Simple RIAA phono preamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugle!

Optical said:
gotcha
so what did you do with these diodes? did you put them across the power supply?
Have a look at this schematic.
At the output of first amp, there is an arrow and a constant current (2 mA) symbol.
The constant current diode was placed there,
to the negative supply. Makes the OP run in Class A.

Nicke schematic

I think it is a modified version of Linear Tech'
application for LT1115 + LT1010.
see LT1115 datasheet

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugle!

Optical said:
so what did you do with these diodes? did you put them across the power supply?

This part isn't really a diode. It's a FET with a buitl-in source resistor and the gate in connected to the other end of the resistor. This forms a classic current source made of a FET. This current source is connect between the output and the negative rial = the outstage goes in class A more than it would.

Check here but if you will see it more clearly look here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugle!

peranders said:

This part isn't really a diode. It's a FET with a buitl-in source resistor and the gate in connected to the other end of the resistor. This forms a classic current source made of a FET. This current source is connect between the output and the negative rial = the outstage goes in class A more than it would.

Check here but if you will see it more clearly look here.

So if you can not find those seldome used CC-diodes,
you can use a JFET transistor and a resistor, just as well.
That makes you able to change to desired current,
within the JFET's limitations.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugle!

halojoy said:
So if you can not find those seldome used CC-diodes,
you can use a JFET transistor and a resistor, just as well.
That makes you able to change to desired current,
within the JFET's limitations.

Right, but since you are from Sweden you can easily buy these from ELFA. Check art no. 70-095-09 and forward. Note that they are rather expensive, 1-2 USD.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bugle!

peranders said:
Right, but since you are from Sweden you can easily buy these from ELFA. Check art no. 70-095-09 and forward. Note that they are rather expensive, 1-2 USD.

Right, I know. I have almost complete collection of ELFA catalogue,
for some 10-12 years back.
I wouldn't know much of components without ELFA.
Optical might find them diodes, too, in NZL or AUS.
But if not he can use a JFET instead.

Optical said:
wow, thats a really cool idea.. Is the change in the output actually audible though?
i guess it cant be a bad thing though!

i cant find any constant current regulators in my area, so a jfet transistor and a ~100ohm resistor would suffice?

hook up the JFET + resistor to a 12-15 V supply.
By messure the voltage across the resistor you get
the current.
Current=Voltage/Resistens I=U/R
change the resistor til you get 0.002A = 2mA

Start with a 1 Kohm resistor
2 Volt/1000 ohm= 2 mA
lower the resistor for more current

peranders said:

I have tested it and I can't hear any difference...but I think you can lower the cross-over distortion somewhat, but how much?

I have tried it with AD797 and LM6172 and that is the reason I used it with the OPA637.I would always use a constant current source with an opamp,it is worth it IMHO.

By the way,I can recommend my phono stage.It sounds really good,I have no problem with noise despite the "high"(compared with a AD797 or LT 1115) noise of the OPA637.

Nicke

Re: Re: Bugle!

peranders said:

Yes, check the resistor values of the feedback. Way too high! Almost any RIAA of class has values from 5-10 ohms, max 100 ohms (MC) to 100-220 ohms, max 470 ohms (MM). High values generates noise.

OPA2130, ugh! noisy! NE5534 has 12 dB lower noise!

To have resistors in series with the non-inverting input are also totally unneccessary, adds noise only. The opamps are FET-type = very low input bias current => Resistor matching means nothing in order to reduce offset voltage. Since OPA2130 is a FET amp, this resistor choice can reduce distortion but I think it's more wise to have low resistor values instead, then the distortion will be low

Mostly true, but...

The NE5534 has fet's at the inputs. See:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/datasheets/NE_SA_SE5534_A_2.pdf

If you choose to keep the resistor values in the feedback as low as sugested in the quote above the value at the noniverting input can be propotionally lower.

If you decrease the resistor values with a factor 100 I suggest you either put in a lot more batteries or put in a good quality powersource. I expect the lifetime of the batteries to be decreased with a factor 100 as well.

By the way the schema of the bugle seems pretty simple an can be built cheaply. (NE5534 costs 1,50 Euro, better opamps mentioned in this thread cost much much more)How can equipment that's according to you be sold for such high prices?

Peranders, do you hav the schema of a Nad PP1 and MTech?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.