Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
IMG_0247.JPG

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello small update on new PCB's

I decided to generate my own Gerbers for the JLH shunt phono pre amp .. why ? well I only had a few original boards that I purchased way back from hart kits .. plus they are not available anymore

I don't do surface mount and I like decent size solder pads now that I am 58 ;) plus would be happy to sell the boards at cost to so I can purchase more boards cheaper if needed

My approach was a general tidy up and did not warrant a total re design as the layout worked every time so why re invent the wheel plus the design uses easy to get hold off transistors well in the UK at least and gave up with 2sk170 type family which seems to be the fashion / obsession with most designs .. plus its sounds nice !! plus always been a fan of JLH

so main points -

1 - tidied up the PCB tracks from the old transfer tape method
2 - Generated a Gerber file
3 - added thermal relief to the top earth plane to help soldering
4 - 2 oz copper
5 - Gold ( nickel immersion gold )
6 - made the pads slightly bigger then original

Also I made the PCB the same original size so would fit into the original Hart kit enclosure as there are a few units out there being used by enthusiasts

I have also also developed the original PSU that was used, I know better power supplies are available but mine works with no issues and 99% of all components including the transformer can be mounted on the PCB .

regards

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
The power supply I made was originally in bare copper although looks nice and easy to solder ( I could have lacquered I suppose) but eventually went for Gold to give better protection and more compatible with types of solder etc

This power supply is abit universal for me as also use for the JLH class A head phone amplifier so has different socket configuration depending on what I need
has good star earthing and can handle 5 regulators .. its simple / I like it and it works well

pic of copper version ( no silk screen )

IMG_0326.JPG

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just for reference by request

the silk screen layout that matches the original build manual .. would you believe I purchased this board back in the early 1990's
For some reason on my builds (not always) I like the bare gold PCB nice plain and retro .. well to me anyway looks nice in a finished project but this normally applies to my own Gerbers only .. yes I do also purchase boards from other designers / hobbyist etc as cheaper to purchase a already designed board at a cheaper price.

silk screen layout to help ..
also is the same foot print as the original so will fit the original phono hart kit enclosures (Andante No. 3550-3)

IMG_0336.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok a little update as last year I had to put a new tiled roof on my workshop and in this process this little project had some small water damage.
so decided to strip the chassis down and rebuild with some small mods ..

so over view picture

IMG_0413.JPG

Reactions: 1 user