Looking for design brilliance w/ Dayton PA465S-8's!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just an FYI, partsexpess has some nice "buyout" wide two wheel corner mount uni-caster & handel. If your cabs are constructed as I intend mine to be ( tall rectangle), these would work really well.

I was kind of waiting for bjorno to respond to my comments regarding his sims. But that's how forums work sometimes.

If anyone else is reading this thread -

While the cab requirements for these Dayton's are rather large I don't see any other (new) driver solution that can compete at <$440. If WinISP is near correct, 4 of 'em with lot-O-cheap dsp class-d wattage should produce rather nice results for small gigs (even for EDM).

Making progress, I found out that integrated handles take a lot of extra time. Should be able to test next weekend.

Attachments

• 1130192217~2.jpg
    1130192217~2.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 121
Congratulations, you will soon possess the largest DJ "monitors" that 99.9% of the audience have ever witnessed!

All jokes a side, with processing you could achieve a cardioid effect at the mix station. Bass induced blurred
vision and modulated speech gets old while performing.
Its kind of why I don't install bass systems in (most) of my personal vehicles anymore.

Here is what they look like for now. I purposely left room for larger horns, specifically the 1" horns on my current mid/high tops that will be upgraded next. These bullet tweeters were left over from another project

Measurements probably next weekend.

Attachments

• 1208191621~2.jpg
    1208191621~2.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 69
Wow, that looks much better than WinISP was predicting! So I believe you tuned closer to 30Hz rather than the sim'ed 37Hz. Sorry for asking, I'm on my cell, did you go 7cubs or 10 on your enclosure?

Also, what voltage was that SPL curve sampled at?

Just goes to show, even though bjorno modelled this design to the moon, the original spec's I posted seem attainable.

Freq response only, amplitude not calibrated....just adjusted the volume to get a nice signal for REW.

It is approx 10cu ft. Tuned close to 30Hz, had to make some adjustment to port length for the slot loading rather than just a rectangular port. I actually had the port set up for 37Hz with an extension piece to drop the tuning. I set up the first one for the lower tuning and liked it so I decided to set them both up to 30Hz.

Again, really good value for the money if you can live with a huge box.

Man you re-kindled my interest in making sawdust for these drivers!

I'm also kind of wondering if the Qts on these Dayton's made a late production rebound? Maybe they went back to original magnet slugs when they were rated mid 0.3x Qts?

Your Fq measurement looks to good for a driver that's supposed to have a weak motor assembly. Even in a large cab.

Looking foward to your results at war volume.

To be honest, now I'm kind of kicking myself for not scooping up more of these on clearance. 4-8 of 'em could of done some cool stuff in a H/T.

If your curve is near accurate, it looks like these could be tuned down to say 25Hz. Yeah you'd loose the magical H/T infrasonics (over rated), but 8 of 'em with say 5-8KW would crack your drywall joints (might take out your windows too). I've already done so (not the windows yet) with five 15's on less than 3KW. It's sort of cringe inducing to hear physical damage occur to part of your house.

If you really hammer the lows in your HT you'll know when the damage happens.

First the framing makes haunted-house creaks, bangs & pops as the room settles/shift. Then you'll notice the cracks forming in the drywall corners and ceiling interfaces. Then (if you have a projector) you'll notice the now powdered joint compound snowing down from the ceiling corners and lighting up in the projected beam. FYI, this was a new construction house when I bought it - doh!

On a side note, EDM shows have brought down commercial/wearhouse building roofs ontop of the audience in more than a handful of shows. When you have >100KW and umpteenth subwoofers operating at the limit, major structural damage has occurred. Auto sys's can damage a vehicle in an amazingly short time too (I have no idea what your talking about ;-).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.