Bob Cordell Interview: Negative Feedback

Re: My $0.02

syn08 said:

BTW1: I started the PGP amp auditions tests yesterday only. I took copious notes and I'll post as soon as I'll put them together. There are good news and some not so good news and I was focusing mostly on the latter. I was mostly interested in criticism rather than praises. I was able to find a few very nice (although not new) correlations between sound quality and some implementation details. These tests will continue along 2008 and the sites will be periodically updated.

BTW2: I can't speak for others, but certainly I was not expecting a "a rash of frenetic [PGP amp] building". I am aware of a few constructions going on, that's flattering, but ultimately the PGP amp was build because it was fun to.

Ovidiu,

Can you give some details WRT source / other equipment used
in the subjective tests.

Thanks

Terry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Effects of Psychology on Evaluation

Bob Cordell said:
Thanks for your observations, Mike. I think there may be a lot of truth to some of your observations, although I don't think that the participants in these threads are trying to keep certain area of topics from being discussed.

I have also at times put out an idea and it either did not get picked up on, or it took off on a distracted path. In some ways, these threads are a microcosm of the industry. Some of the really hard things to do are not followed through on, only to be replaced by speculation or people citing years of experience and this is how it has always been.

We all need to be able to challenge conventional thoughts out there without being hammered by conventionalism.

A long time ago I actually did build an amplifier that could easily be reconfigured between no feedback and high feedback and did some tests on it. It was in the context of the IIM debate started by Otala. By doing so, and by using Otala's own recommeneded test approach, I showed that the amplifier actually had lower IIM when it used feedback.

But we must also not throw out the baby with the bathwater. While my experiments showed that Otala was wrong in blaming NFB for IIM, they did not assert that there was not something in the nature of IIM that was worth looking at. Related to this, for example, was the need for good output current capability in power amplifiers. Blaming the problem on NFB was simply an unfortunate distraction. I think a lot of that sort of thing still happens to this day.

But these kinds of experiments and detailed measurements can be hard to do, and sometimes it is easier for people to speculate.

As a very curious person, I really do wish there were more controlled follow-ups on debated issues. Follow-ups that attempt to eliminate non-relevant variables, for example.

I was fascinated to read the descriptions by Charles Hansen in another thread on his resistor listening tests. It raised a thousand follow-up questions in my head. He just rightly cares about what is the best-sounding resistor to use in his amplifier, while I probably tend to care more about why that resistor sounds better than the others; e.g., is there some relevant measurement that we can isolate so, going forward, we might know what characteristics to look for. Maybe it has something to do with the metallurgy of the interface between the resistive element and the external leads. Maybe there is some kind of rectification or resistance modulation going on there.

But if there was, and that was responsible for the sound difference, wouldn't we be able to measure it. Would it result in a measurable distortion in the equipment in which it is used? These kinds of questions fascinate me.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to understand and respond to my post. Just a couple of simple replies to specific comments:

It was not my intent to say that anyone was attempting to control the content or direction of the discussions

My thoughts concerning a test amp were a bit more focused. Being able to swap driver cards with variations of the contested approaches in a stable circuit environment seemed plausible. A kind of physical implementation of your simulations. Pop in an input/driver card, listen, measure and repeat. Once the circuit is designed the rest is governed by straight forward rules. Anyways, I just saw an interesting possibility.

Yes we need to challenge conventional thought, but be prepared for the lack of interest.

I agree with your comments on NFB. I think its audible negatives are magnified by the number of things that it’s required to fix. If it’s kept simple, just nailing down operating points etc., it actually is pretty hard to hear.

I also read the comments on resistor differences, and while I’ve heard differences between resistors I don’t consider them a core driver to the fundamental sound quality, more like seasonings in a recipe. As such, their effect would be subtle (masked) in any attempt to separate and measure their effect. The real culprits in audio design are much simpler in scope and will not be solved through a fanatical quest to minimize the same mechanisms that have been already beaten to death over the years.

While many factors are not readily measured they are hearable, with the ear being far more sensitive than conventional testing. Given time audio testing will catch up to what’s being done in other industries.

