Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Getting closer to a working amplifier, I hope :)
Although it's a large 4U 400mm case, there's not much room left.

Small detail, I've put thermally conductive paste between the two heatsinks (each side has two heatsinks) and also the frontpanel.
So the frontpanel and the four heatsinks become one radiator.

The next step is installing the backpanel with softstart and DC protection on it.

Attachments

• P00125-203001s.jpg
    P00125-203001s.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 338
  • P00126-135750s.jpg
    P00126-135750s.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 318
  • P00126-135811s.jpg
    P00126-135811s.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 324
  • P00126-215117s.jpg
    P00126-215117s.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 307
  • P00126-215132s.jpg
    P00126-215132s.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 584
Thanks!
You think that a 4U/400 case is large until you try to put everything in,
always buy the larger case when in doubt :)

Some more details,
the transformers rest on the wooden multiplex but are fixed with bolts to the frontpanel,
the transformers are sandwiched between rubber washers on the bolts.
The mains goes under the wooden multiplex in which I've routed a channel, coated with aluminum paper and connected to earth.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Danny,

Good idea to employ the front panel as radiator. I did not add thermal compound on mine, also a 4U but 300mm single UMS heatsink on Dissipante case. The front panel gets quite warm and probably contributes maybe 10% of the cooling.

Your build looks very impressive. That’s one of the most manly-man PSUs I have seen! Complete with active bridges and big iron CLC.

Looking forward to your listening impressions. What voltages and bias currents are you set up for? Is this a 4ohm capable Alpha?

I also shifted the PCBs one cm more to the frontpanel than in dead center,
this to distribute better the heating of the two mosfets (taking in account the frontpanel as radiator)

Yep, the 4R version (1.8k FB shunt resistor), I'm obliged after all the simulations I did ;)
The rails will be 24vdc, bias 1.9A, higher damping factor with NFB resistor divider trick.

I'm also eager to hear it play, hopefully next WE

I'm building myself a new Alpha, and it's time for me to measure all my ksa992's to match a few pairs. I have a couple quick questions.

Do we only need to match of hfe?
Is there an ideal range to try and find matches in?

I have a bunch of 992s so I should hope I can get good matches.

Thanks!
Gable

No, you don't need to match hfe.
BUT if you wish to, here is the procedure:
1. Select two transistors with an hfe within say about 5, eg, 345 and 350.
2. Match at least ten of these pairs for your required two for a stereo AN. But now you will need to match Vbe, voltage from base to emitter, so they match too.
You need to set up a jig which passes 2mA stage current into a diff pair, using a bipolar +/-15V supply, with the two bases connected to ground, the collectors to the -Ve rail, and the two connected emitters connected to a supply 7.5k resistor at the +Ve rail.

To fully match two bipolar transistors, you should match not just hfe, the beta, but also the Vbe voltage so they match also under load.

Hugh

No, you don't need to match hfe.
BUT if you wish to, here is the procedure:
1. Select two transistors with an hfe within say about 5, eg, 345 and 350.
2. Match at least ten of these pairs for your required two for a stereo AN. But now you will need to match Vbe, voltage from base to emitter, so they match too.
You need to set up a jig which passes 2mA stage current into a diff pair, using a bipolar +/-15V supply, with the two bases connected to ground, the collectors to the -Ve rail, and the two connected emitters connected to a supply 7.5k resistor at the +Ve rail.

To fully match two bipolar transistors, you should match not just hfe, the beta, but also the Vbe voltage so they match also under load.

Hugh

Excellent, thank you Hugh!

Hi X,

I have an unused chassis available and was wondering if it would be suitable for a stereo ABBB or Nirvana?
The chassis has (4) 8.0625" H * 10.0625"L* 2.875"Thickness (.375" base plate + 2.5" fins). (2) heatsinks per side.

Regards,

Cambe

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 263