The Othorn tapped horn

Ideal would be a simple impedance curve (via DATS or something similar), followed by a 28.3V @10M sine sweep FR measurement in an open area down to just below Fb would be ideal, though failing that, an FR measurement done with the mic at least one mouth's width away from the TH's mouth would be fine.

No problem, happy too. I will keep you posted. If anyone else had any requests, feel free to reply here or msg me.

Is that aluminum? Are you going to rivet the access hatch on too?

It is indeed my friend. It has worked really well, and we are fairly confident it will add durability and longevity, to one of the few potential problem areas of the Othorn (if some of the old threads across the internet are anything to go by).

We used a rather strong and expensive epoxy to bind the aluminum, some top shelf stuff my friends father uses for sculpting racing kayaks (until it ran out of course :rolleyes:) and some decent wood glue for the two runners along the underside of the main panels. Now we have the option of countersinking the bolts through the top of the access panel, which leaves us with an easily accessible and driver and an access panel that should last a wee bit longer, and offer support to one of the weaker areas of the structure.

And yes, we will have grills covering all that unsightly (but beautiful) mess :)

upload images

The feelz when that final driver is loaded. Will post some pics of the entire setup in action, probably some time in the new year.

Massive heart felt gratitude going out to Josh. We deeply appreciate all your effort and creativity, that went into making this a reality. This also goes for everyone else that has contributed ideas and input along the way.

Be well for the holidays!

Kia kaha

Infinite Audio NZ

Reactions: 1 user
Running Othorn with PD1850/2

Hello !

I'm looking forward for informations about the compatibility of the PD1850/2 with the Othorn, would it be something realistic ?
I don't want to deal with 21" speaker and others 18" are requiring a huge amount of power to reach the capacities of the recommanded speakers.

I just want to know if building the cab and put this speaker in is worth it and not ending up with something worst than going for an easier cab ahah, it would be to play Reggae and Dub music which loves those low frequencies.

If my idea is not totally crazy, which plans would be the right ones ?

I read a lot of posts but ain't find something about the combo Othorn + PD1850/2 excepted a simulation but I can't trust it entirely, those cabs are an investment as a student ^^

Maybe I can have as well, the thoughts of the builder !

Thanks a lot,
Wishing you a nice day !
Alex.

Hello Alex,
I do not think those drivers will work well in this cabinet. These cabs need a strong cone, very strong motor and a lot of xmax. With any bass cabinet design you need larger displacement in order to maintain high output to deeper frequencies. This is why a very high power handling, large xmax 21 was used. This enables it to produce comparable output in the upper bass with typical pro cabs with extension to only 35-45Hz and maintain good output to the 25-30Hz range.

Can I prevail upon you please to do an FR and impedance curve test on your build with the access panel off and the mouth facing into the ground so it's effectively blocked off? Mucking around with the sims suggests that it might be a quick way to boost the efficiency of the cab and sacrifice a little low end - real-world measurements will confirm if that's the case.

Bump.. :)

Hello !

I'm looking forward for informations about the compatibility of the PD1850/2 with the Othorn, would it be something realistic ?
I don't want to deal with 21" speaker and others 18" are requiring a huge amount of power to reach the capacities of the recommanded speakers.

I just want to know if building the cab and put this speaker in is worth it and not ending up with something worst than going for an easier cab ahah, it would be to play Reggae and Dub music which loves those low frequencies.

I read a lot of posts but ain't find something about the combo Othorn + PD1850/2 excepted a simulation but I can't trust it entirely, those cabs are an investment as a student ^^

Thanks a lot,
Wishing you a nice day !
Alex.
superscoop is a good for pd\s&reggea
or miniscoop if you want something smaller
and there are severall designs wich dig deep
keystone,the T118 ,the ft30

WOW.... thats all I can say

Yes there are many things you will nitpick about in this photo, buts lets stick to the cream (as Ive said before, us people in NZ are a little 'different' and largely feral). Unfortunately, we were all so busy with things outside of unloading the system, that once everything was completed by helpers and we got back to zone, the design for all the subs lined up together was history (holy crap they are heavy :( )

I've heard many different systems outdoors in my 40 years on Earth, in many different countries. From Nexo to one of the biggest F1 rigs in the Southern Hemisphere to DIY mashups. I must say, the Othorn is something very special, and I first want to again, thank the wizard Josh, for helping to drop this piece of science into the consciousness of NZ.