I’m not really a negative person; I just created (for myself) an unrealistic expectations of this forum. I remember starting in the semiconductor industry after 16 years in audio. I was expecting to be walking into a high level of technical excellence. It was a bit more fragmented than that.

Mike.

AKSA said:
This is the same sort of nonsense Nicola Tesla faced at the turn of last century, and I believe most of his heresy has been vindicated.

OK, here's the question.

WHAT IS THE PRECISE MATHS CORRELATION BETWEEN DISTORTION MEASUREMENTS AND LISTENING PLEASURE?

IOW, how do we correlate between low measured distortion, and that which is appreciated by the listener/consumer? And how can we reconcile amplifiers of identical THD which sound quite different?

It is often said that everything in audio electronics has been discovered and well documented in the last sixty years. But the psychoacoustic effects, notably the man/machine interface, are not so well known, and perhaps this additional discipline needs more investigation by those here suitably qualified. There are many who continue to purvey circular, often sneering, arguments to the cowboys who mindlessly assemble circuits of which they understand nothing, yet these cowboys are still touting to the unsuspecting audiophiles out there who clearly need an education.

Until the question in block letters above is answered, this tragic corruption of trade will continue, but I for one would love to know why the odd, unexplained things I do in my circuits sound so damn good.......

Flame suit on.... and enjoying the heat already.....

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your broadening of my basic observations. I do find it interesting that so few technical people will acknowledge or look for explanations for observations that do not fit the standard world view. Mostly such things are dismissed as irrelevant.

It is also important not to replace things that don’t really need to be replaced. This is what the drive towards mass production breeds. Such well documented advancements are difficult to dispute on the basis that they don’t sound better.

As you know from your experiences designing your amps, there are many curiosities that are real yet don’t fit to the world view. Trying to integrate them into your personal knowledge base is the challenge and what makes life interesting.

As for an answer for your question, a new way of measuring is probably the best approach. A software based version of Bob Carvers null test, only you normalize the input to the output and analyze the various levels of differences, which could be done with actual music and, as Bob has suggested, using a real load. Computers and software are coming along nicely.

Just a thought. Mike.

AKSA said:
[snip]
Nowhere, however, does the article actually mention distortion figures per se, and neither does Carver explain their relevance either, regrettably. I guess this knowledge remains in his head......
[snip]
Cheers
Hugh [/B]

Hi Hugh,

True. But I concluded from this article that the distortion figures (harmonic as well as non-harmonic) were equal and therefore both amplifiers sounded just the same.

Cheers, Edmond.

Jan,

I emphatically agree. Self changes everything. The greater the mind, the bigger the ego, and so the intellect is enthusiastically harnessed for self-justification. This explains the ebb and flow of scientific fads.

Edmond,

Thank you for your post. But you are referring to distortion measured by a very different mode.

Distortion specs are normally given steady state, sinusoidal, constant frequency. The technology is not presently able to give such measures with real world signals. Carver is in fact nulling dynamic distortion with real music, one of the great unknowns. He is using a subtraction process between two amplifiers to isolate the error 'sound', and tweaking until it is 50-70dB below the line signal. I would suspect, but cannot verify, that the dynamical transfer function is rather different to the steady state TF, but I leave this weighty problem to those with more math inclination than me. I would suspect that identical steady state distortions between two amps do not match dynamically, and therein lies the rub.

Granted, they are all distortions, but Carver's technique uses a very much more realistic approach to tease it out, and it's very likely because of the garbled mixture of frequencies and amplitudes which constitutes music that the dynamic distortions are very different.

Mike,

Could this be the DSP approach to which you allude? Yes, I think it's coming, and I suspect that the codec jockeys might hand us the solution to this vexing measurement paradigm.

