SVS PB12 NSD driver substitute

I can only assume so since I don't keep up with the myriad selection of drivers today to offer alternatives and again, I can't imagine a manufacturer whose reputation rests on its sub woofer lines would reduce its performance any audible amount.

WRT using a higher Xmax driver, this will require a larger, longer vent with increasing Xmax to maintain the same low vent mach, so going much higher isn't a viable option IMO plus small increases are inaudible down in the bass.

GM

I am located in Portugal.
SVS use custom version of peerlees from what I know and I don't know if there is some kind of electronic filter built in the sub amplifier.
Another driver that "could" work is eminence lab 12 its about 150 euro shipped or the AD12-300SB that is the monolith sub driver, both you can get from BK electronics.

You should also measure the reflex size and insert in the sims to che tuning and wind velocity.

Anyway I think that the best option is to ask a replacement driver, maybe asking for some kind of warranty.

You should also measure the reflex size and insert in the sims to che tuning and wind velocity.

Anyway I think that the best option is to ask a replacement driver, maybe asking for some kind of warranty.

The port size is 4" and from the SVS specs it's tuned to 20Hz (with the old driver).

With regard to warranty.. they have a replacement driver that's exactly the same as my current one and it's in the same price range as that of a Peerless xxls 12".

I was thinking of getting a newer driver, possibly improving the performance of my subwoofer (or noT :scratch1:) as the price would be the same. Looking at the specs of the Peerless and knowing that SVS use one in the newer PB12 sub it would be a possible candidate.

I have manged to get the SVS curve (from the internet).

It looks like there is some flattening by the onboard EQ of the amp, or am I reading it wrong?

Attachments

• SVS_Curve.jpg
    SVS_Curve.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 193
Let me know how it goes! I just blew the driver in my 25-31CS and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently looking at either the Dayton Audio UM12-22, or the TC Sounds Epic 12. The TC Sounds outer diameter is bigger than the driver I have now.

The Peerless xxls is much lower wattage than my current driver so I'm thinking that isn't an option.

I emailed SVS but they haven't responded yet. Maybe they'll give me a deal on a replacement.

Hi there, effectively the tc sounds sub is a higher performance unit than the xxls peerless one . From a very close source to SVS, I was told that the move to xxls model was a "cost down" design change in the new models.
Keeping the same amp plate(if it was active box) and moving into the lower performer xxls driver, not only won't get you the same results as with the tc sound but your risk damaging the new xxls as it might not be able to handle that much power.

Get an exact replacement from SVS,period.

Well I've bit the bullet and bought the xxls driver! I had to cut out approx. 3mm in the inner diametre to fit the xxls driver in lol.

With regard to the result... I am very happy with the outcome.. the bass "seems" to be tighter and more hard hitting. I dont have a frequency analyzer so I can´t tell how low it goes but, listening to SACD of Norah Jones and Diana Krall the sound was VERY well defined, deep and overall solid. I would even risk to say it's better than my older driver, there seems to be more definition to the base impact (if you can call it that) lol.

All in all I am happy with the decision to go Peerless instead of the SVS replacement. I do blieve after hearing the xxls that's it's a superior driver :)

Any idea on how I could perform a frequency sweep and get the corresponding graph?

Last edited:
Cool! A step down for SVS doesn't surprise me if they still have the performance mindset I had to deal with on the long gone HTF DIY forum back circa 2000. I'll take 'tighter'/'hard hitting' over sheer peak SPL any day. WRT bass definition, the Peerless has a lower Qts, so will emphazive

I'm way behind the times WRT measurement, just see a lot of folks use REW or similar. Anyway, lots of threads on the subject and you can browse threads her to see how/what folks are using.

GM

Last edited:
I have tried out some movies that I know contain nice bass sections.

Among them were:

Lord of the Rings - Sauron ring finger hits the ground (great subsonic bass) - Result - very powerful reproduction, no clipping of driver and great definition. On par with the older driver if memory serves me well.

Days of thunder - race cars going by. - Result - nice quick bass response and very good spl! Very loud! I would say that this sounded better than the SVS driver.

Alien - ship landing - Result -nice clear bass, no port flutter as previous driver. Clear solid bass.

War of the Worlds - opening moments where the alien ships rise from the ground. - Result - great great bass extension and definition.

So overall, the results are aligned with the previous post, a very good driver and I would risk saying that in my current setup it out performs the SVS driver (at least the one I had) with regard to bass definition and impact.

A good choice to consider if someone else is facing a similar situation. :up: :cheers: