Early effect in LTP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who cares about the Early Effect in a LTP concerning PSSR ?

Just exclude resistive LTP load via any kind of current mirror and, of course, put a high-input resistance buffer before next common emitter stage.
First - you will pick at least 80 dB gain from that three stages, second - due to high feedback depth voltage deviation at LTPs collectors will be neglible.

Feedback is a cure for Early effects in an input low-current, low-voltage deviation stages.
The main distortion source in the amplifier is Early effect in the last VAS stage where huge voltage deviation are really couldn’t be excluded.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Buy a batch and measure them yourself; depending upon which devices you choose, the cost could be as low as $9.92 for 100 parts. example.

To maximize the probability of getting parts from the same manufacturing "lot", I suggest you buy components in "Ammo Pack" and/or Tape And Reel packaging, rather than loose devices a/k/a "bulk".

Buy a batch and measure them yourself; depending upon which devices you choose, the cost could be as low as $9.92 for 100 parts. example.

To maximize the probability of getting parts from the same manufacturing "lot", I suggest you buy components in "Ammo Pack" and/or Tape And Reel packaging, rather than loose devices a/k/a "bulk".
Indeed, this will be the only way to figure this out, if nobody has gone before or dare to publish it. This asks for a test jig dedicated to extract the Early voltage.

The main distortion source in the amplifier is Early effect in the last VAS stage where huge voltage deviation are really couldn’t be excluded.

The main source of distortion in modern amplifiers is the output stage. Amplifier theory is advanced that Input and VAS distortions are negligible when compared to the output stage distortion in any modern design. It's the output stage crossover distortion that is the major contributor to any competently designed modern amplifier.

Wow, more interesting.
The relashionships of BJT parameters and the reasons why. Thanks, this is right on what I am looking for.
Is it possible to go a step further about Beta versus Va ( Early voltage ) with a quantitative relashionship. Stating for instance: A +5% Beta goes with a +5%Va ?

Sorry it's not that specific, you would need to consult the standard texts on this like Sze.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I got interested in Early voltage a while back, and published some, not all, of my measurements in this thread:

Measuring the Early voltage "VA" of some PNPs at 8mA

Lots of people made the same bold assertion in follow up postings: (Beta times EarlyVoltage) is a constant!! They are inversely proportional!! It's all directly related to VceMax. Duh!!

So I created a scatterplot of my measured data. See below. I only measured one transistor of each part#; if that's not what you were hoping for, I am sorry.

For the transistors that I measured, Vearly varied over about a 12-to-1 range, while (Beta*Vearly) "only" varied over a 6-to-1 range. Which is not a very good approximation of a constant, in my opinion.

_

Attachments

• plot1.png
    plot1.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 280
  • plot2.png
    plot2.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 280
Is it possible to go a step further about Beta versus Va ( Early voltage ) with a quantitative relashionship. Stating for instance: A +5% Beta goes with a +5%Va ?

There are different crystal spec’s responding for Beta and Va.

Really severity of Early effect could be obtained for specific trannie model by looking at its static characteristic.
Low-early:
IMG_1281.jpg
Moderate to high Early:
IMG_1282.jpg

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, and your graphs can even be used easily to obtain the early voltage. Just extend a Vce/Ic line to the left and see where it crosses the neg voltage axis. That's your early voltage.

(The graph is from Peter Baxandall in Linear Audio | your tech audio resource and illustrates the early voltage distortion effect)

Jan

Attachments

• early.PNG
    early.PNG
    135.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.