I applaud Carver's technique, I think it's highly intuitive and nicely empirical. More than that, anecdotally notwithstanding, I learn something......:clown:

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,

I don't know who was first on the time scale, but this subtractive method was proposed in the 1983 ADI AppNote AN-245: Instrumentation Amplifiers Solve Unusual Design Problems, by Walt Jung and Scott Wurcer (see pages 5&6 for details). The trick (and the problem) is to apply the inverse transfer function at the ouput to obtain a flat gain/phase response and to rigourously filter everithing outside the bandwith of the achieved identity in transfer functions -- otherwise phase shifts (and later, gain differences) will dominate the residual. Stuff like thermal distortion, PIM etc should be identifyable with proper trimming and sophisticated measuring techniques. With two amps, one would need to match the steady state linear part of their output impedances, together with matched simulated speaker loads, in order to see things below the differences in Zout.

I found it actually easier to duplicate the DUTs transfer function in the other leg instead of inverting it in the amp's output, which allows for somewhat easier ciruitry. As an aside, with a similar test-setup I tried to nail down "cable sound" a while ago (DUT is acable, while the REF leg consist of its trimmable equivalent LCR), which was unsuccessful, but at that time I didn't know of time domain averaging before data processing (ie FFTing of HD and IMD signals), which allows to dig some 20...30dB into the thermal noise.

- Klaus

janneman said:
In audio, we live by anecdotes. We humans are story tellers. We love stories and hate statistics. Everybody loves the story about grandpa who made his neighbours wife pregnant at 94 after a life full of smoking and drinking.

Or my personal favorite, the horse that did mathematics. There are many amusing analogies to high-end audio in that story. The horse could not actually do mathematics under double-blind conditions BTW :).

Yes John, I have experienced the problem myself... in the cable test rig. The trimmable cap in the LCR equivalent circuit was an air type radio tuner style (if that's how it's called), which is very stable and has low distortion. The diff amp was a SSM2019, running at 50dB or so. Every small accidental movement of the DUT cable (especially bending it) changed its capacitance a bit and produced a phase shift, loosing the carefully adjusted nulling.

- Klaus

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KSTR said:
I don't know who was first on the time scale, but this subtractive method was proposed in the 1983 ADI AppNote

I was using it in '74, and I feel certain somebody was doing it
before that. BTW, my best figures were -80 dB, but I had to
use a resistive load to get that, otherwise the results were no
better than the output impedance.

Uh, back in 1974, at some 9yrs, I used to pull the tubes in my parent's radio, playing my first electric guitar over it ;)
In a "let's see what happens if do this and that", not knowing how dangerous this all was, 300Volts and all... :hot:

Actually, if it's not you who deserves the credits, I bet some tube dudes did it first, say back in 1930 or so...

- Klaus

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
AKSA said:
I hold Robert Cordell in the highest esteem because he is prepared to open his mind and listen. Robert will posit the question, why does it sound good? But there are many others here who do not. Consequently, the true audiophile, one who arguably loves his/her music and will spend any amount necessary to achieve 'engagement' with it, is ignored in these weighty prognostications. This encapsulates the entire problem, the lack of a real connection between the ultra technical and the market driven realities. The classic example of this syndrome occured recently when the Dartzeel NHB108 was rubbished mercillessly, presumably without the critics having heard it, entirely on the basic of a conceptual schematic I published on this very list.

:rolleyes:
Oh dear. Robert Cordell has made multiple criticisms of other peoples designs and design techniques / innovations (presumably without listening to them) throughout these threads.
As for the Dartzeel thing, that was rubbished because it was a primitive design with an obscene price tag, the existence of which was justified with a load of pseudoscientific marketing baloney - hardly evidence of any detrimental "syndrome" - just commonsense.
Some people just seem to lack the latter.

Now what was the topic of this sticky thread again??

scott wurcer said:
Bob, I just walked past you in the hall. I did a double take but it was too late, he crowd was too much. I'll look for you tomorrow.

Hi Scott,

I hope we can see each other. I'll be in the High Speed Transceiver session this morning, Session 25, Salaon 9. I'll be in Session 29 this afternoon. I'll also be here tomorrow in the High Speed Transceivers Forum. If you propose a time and place to meet, I'll try to be there. Maybe lunch today if you get this?

Cheers,
Bob