My lasting impression, is that the bass seems to come up from the Earth and support you, rather than driving through your chest cavity, taking your breath away and almost forcing you to feel/listen. Paired with the ES18's and Res2's, this system was a joy to listen to, much more than I expected, as there was very little tuning able to be done (due to festival work load and time). Apart from a PEQ on the A&H mixer, very little mucking around with xovers, a one band dip on the highs of the Res2's and some quick 15min calculations for the sub delays, this system was run literally out the gate, and boy were are all impressed, which is a big thing considering one of NZ's top audio techs in the outdoor festival world is part of your team. I believe he even mentioned making 100 of them for world domination takeover, while we enjoyed a few drinks on new years eve ;)

Anyways, I'm tired and just off site, so I hope you all enjoyed you new years.... I'm off to sleep for a week!

Peace

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad they perform well and everyone seemed to enjoy the bass.

Your comments echo many what I've heard from many others. They seem to make people happy. Guys with plenty of experience with sound/different subs say that they just do something right. I really enjoyed what I heard from mine while I had them. I'm totally an objective / science based person so my opinion is that the totality of the in depth measurements tell the story of why people subjectively like what they hear from these. Or maybe there is some secret sauce...

Cheers

Hello !

Thanks a lot,
Wishing you a nice day !
Alex.

Hello Alex,
I do not think those drivers will work well in this cabinet. These cabs need a strong cone, very strong motor and a lot of xmax. With any bass cabinet design you need larger displacement in order to maintain high output to deeper frequencies. This is why a very high power handling, large xmax 21 was used. This enables it to produce comparable output in the upper bass with typical pro cabs with extension to only 35-45Hz and maintain good output to the 25-30Hz range.

Hey Alexlel,

I'm a student and I had the exact same thoughts as yours, the only difference is that my friend had 2 pd1850's laying around, and I was ready to go when I saw simulations.

Dear Josh,

thank you for the plan and this amazing design. It is certainly game changer and beast in it's own league. Here is small report of 2 othorns pd1850 loaded.

I was working 1 and half week on them, most of the time alone.
They need a lot of preparation, precision and budget. In my case I was using
CNC in combination with saw for angles, I had to do a lot of adjustments for available CNC machine. For example I draw everything for 2440mm x 1220mm plates, but later changed everything to different format since price was almost 105euros per plate. Later I managed to cut all costs on 50% with smaller plates.

Once when you have everything cutted things start to get smoother. Tricky parts are braces, if you don't have Kreg Pocket-Hole System or simmilar, but there are ways to do them. Also I had some problems with adapter and putting the 20kg driver in, then adjusting it properly and screwing. I had some mistakes because of 1andhalf week thing non stop full power work, but have to say that I'm more than happy with how did it went.

I finished building everything 45 minutes before my academy was closing, I was literally running to do a small soundcheck. I took tannoy studio monitor, hooked it up to xilica processor and crossed them around 80hz over one othorn.

Can't remember exactly what was the first tune ever, but when the first bassline dropped the whole room started to rumble and resonate. They sound deep, smooth and warm, not very physical but again you kinda feel them.
Didn't had any time left and got kicked out.

Next day I was powering a benefit party that we organised on academy, from 10 in the morning until 10 in the evening. Luckily I had some time in the morning to do the setup. I did rawest estimation on delays and gains for my system, without any measurements. Few minutes later my usb cable got unplugged from processor and that was the last time computer to processor connection was working ever gain (haha :headbash:)

Anyway, back to othorns. I was powering them up with Proel HPX4600 each driver on one channel, 850W at 8ohms. I have a plan to put more power with limiters (bridge is 4600 2ohms), but I was considered with 500W Xmax problem from simulations that were published here.

Othorns were really warm and precise, but when I've put the volume up, I noticed that one driver had a problem. I could hear paper cone making strange noise, so immediately I've put it down on amp channel. Trough the day I was listening, putting it up and down, but this strange noise would just appear out of nowhere on louder levels.

This is what I was thinking about:

Cone is hitting adapter somehow?
It's probably impossible because driver xmax is smaller than distance to nearest wood

Something like screw was left in horn?
I would hear noise all the time, not just on higher levels.

There is a problem with driver. This pd's were reconed few times, used on heavy dub sound system, tested in other speakers. Probably when reconed somebody who thought that he is qualified person to do it, he didn't placed it in the middle and reconed driver properly?

Or, on the end pd's are just technically too weak for what we want to hear from this box, comparing to what this box is capable to do when loaded properly.

Once when I will be back in country, I will post some updates and hopefully reliable measurements.

ps Infinite Audio NZ you must be a lucky guy, this looooks crazeeeee!!!

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• 26551497_10155638639973551_616145114_n.jpg
    26551497_10155638639973551_616145114_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 484
  • 26551295_10155638640543551_1481779042_n.jpg
    26551295_10155638640543551_1481779042_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 26551630_10155638641288551_621034148_n.jpg
    26551630_10155638641288551_621034148_n.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 26551421_10155638638328551_439847572_n.jpg