SVS PB12 NSD driver substitute

Hi All,

I have a SVS PB12 NSD subwoofer that has a blown driver :( It is the 2007 model that has the driver that I believe is from TC Sounds. I was very disappointed to see that the driver blew as the subwoofer has not been subjected to any REAL hard work! :mad:

Any way, SVS has a replacement driver, but it's exactly the same, not an improved version like they have in their newer designs, a peerless xxls driver.

I was thinking of going the DIY way and replacing the svs driver with a Peerless xxls 835017 or the ScanSpeak 30W-4558T00.

What are your comments regarding these drivers and which would be the better choice.

PS. The sub is large and has approx. 130L of volume.

Thanks for your advice

Hi Mike,
How did the driver fail, was that a mechanical failure or did it get zapped into a crispy critter?

The driver failed while watching Toy Story 3 where in the beginning you have a nice low bass extension :)

The driver moves freely with no scraping sound or any loose parts. There is no burned smell or anything weird about the driver, it simply does not work.

According to SVS it might be an broken coil or some internal damage.

I am reluctant to get the same driver from SVS as I don't think it's that well built. I have attached some images of the TC Sound driver (driver that was in my SVS subwoofer), nothing really special about it, only that it's BIG.

I was reading good things about the ScanSeak 4558 and Peerless xxls and thought it might be an opportunity to upgrade to a better driver.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20140819_165300.jpg
    IMG_20140819_165300.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_20140819_165512.jpg
    IMG_20140819_165512.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Hi,

Doing some simple calculations for Vb, Fb and F3 and the values I got are the following:

- Peerless : Vb=136.81 L
Fb=21.56 Hz
F3=21.37 Hz

- ScanSeak : Vb=112.29 L
Fb=19.91 Hz
F3=21.79 Hz

Since my subwoofer volume is approx. 130 L the better option would be the Peerless driver, right?

Sorry for the noob question but I'm no expert and don't have any software to help me :no:.

GM

Joined 2003
It depends on several things......... but first, any clue which TC model? I doubt it's custom made for SVS. Also, is this ~130 L net? [driver, amp, vent, bracing deducted from the cab's gross internal Vb]. Vent length, i.d. and o.d. of flares? Or better yet, any factory or other measurements to indicate its tuning [Fb]?

GM

The 130 L was the value I got from the subs external dimensions, I have not subtracted any bracing or driver, vent volume. So you are correct, the real volume for the box would be less than 130 L.

Regarding some specs of the older driver, I could not get anything on the net. I know that the port is 4" and that the boxed was tuned to 20Hz.

It's not a TC built driver, more pix of the input terminals and lead wires would be helpful.

Death by excursion but not bottoming? It might be an issue with the input leads, hopefully they are not on the bottom spider...

I have attahed some pictures of the leads, they leed to the lower spider (yellow part of the driver)

The info I got regarding the driver being from TC SOUNDS came from this webpage where they compare the current driver in the PB12 NSD (Peerless XXLS Variant) with mine, the older driver.

SVS PC12-NSD Review Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Thats why I was inclined into getting a new, better driver like the Peerless.

Attachments

• IMG_20140903_211316.jpg
    IMG_20140903_211316.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20140903_211429.jpg
    IMG_20140903_211429.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20140903_211538.jpg
    IMG_20140903_211538.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 288
Hi NEO Dan,

Actually looking at my driver it is very similar to the one on the right, the basket is slightly different but the lower spider and even the magnet setup seems identical.

The driver on the left is the newer Peerless xxls 12" that is used in the new SVS PB12-NSD.

Last edited:
Another noob question... looking at the two drivers below would it be correct to say that the driver on right would outperform the one on the left?

I know there is no clear answer without the driver T/S but does the "its bigger it's better" saying not apply here?

I am asking because I intent in buying either the Peerless or ScanSeak driver (driver on the left) and when compared to the driver on the right it seems to be very small and gives the impression of been weaker :)

38054d1348325932-svs-pc12-nsd-review-discussion-thread-foto-15-1.jpg

Hi NEO Dan,

Actually looking at my driver it is very similar to the one on the right, the basket is slightly different but the lower spider and even the magnet setup seems identical.

The driver on the left is the newer Peerless xxls 12" that is used in the new SVS PB12-NSD.

That basket was designed in house at TC Sounds, at that time nobody else could buy that basket. They are not the same driver.

Not really, especially WRT just looking at magnet size.

GM

Looking at the Xmax (linear) from the both the Peerless and the SeakScan of 12.3 - 12,5mm and looking to the magnet size of the old driver is it a good assumption that the older driver had a much larger Xmax?

I am a bit afraid that I may over extend the new driver as in size comparision it is smaller than the old driver.

Again, not necessarily. Anyway, I can't imagine a manufacturer whose reputation rests on its sub woofer lines would reduce its performance any audible amount, so assuming the Peerless you're contemplating is what SVS is currently using in the same cab alignment, it seems the best choice overall. It also seems reasonable to assume that at least one reason why they switched was due to issues with your original one.

GM

Try a dayton UM12-22 12" ultimax

It has 19mm xmax

Unfortunately I can't find a supplier here in Europe that has this driver available.

Hmm, this driver wants a ~176 L to just be a max flat alignment, so what are you thinking, sealed with EQ?

GM

I am going to use my existing SVS enclosure that has approx. 130 L. I don't intend to go for a sealed or EQ stabilized enclosure.

I think that the Peerless is the most adequate driver for a vented box with this volume. Correct?