Zerozone class A dc offset adjustment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you only need a few watts, it seems odd that you've posted a list that spans 10-30 watts models. The headphone version of JLH 1969 can manage at least 3W. However, I would be careful about whose kits you buy, regarding general parts quality and voltage rating to use at slightly higher supply voltages than headphones might require etc.

Kits are commonly a single PCB design so check this is OK for your arrangement and that the PCB layout has generous allowances for space between hot transistors so that there is plenty of cooling airflow. The tiny heatsinks usually supplied to keep costs down, are woefully ineffective, even for as low as 3W/8 ohms output capacity.

IIRC, you were looking for sweet sound and it should be recognized that "sweet" implies audible, low order harmonic distortion. If you select a low distortion design, its unlikely to meet your requirement. JLH's design may not be exactly what you seek but it has a long history of delivering very satisfying audio for wide range speakers.

How well it works as just the tweeter drive, is for you to discover, though it's been popular in this role for many years.

Ok, thank you for the input!
'A few watts' to me would be maybe 5W into 8ohms, since I might use the amp for another tweeter in the future, or even full range.

Looking at the JLH with rectifier and capacitors, since it's basically the same price as the one without. Then I have the option to use them or not, depending on if I feed them from power bricks or transformer.
V18 PNP Sanken 2SA1216 JLH1969 Class A Power Amp Kit 10W+10W Amplifier Kit | eBay

I have heatsinks to do the job, and a couple of transformers that might, but the 'enclosure' I made is intended for the laptop bricks, so it will take some extra hours to rebuild it (not the inverter-hack in the beginning of the thread).

I like the treble from some class AB too, but I want to try the class a route just out of curiosity. I don't mind a low distortion design, I just figure a tweeter amp working at low power and high frequencies would be the perfect job for a class a design. A class AB might not measure so good in these conditions? 'The first watt', is my clue here.

I have now ordered the JLH1969-kit in the link. I was reading about the amp, and the distortion performance seems good with almost only 2nd harmonic, rising with rising output power, but still on a low level, especially at low power levels.
I think it will be a good candidate for tweeters. I have the possibility to use one 18V brick per channel too, making it dual mono, or put in a transformer etc. But I think I will start with the bricks and see how they perform, since it is a simple and cheap setup.

Maybe I will come back to these Aleph Mini's, but the boards are starting to look a bit ugly now. I feel a bit reluctant to change the circuit too much without the knowledge to simulate first, and at the moment I don't have a good setup for distortion measurements to verify performance after mods. I think I need a better sound card, the Behringer I have was ok for class D, but probably not for lower distortion levels.
Planning to upgrade and do measurements in the winter.

Thank you all for your input!

I also bought a pcb from zerozone. Aleph 3. I replaced all the transistors and capacitors.I got FU9210 for IRF9610.I paired IRF 9610 to 5mA.

for example
3,540 etc.

Bias 1,2A DC offset less than 20mA.Everything works great

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_111052.jpg
    IMG_20201226_111052.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20201226_175619.jpg
    IMG_20201226_175619.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20210106_125800.jpg
    IMG_20210106_125800.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210106_125849.jpg
    IMG_20210106_125849.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 111
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 132
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.