Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is a quick sketch

Attachments

• 005F099D-2D26-4578-A037-80F3C44F527C.jpg
    005F099D-2D26-4578-A037-80F3C44F527C.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 186
Strange..

-Did you measure resistance from signal ground to protective earth on the amp (not powered)
- With source and amp powered, but RCA disconnected, if you measure AC voltage between source signal gnd and amp signal gnd, what do you get? (current is more interesting, but voltage is easy to measure)
-Try reversing the polarity of the AC plug on amp or source (not both) and measure that voltage again.

All with one mono channel.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
For dual mono, there should only be one connection between the channels and that is right at the input connectors. In this way you ensure no internal ground loops and no cross channel ground loops.

I have never built a dual mono, but in theory it should be as quiet as a standard design. I would recommend you use the ground lifter - again this will ensure no connection to the
chassis below c. +-1.2V.

Best thing is to start from the beginning and wire everything up step by step. Building a quiet amp is a challenge and it does take practice (I am still learning ;) )

Please see below.

Attachments

• 56F228AE-F52C-40AB-B2FD-408C90072946.jpg
    56F228AE-F52C-40AB-B2FD-408C90072946.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 85
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Strange..

-Did you measure resistance from signal ground to protective earth on the amp (not powered)
- With source and amp powered, but RCA disconnected, if you measure AC voltage between source signal gnd and amp signal gnd, what do you get? (current is more interesting, but voltage is easy to measure)
-Try reversing the polarity of the AC plug on amp or source (not both) and measure that voltage again.

All with one mono channel.

This is a good start to solving the issue. Indeed, try to get the one channel hum free first.

Rallyfinnen, I have done quite some sims and measurements on adding your cap to the bias controller.

Indeed, there is a very big improvement in distortion especially at LF. I will post some results later today.

Great!
Actually I have not even tried the amp without it. Interested in getting your (subjective) impression if you add it to your amp.

I do love the bass my amp is putting out. I have not heard an amp with such good bass control without harshness in the higher registers. In my previous experiences it has been either one or the other. This strikes a good balance. This is why my priorities have been towards low PS impedance, but since I have not tried ripple eaters on the power stages, I don't know if it actually matters..
(I'm a sucker for good bass control, getting the right drum and bass sounds)

Last edited:
I don't understand how you measured..? Voltage from RCA ground to safety ground? Seems like high voltages though..

-Measure between source and amp signal grounds with RCA disconnected (RCA ground on source to RCA ground on amp) with both powered on.
-Try switching polarity on one power plug and measure again.

-With amp totally disconnected, measure resistance from signal ground to safety ground on the amp. You can do this on the source too if it has a safety ground AC plug.

Seems like a case of high transformer leakage I think

Last edited:
GND and RCA 0ohm

It should not be 0 Ohm. Without ground lifter connected it should be open. With ground lifter it should be HBR + ground lifter resistor, 33+10(?) ohm. You need to find the short between safety ground and signal ground and remove it.

Is the RCA connector on the amp screwed to the case so the ground is connected there?

EDIT: Looking at the picture it looks like open circuit when you measure resistance to ground and have jut a 1 . on the meter? It should be 0.0 if it's a short? The other measurements, again I don't know what you are measuring?

Last edited: