Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Can definitely do that =)

Matthew,
the 15LB100 might be what Luca is looking for? If yes, give me the necessary dimensions and I'd gladly provide the drawing :)

GKH,
Yes, I should be able to make the 15LB100 work in 30hz tuned cabinet .. . The cabinet will likely be larger than what we were looking at for the 12s but it will work (with a steep "rising" response) in the current Super Planar 8th configuration :)

I have been dabbling with a method which tames the rising response in such a situation and also allows for a reduction in cabinet size ..... Just a modification to the Super Planar 8th .... I plan to post about it soon . .

Our common friend tried to disturb the thread once more - and someone else sent him for a vacation in a nuclear plant :)

Hahaha!! Ok , now i remember.... I did see that before it was taken down ..... I specifically remember that someone mentioned the name of an infamous Japanese nuclear power plant but had misspelled it :tongue:

Last edited:
GKH,
Yes, I should be able to make the 15LB100 work in 30hz tuned cabinet .. . The cabinet will likely be larger than what we were looking at for the 12s but it will work (with a rising response) in the current Super Planar 8th configuration :)

I have been working on a method to tame the rising response in such a situation and also reduce cabinet size ..... Just a modification to the Super Planar 8th .... I plan to post about it soon . .

I'm standing by...

Hahaha!! Ok , now i remember.... I did see that before it was taken down ..... I specifically remember that someone mentioned the name of an infamous Japanese nuclear power plant but had misspelled it :tongue:
:D:D:D

Originally Posted by Just A Guy

Letting Hornresp run the adjustment formula instead of following Djim's shortcut (which incidentally does not follow basic 6th grade math rules of which order to do calculations) we get this for the two quoted examples.

Original BL = 40, Le = 2.5mH, Re = 5.2, NEW BL = 31.23 = ~22% Decrease !

Original BL = 40, Le = 3.5mH, Re = 5.2, NEW BL = 30.17 = ~25% Decrease !

So for whatever reason your calculations were off by a bit which is relatively pronounced since your lower normalized Le example gave a higher loss estimate than the higher normalized Le example.

But still, losses in the range of 25 percent apparent motor strength are no joke - you can't take away 1/4 of your motor generated force and expect your sims to be accurate.

So even though your calculations were off by a bit this is still very important stuff so thanks for bringing it up.

OK, yeah it's definately very important :)

Originally Posted by David McBean

The formula you should have used is:

Adjusted Bl = (0.7234 - 0.0782 * Ln(Le / Re)) * Original Bl

Where Ln(Le / Re) is the natural logarithm of Le / Re, and the value of Le is expressed in millihenrys.

Thanx ;)

the standards are different from modern ratings

....Thomann 15LB100 ....It's good and cheap but has only 5,5mm of X-max....

Luca ,
The Xmax is very conservatively rated .... It has a lot to do with how the Xmax is calculated .... If we look at the same formula that big brands like B&C, RCF and 18sound are using and apply it to the voicecoil length and magnetic gap depth provided we end up with a much higher Xmax figure for the 15LB100 ... We find out that this driver is actually very competitive :) It would be nice to measure the Xmax using the 10% THD standard such as Eminence uses but we don't have the equipment for that ...

Here is what we were able to put together for the 15LB100:

15_LB100_great_for_SUPER_PLANAR_-_MMJ.png

Although the 15LB100 is much happier in a 40hz tuned cabinet , it can also be forced to work in a 30hz tuned cabinet ..... The cabinet will be larger than what would be required for a strong 12 , but the 15LB100 does produce some decent performance for the price ..