FET-hex explendit amplifier

Hello

Recently I have build VSSA amp (shaan version bit modyfied) and I am very happy with it.
I had few irfp240/9140 pairs in stock so I decided to build another version (as I am not an expert some upgrades may be needed).
Bellow schematic, board, and measurements. The measurements were done on prototyp board and all components weren't matchet (just taken stright from the box).
Bias is stable, cold amp seted to 100mA (15C) hot amp 92mA (78C), I didnt have irf540/530 so I used irf840 instead. I think that amp can use bit higher power supply than +/-35V.
Amp is playing really good.
Thanks to LazyCat and Shaan

Ps
I was thinking If it would be recommended to leave 0,1R source resistors and put 47R gate resistors instead 100R ?
My sound card is not the top notch and is creating some high order harmonics artefacts (there are present at the same place on different amplifiers measurements).

Attachments

• DSC_0583r.jpg
    DSC_0583r.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8,699
  • fet-HEX 8R plus 0.47uF.png
    fet-HEX 8R plus 0.47uF.png
    130 KB · Views: 1,227
  • fet-HEX compensation.png
    fet-HEX compensation.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,323
  • fet-HEX 8R plus 0.47uF square.png
    fet-HEX 8R plus 0.47uF square.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 7,553
  • fet-hex 5khz20V.png
    fet-hex 5khz20V.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,624
  • fet-hex 3khz20V.png
    fet-hex 3khz20V.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 7,846
  • fet-hex 20V.png
    fet-hex 20V.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 8,367
  • FET-hex v4 zelazko.pdf
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,660
  • FET-hex ccs v4 top.brd.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • FET-hex ccs v4.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 3,143
Last edited:
I moved the vas stage under the board. There are 2 caps added just before each o/p transistor. Places for fuses if someone are going to use them.
I have tested the amp how it would react in case of one of burned fuse.
If the ''core'' of the amp is permanently supplied there is no DC at the output, so there is safe to use fuse protection in the amp.

Attachments

• FET-hex ccs v6 zelazko.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 986
  • FET-hex ccs v6 bottom.brd.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 893
  • FET-hex ccs v6 top.brd.pdf
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,033
  • FET-hex ccs v6 schematic.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 2,623
  • no fuse 3.jpg
    no fuse 3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,525
  • no fuse 1.jpg
    no fuse 1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,087
  • wzm1.jpg
    wzm1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,116
I moved the vas stage under the board. There are 2 caps added just before each o/p transistor. Places for fuses if someone are going to use them.
I have tested the amp how it would react in case of one of burned fuse.
If the ''core'' of the amp is permanently supplied there is no DC at the output, so there is safe to use fuse protection in the amp.

Hi Borys,

Nice to see vssa variant. How does SQ compare to 2sj162/2sk1058? Can I use IRF540/IRF9540? Thank you.

Regards,
Boyet

:up: These are some excellent test results Borys! Especially the THD measurements.

Can I ask which Hantek you used to do these tests? There are several of them, and I know some have better reviews than others.

I am using portable dso1060 scope as I work a lot on the cars.
I must upgrade my sound card and function generator. The amp is made without matching any of the components - just stright from the bag parts.

There are eagle files anyway.

I can maybe draw the n-channel version but I do not want to upload not tested version.

Attachments

• FET-hex v6.zip
    91.3 KB · Views: 932
I am using portable dso1060 scope as I work a lot on the cars.
I must upgrade my sound card and function generator. The amp is made without matching any of the components - just stright from the bag parts.
Yeah, there's always something better you can upgrade to (chuckle). I had a National instruments DAQ card and some LabView apps that did an excellent job, but none of that stuff worked with Windows 7 or later (sigh). I would be interested in comparing some notes on that, because I feel a bit handicapped with just my standalone scopes.

The input pairs I am using on my version of Shaan's PeeCeeBee were matched. Feedback resistors also. Nothing else. KSA/KSC pair cannot be matched in D/E versions, and I think there is no point matching the mosfets. I did adjust the gate R values however, according to the gate capacitance of the mosfets, similar to what LC did.

Frankly, I am surprised the harmonic distortion measured as low as it did. Again, good job!

Currently I am working on upgraded more powerfull version of FET-hex amplifier.
The new version has code name BG2-fet.
It will have 2 pair of outputs (or more). One of forum meber advised to add double bootstrap for vas stage, and so far is working great.
There psu voltage is not wasted anymore. At the moment I have only 80W transformer so further test and developments will be required after Ill get bigger buddy.

Bellow results:

THD
Measurement is allways with amplitude 20V just to compare all my amps. Unfortunetly my sound card has some artefacts on measurements, I hope I will have time to upgrade it.

boot21-Clipping
Output voltage on 8R load vs vas bootstrapped voltage

boot23 and 24
Supply voltage vs output voltsge 8R load, as you can see amplifier is very very efficiednt (thanks to raven and mr zbig from my forum).

boot25
Sypply voltage vs 50Hz square - you can see my 80W transformer has drop the load :p

boot26
Clipping vs bootstrap again

boot28
some RNB song

boot27
Here I have small question - from approx 4kHz the bootstrapp is starting to collapse a bit, I do not know If I have to be woory about it cause the power spectrum of music signal for higher F is not as high as for lower F's.

BG2-fet
The test amp itself (temporarly with one pair of outputs and no source resistors - there will be a time for them further)

Attachments

• boot27.png
    boot27.png
    127 KB · Views: 289
  • boot28.png
    boot28.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 244
  • boot26.png
    boot26.png
    117 KB · Views: 235
  • boot25.png
    boot25.png