation. The amp is not old and has barely been used. Never again.

Yes, it is very similar design (cheap, nothing to do with original lab gruppens except the name). Not recommended for serious bass duty.

How about Tamp proline 3000? They offer lots of brutal power, very good for subwoofers.
Just make sure the output never goes to clipping! At this much power, speakers will be fried soon if output is distorted. Yes, proline 3000 has clip indicators but there is one design flaw: output can be clipped way before indicator led starts blinking.

I have a berhinger nx 6000. Don’t. Save the money for something better. Noisy fans. Less subjective power then my crown ce2000 when driving subs. I tried it on the mid and high frequency drivers and there is a lot of hiss at the speaker plus one channel makes a high pitched screech/ whine that I assume is oscillation. The amp is not old and has barely been used. Never again.
thanks for the tip. it felt too good to be true.
that's why i'm eyeing two EP4000 instead
Is fan noise an issue? both of those amps have noisy fans.

I think you have the specs wrong on the EP4000 as the manual says it delivers 1250W into 4 ohm stereo both channels driven 1% THD which would imply 2500W when bridged into 4ohm. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/248-748-behringer-ep4000-manual-43359.pdf There is a 4000W spec but its something vague like peak power (fake power).

If you wanted more power there is the TSA 4-1300 which does 2*4000W in bridged mode (8 ohm only):
https://images.static-thomann.de/pi...88_c_218915_325986_325988_v1_r1_en_online.pdf
So the 2*bridged EP4000 would be about the same output power as the inuke6000 driving two 4 ohm speakers.

At a bit more money there are the soundgear saturn amps:
Soundgear - Speakers - Amplifiers - DSP

however these are 4 channel and cannot be bridged so if your not running more than two drivers probably don't make sense.

drivers are 4ohm :/ i'm planning two.
EP4000 would be dual, so dual bridged = 2x 2400W RMS, which is more than NX6000 does by itself, and hopefully at better THD.
yeah fan noise is an issue, but i'll mod them and seal them in a rack with controlled airflow. I'll figure something out, i have enough space in the side-racks of the desk.

Yes, it is very similar design (cheap, nothing to do with original lab gruppens except the name). Not recommended for serious bass duty.

How about Tamp proline 3000? They offer lots of brutal power, very good for subwoofers.
Just make sure the output never goes to clipping! At this much power, speakers will be fried soon if output is distorted. Yes, proline 3000 has clip indicators but there is one design flaw: output can be clipped way before indicator led starts blinking.

i've checked them - its a bit more expensive but i guess i could start with one and later add another one and bridge it.

planned drivers are 5000W peak so they should have some headroom before they fry

Well at least you get 10 year warranty on the PSX3000. Another option is to get 2 plate amps. No fan noise, got dsp also. More here.

i'd rather keep a separate DSP box anyway - and these plates are underpowered for the drivers.

gotta get the drivers then i'll probably go with Behringer EP4000 or T.amp proline 3000, since i can bridge them and get additional one.

TSA4000 and TSA 4-1300 both look cool - but both can only be bridged at 8ohm... is that an issue connecting it to a 4ohm driver?

i was thinking of getting two over-powered so i could also distribute the load and hopefully get away with less cooling (so, large slow RPM fans)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
When you bridge an amp the effective load is half the actual load so an amp that can do 4 ohms bridged would also be a two ohm stereo amp. Its also worth considering that doubling the power into the drivers is only +3dB and so the differences of a few hundred watts will not be noticeable.

If noise is an issue I have a thread on the subject:
Quiet PA amps
I use two P7000S (effectively silent) but they are discontinued and I think I might have caused them to become too popular as 2nd hand prices have gone up a lot. I wouldn't recommend most fan mods as they compromise the cooling. A fan mod that could improve the cooling and reduce noise though is to take an inuke3000 (6000 is bottom side cooled so this won't work) and replace the top with a giant low RPM fan. Two inuke3000 operating bridged is equivalent to an inuke 6000.

When you bridge an amp the effective load is half the actual load so an amp that can do 4 ohms bridged would also be a two ohm stereo amp. Its also worth considering that doubling the power into the drivers is only +3dB and so the differences of a few hundred watts will not be noticeable.

Quiet PA amps
I use two P7000S (effectively silent) but they are discontinued and I think I might have caused them to become too popular as 2nd hand prices have gone up a lot. I wouldn't recommend most fan mods as they compromise the cooling. A fan mod that could improve the cooling and reduce noise though is to take an inuke3000 (6000 is bottom side cooled so this won't work) and replace the top with a giant low RPM fan. Two inuke3000 operating bridged is equivalent to an inuke 6000.

Extra watts i'm hoping for
- less distortion
- more headroom before cooling kicks in
- more headroom with DSP

the giant low RPM fan is what i'm thinking. so not a mod as a direct fan replacement, but actual enclosure mod - to keep the airflow similar but fan size larger.

yeah the only P i can find locally is a P5000S - but it's 400€.

Last edited:
I found 2x second hand QSC PLX3402 for ~800€/pair (i guess i could knock them down to 700€)

are these better than the Behringer EP4000? Even at 700€ they'd cost a tiny bit more. supposedly they run 3400W bridged, and assuming they don't inflate their ratings as behringer does they should be a tad better

Quiet PA amps

I could get 2x QSC PLX3402 for 700€ delivered to me for free, or 2x Yamaha P7000s for 800€ (maybe i can knock it down to 700€), but its a 3hour drive there and back.

Both can run 4ohm bridged.
QSC's have 200W more, and a higher damping factor.
But Yamaha's are supposed to be quiet.

do you have any experience with the PLX?

I have 4 of the PLX3102. No problems or complaints. But I use bigger amplifiers for subwoofers now, so it’s not like I beat the daylights out of them.

The Yamaha P series IS quieter - the fans only run on demand. I have one of the smaller ones for my main home audio rig. Fan doesn’t run at all in light duty. Supposedly they don’t like running 4 ohms bridged, but I’ve never tried/verified. I have run the PLX 4 ohms bridged, but not in continuous clipping.

I have 4 of the PLX3102. No problems or complaints. But I use bigger amplifiers for subwoofers now, so it’s not like I beat the daylights out of them.

The Yamaha P series IS quieter - the fans only run on demand. I have one of the smaller ones for my main home audio rig. Fan doesn’t run at all in light duty. Supposedly they don’t like running 4 ohms bridged, but I’ve never tried/verified. I have run the PLX 4 ohms bridged, but not in continuous clipping.

thanks for replying!
3402 supposedly also has variable fan.

i'm afraid its a loud one tho, and that it turns on fast - in that case i'll need to mod it :(
i don't know how hard would i run them, since one will be on each driver and i'll likely wont blast them at 120dB often.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.