implimenting a baker clamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
clipping latch-up solutions?

hi,

this amp has a bit of latchup when pushed into clipping (same results with no load and into 7ohms).
I put two 1n4148 diodes in series with Q9's base and one from Q9's base to collector..unfortunately it has made very little change.. see scope shot.

Attachments

• v10 jpeg.jpg
    v10 jpeg.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 869
  • clipping latchup.JPG
    clipping latchup.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good question.

The lateral FET's need ever increasing drive voltage as current demands increase and so making the driver stages operate from higher voltage is one way to maximise output potential of the amp. You could easily see peak Vgs voltages of 8 volts or more under high drive conditions.

This is my thinking. It would then give a reference voltage for baker clamps off the VAS outputs.

But with the voltage rails as shown in the schematic, when the amp clips, the MOSFETs are not driven close to the rails. Could improve stability at clipping if the IPS clips first.

It does work. For switching circuits (i.e. class D amps) it's pretty much mandatory to keep it from self destructing. It will, however, increase nonlinearity in the output stage, especially at high frequency. Using the smallest gate stoppers you can get away with (while maintaining stability) and increasing the available drive current with a buffer stage also help.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is my thinking. It would then give a reference voltage for baker clamps off the VAS outputs.

But with the voltage rails as shown in the schematic, when the amp clips, the MOSFETs are not driven close to the rails. Could improve stability at clipping if the IPS clips first.

It could certainly be worth trying.

Also, running the FET's off a higher rail is just reducing their safe operating area and increasing dissipation, all for no gain.

Is this clipping behaviour really an issue though ? In the scheme of things it looks pretty well behaved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.