YBA PASSION 1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YBA

Hi Sakis!

For what its worth, the YBA:s I have seen inside have all been VERY neatly laid out with industrial quality in both PCB and components. So this leaves us with following:

Could it be some sort of (eastern) copy?
Have any self appointed "engineer" butchered the inside?

Just my 2 cents.....

Wino

well to be honest the subject is "running " also on a Greek forum and actually is a quiet serious issue and in between and after a few phone calls first i found out that YBA as we know it doesnt exist any more A chinese company is pulling the strings now not possible to talk with the guys on the phone and phone numbers in france also dont work anymore and the web of te company is not properly updated

Though after a few calls in France i was promised that mr YBA him shelf will take a look at my email and provide me with answers .

I may start by re posting the e mail i ve sent to YBA and then i will post some pictures also

here is the email ...

Dear sir

One costumer of our company brought in for service /repair one of your amplifiers YBA passion 1000 and there is a number of problems and questions about that need to be answered....

The unit serial number is 902001

-----The unit has no CE marking on it
-----The unit had no electrical ground ever connected on the standard IEC connector that is located on the rear panel
-----The power supply cord marked as YBA has also no ground on it
-----There is a device that looks like a power conditioner coming with the amp without CE marking , without ground ,and without any electrical information on it regarding model/power /ratings/safety
-----Please notice that only cables of the power conditioner are marked as YBA and there is no other marking on the device
-----Please notice that beyond no markings present all ground points on the ( french standard three pin ) power splitter are cannibalized /chopped off the power splitter

Generally there is also a number of things that the costumer is concerned about that don't actually meet the spec manual of the amplifier

----balanced XLR leads exists on the rear panel but inside there is no balanced circuit and/or any additional information regarding a balanced connection exists on the rear of the amp or the manual
----Even tough it is clearly stated in the manual that transistors are mounted in solid copper and with out mika insulators in reality the metal is either bronze or anodized aluminum in a gold color and transistors are mounted with mica insulators
----There is all short of wiring and soldering problems in the soft start board and seems that something is wrong there the all circuit looks very """hand made """
----There is got to be some bias issue since your manual states an undefinable class .... ( class Alpha ) which obviously is not class A and as we speak the unit is biased at 5ma /device and to our understanding this amount of bias is barely enough for a class AB amplifier
----The unit after scope readings shows limited bandwidth and asymmetrical clipping yet to be defined if this is a design issue or some kind of failure
----The unit also has a number of M10 nuts fitted as spacers between the main sassi and the top cover , fitted with longer screws , to create a gap between the top cover and the main sassi probably to ensure fresh air flow inside the amplifier .Problem is that this gap is almost 10 mm wide and that doesn't look very safe .

Now the actual problem started when the costumer ( which is also a father of of two young children ) noticed a small electrical leak when touching his YBA preamplifier or the amplifier ...The leak was enough to feel with his hands but not enough to trigger the existing safety relay that is a standard in electrical installation in Greece ( obviously this is expected when equipment features no electrical ground ) .As a father of two young children our costumer was furious requested a qualified electrician to trace down the electrical leak which was due to a faulty DVD player , and then requested our company to run a full safety check on his amplifier for starts . Above you have our findings and once more we will have to tell you that the costumer is furious regarding all the findings around the particular YBA passion 1000 and he was also ready to inform the Goverment's Consumers Institute regarding the ground issues and the CE markings .

We advised the costumer to consult with YBA first ,please let us know what is wise to do .Obviously the above findings may not state if these are factory issues or other issues .Generally the picture you get by looking inside the machine is that is very hand made , or a machine that is not coming form an organized manufacturer .

Now ...after the electrical problem and combined with the rest of the issues the costumer has seen on the amp the truth is that your costumer has lost trust in your company taken also in mind that this is not an amplifier that costs 500 euros . We actually know very little for the history of the amplifier and one may not tell if the amp is original and factory made or it has been a subject to any modifications by any unauthorized technician .The all amplifier looks like a "demo" version ....Please notice that we also have pictures of our findings and you are kindly requested to advise us on how to proceed from here.

Thank you very much .

Kind regards
Sakis Petropoulos
( Electronics Engineer of National Technical university of Athens )

+302294091111
+306944879399

some pictures

DSC00342.JPG

DSC00343.JPG

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

some info from a retailer was given saying that this might be some demo version that they had to quick quick assembly to meet a deadline for some show or exhibition and the particular amp was never to be sold to any costumer

still there is way too many issues with this machine and no matter what i is not really very safe to operate a 2KW rated machine with out proper safety measures

kind regards
sakis

Hello sakis,

I have repaired many YBA 1000 amplifiers and can confirm from the images you posted that it is one.
Use the keywords YBA P1000 SM to search the elektrotanyadotcom website to get to the link that should permit you to download the service manual.
I would send it to you but I am away from home and the internet connection in my hotel is awful...
I will be back home next week and should be able to help you more then.

By the way YBA has a new website, ybahifidotcom.

Best regards,

Michel

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Sakis - 'hope you are in better shape than this...err..amplifier.

'Can't think why you would question the manufacrturer on this. It looks like attempted repairs or modifications by someone who had liitle experience but too much confidence. You don't know the reasons why people do such things but there are many possibilities, particularly when someone tries to cover up damage they may have caused.:nownow:.

I can't see any manufacturer shooting themselves in the foot by selling something so badly built and performing... Nope!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.