Thule Audio Components - Overview

Thank you for your help, but I only want to replace the RCA connectors that have been removed, not to change them to balanced connectors.

I just don't know where either the positive and negative part of the RCA plug are supposed to connect to, on the circuit board, within the dac itself.

Sorry for the confusion.

Many thanks,
Simon.

the tin-plated rectangular PCB surfaces (your image from post #18 of the PCB aera for the RCA connectors) goes to the negative part of the RCA plug. And the positive part to the small pieces of wires in front of the tin-plated rectangular PCB surfaces like your right estimate from post #18.

Last edited:
Hi agian.

I just thought I'd update you on the DAC200 issue I had.
Thanks to you I've got it all up and runnig, and it sounds great.

I've attached a couple of pics, one of the "repair", the other is just to show the layout etc.

A small note on the issue with the balanced connections.

I asked why the dac had no balanced input. Well having had a "lightbulb" moment last night, I found out the answer, it doesn't need one as the signal is digital, so any issues with interference etc. don't affect the signal anyway. (I think).

Thanks again.

Bset regards,
Si.

Attachments

• dac200 2.jpg
    dac200 2.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 823
  • dac200 3.jpg
    dac200 3.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 591
Thank you for this pics. Good pictures and good work. I hope, you haven't forget the shakeproof washer (lockwasher or what ever the right english term) between the gold plated solder tag and the flat hexagonal pressed nut.
Hi agian.
I asked why the dac had no balanced input. Well having had a "lightbulb" moment last night, I found out the answer, it doesn't need one as the signal is digital, so any issues with interference etc. don't affect the signal anyway. (I think). Thanks again.
Bset regards,
Si.
By longer distance an AES/EBU connection avoids additional jitter in a more effective way than usual coax cables.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/appnotes-d/jittercu
The main switch seems to be the same than that one mentioned by post #2 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/177555-main-off-power-switch-various-nad-amp-models.html

Last edited:
I'm afraid I did not add any lock washers as I did not have any with the RCA's.

The tags are soldered and the nuts have a dab of nail varnish (my girlfriends) on them, so I'm hoping they stay put.

As a matter of interest, I wanted to upgrade the caps on both boards, but I forgot, so I'll add some washers when I do this.

I've had a look at the links, and I get what it all means, though I don't understand the technical stuff. I'll be using very short (maybe 12 inches) co axial cable for the signal, so I'm hoping this will be ok.

I prefer to use coaxial simply as I was told years ago that it is better than optical as the signal does not have to be changed from an electrical one, to an optical one and and then back again.

I'm open to suggestions, but I don't think this thread is for that, as I've not really had the chance to use an offboard dac of my own, as I've always gone for the one box approach for simplicity.

I'll look around and see what I can find on the subject.

Cheers,

Si.

Hi again.

I have a also have a CD100 (not the Spirit), but the only information on it was on another hi-fi site which shows a very spartan inside, no balanced outputs, and the written description goes on to say that it is fitted with a Burr-Brown PCM1710 DAC chip,

Mine (and yours) obviously have the balanced outputs, and I know mine is fitted with a Crystal Semiconductors DAC chip, twin transformer power supply.

Well the question is; why was the CD100 was made in two completely different configurations, but was never sold as a mkI and mkII.

Many thanks,
Si.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 541
Hi again.

I have a also have a CD100 (not the Spirit), but the only information on it was on another hi-fi site which shows a very spartan inside, no balanced outputs, and the written description goes on to say that it is fitted with a Burr-Brown PCM1710 DAC chip,

Mine (and yours) obviously have the balanced outputs, and I know mine is fitted with a Crystal Semiconductors DAC chip, twin transformer power supply.

Well the question is; why was the CD100 was made in two completely different configurations, but was never sold as a mkI and mkII.

Many thanks,
Si.
Only the designer, Mr. Anders Thule, would be able to answer this question - go to
http://kbh-hifi.dk/spaw2/foto_klubmoeder/thule_audio/P1000082.jpg

To find out his currently phone number and/or address go to
Google (www_google_dk)
and click on the botton
"Sider fra Danmark" after put in the keyword "Anders Thule" or "Thule Audio"

I had brochures from Thule Audio, released/launched 1995 or 1996.

On top was to see Mr. Anders Thule itself (the great smiling gentlemen) so as the CD-Player from the third image of post #11 and the integrated amplifier from the second image of post #12.

Who can upload the images of this broshure?

Nobody here, who have this paper?

about the URL
ELECTRONICS / Thule | Hifi Shock: vintage audio video speakers cd dvd bank of inside photo
you will find a lot of images/views from inside of Thule Audio Components.

On top was to see Mr. Anders Thule itself (the great smiling gentlemen) so as the CD-Player from the third image of post #11 and the integrated amplifier from the second image of post #12.

I am still looking to this.

I am still looking for images of this broshure.

I am still looking for images of this broshure.
Now I have got images of this broshure from a friend via email.
Who can upload the images of this broshure in high resolution ?

Attachments

• DSCF2191.jpg
    DSCF2191.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • DSCF2192.jpg
    DSCF2192.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF2193.jpg
    DSCF2193.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF2194.jpg
    DSCF2194.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF2195.jpg
    DSCF2195.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
CD-Player "Spirit" Line
CD100 unbal. DAC-PCB 1xPCM1715U or PCM1710U ("Circle"),
CD-150B bal. DAC-PCB 2xPCM1715U or PCM1710U ("Spirit"-Player),
CD-150B + updrade bal. DAC-PCB with 4xPCM1702 ("Digit"-Player)
Upgrade DAC-PCB Kit "Digit" for Upgrade of CD150B ("Spirit-Player") to CD150B ("Digit"-Player)
errors or missing information I can't completly rule out - I am very pleased for appropriate informations

I am looking for a Upgrade DAC-PCB model "Digit" (4xPCM1702 in use) in faulty condition. I need it to perform troubleshooting at my own device. Who can make me an offer ?

There are also a successor, the "DIGIT-II" - go to
Thule Audio Digit II - Manual - Upsampling Board - HiFi Engine
Oppgradere CD spiller, THULE DVA 150B med DIGIT II
Who can upload the schematic ?

Attachments

• thule digit-II.png
    thule digit-II.png
    211 KB · Views: 148
  • thule audio digit-II.jpg
    thule audio digit-II.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 155