Importance of the quality of the DC-blocking feedback capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Benb thanks for your reply.
Over the past 25 years I have built several solid state power amplifiers, both bi-polar and
power mosfet types.
On all of them I used a 220uF low ESR electrolytic capacitor for feedback decoupling.
I found that using a 220uF capacitor improved bass response compared to a lower value as often shown on many circuit diagrams.
Also I leave out the input DC blocking capacitor and DC couple the power amplifier to my OP27GN pre-amplifier.
Also my pre-amplifier has no input DC blocking capacitor.
This brought about a huge increase in sound quality across the whole of the audio spectrum.
I realised that DC blocking capacitors aren't required as I always incorporate DC offset loudspeaker protection.
I have also carried out these simple modifications on two MXF900 commercial mosfet power amplifiers which has brought about an enormous improvement in sound quality.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Over the past 25 years I have built several solid state power amplifiers, both bi-polar and
power mosfet types.
On all of them I used a 220uF low ESR electrolytic capacitor for feedback decoupling.
I found that using a 220uF capacitor improved bass response compared to a lower value as often shown on many circuit diagrams.
Also I leave out the input DC blocking capacitor and DC couple the power amplifier to my OP27GN pre-amplifier.
Also my pre-amplifier has no input DC blocking capacitor.
This brought about a huge increase in sound quality across the whole of the audio spectrum.
I realised that DC blocking capacitors aren't required as I always incorporate DC offset loudspeaker protection.
I have also carried out these simple modifications on two MXF900 commercial mosfet power amplifiers which has brought about an enormous improvement in sound quality.

I thought this was going to be a technical contribution. Where is it?

Jan

power mosfet types.
This is all well and good, though knowing the resistance/impedance associated with each capacitor helps determine the exact effect. For the feedback cap, the R in series (such as R2 in post #214) along with the capacitance value determines the low frequency cutoff.

Yes, claiming a "a huge increase in sound quality across the whole of the audio spectrum" by omitting an input coupling capacitor is not a technical contribution; it is wishful thinking. How about saying 'a tiny change in bass response' instead?

I understand what you are saying regarding the input capacitor.
However, a very short piece of copper wire must surely be better than a capacitor. The copper wire doesn't have a frequency dependant reactance across the audio spectrum and doesn't introduce any phase shift either.

My comment regarding the sound quality does produce a considerable improvement in bass extension. However, to my ears and the ears of my friends there is a good improvement in the mid and treble clarity.

These improvements are based upon listening tests not wishful thinking.

For my listening tests I'm using a pair of Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers.
Maybe you think the Tannoy's aren't good enough to show up the difference in which case perhaps you could recommend speakers that are good enough.

Now this is a technical contribution ... :cool:

Jan

Ten years ago I designed and published an improved crossover circuit for the
3828 Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers.
My improved crossover has been copied by many people who are very pleased with the performance compared to the original Tannoy crossover.
Now if that's not technical enough for you then please explain what is.

Chiefmegawatty said:
However, a very short piece of copper wire must surely be better than a capacitor. The copper wire doesn't have a frequency dependant reactance across the audio spectrum and doesn't introduce any phase shift either.
You could get more phase shift by moving your head a few cm. "A considerable improvement in bass extension", if real, means that the original capacitor was the wrong value.

Jan was commenting on your contribution to this thread. As you are new here none of us have any idea about your previous contributions elsewhere. The fact that something in audio has been copied by others means nothing; there are sections of the audio world where daft ideas are more popular than sensible ideas, and we have no way of knowing which yours was without extensive reverse engineering or carefully controlled blind listening tests.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ten years ago I designed and published an improved crossover circuit for the
3828 Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers.
My improved crossover has been copied by many people who are very pleased with the performance compared to the original Tannoy crossover.

Maybe we have a language problem here. I don't see anything technical here, unless it is the point that you designed a crossover?

In that case, I can claim this is a technical post because I am using a keyboard which I installed on my computer.

In my book, a technical post is a post with technical content as opposed to 'I build this and it sounds great and my wife agrees'.

Jan

I wonder if the DC-blocking feedback capacitor is what prevents those cheap solid state amps from obtaining good performance in terms of THD. As Cyril Bateman's article shows, a polar cap can have harmonic peaks in the -90dB range. I wonder how good the amp's THD level could be when such a cap is in the feedback loop. In contrast, the Benchmark AHB2 has a measured THD level under -120dB. Maybe the removal of the DC-blocking polar cap from the feedback loop is necessary for making an amp with low TDH. Doing so, however, would sacrifice the unity gain at DC. Seems to be a dilemma.
There are several approaches to get better results:
1) go to post #58 and 60 #under
myths and facts on electrolytic capacitors in audio circuits
2) Bypass of a foil capacitor
3) Bypass of a diode
4) without the NFB cap and offset servo.
I prefer the approach of number 1) - unfortunately only to use with jFET-LTP as input stage.
In case of an unbalanced power supply this issue don't exist, because GND and neg. rail are the same potential.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.