Phase coherent, low cost, 4th order XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Off the top of the head:

1. Rod Elliot’s ESP project
http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm
Even with revision, modelling with circuit design shows that this is not phase coherent

2. Behringer 3-way CX (3400 ). http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=CX3400&lang=eng
Costs about the same as a Elliot ESP (including components about $US 150), ready made and adjustable.
But is it phase coherent?

3. DYO (Design your own) requires reasonable skill/ knowledge.

4. Other?
:scratch:

Non phase coherent XOs could be fixed, with phase correction.
:idea:

Scenario A: Active

Scenario B: Passive
Best option

Richard;)

minimum phase , linear phase , phase coherent crossover
means that the crossover does not produce phase distortion

thus in systeum using XO with linear phase characteristic will produce summed output waveform with flat magnitude and phase characteristic.

traditionally this means using 1st order butterworth network, however some people have used various method to compensate for phase error in some active XO design so that the XO can be of higher order (steeper roll off) and still have the characteristic of 1st order butterworth network

:)

I hope this might help :nod:

Some other terms are in use also. There were good articles about it by John Kreskovsky, but unfortunately I just discovered he removed (it seems it happened yesterday!) whole content of his site. Phase coherent system is that which at its output shows the same relations between the phases as it was at the input. If phase coherent system has flat amplitude response then it can be considered as transient accurate, i.e. it will have good transient behavior. In itself, it is not an exclusive privilege of the first order crossovers.

Richard, you should ask this question rather in the loudspeaker forum. But, when you asked already…

I’d rather never use 24dB crossover. Be it active or passive, phase coherent or not.

When you correct phase of the non phase coherent crossover, you get the phase coherent crossover, we are walking in circle with it.

There is a bulk of the crossover simulators, so you can model crossover day and night. Linkwitz-Riley is not the only way to achieve phase coherent crossover.

Pedja

Hello Hartono,

Strictly speaking, you’re right, LR is not phase coherent. But among the stock crossovers it has the best transient behavior. It has linear amplitude response, and phase aligned sections (assuming inverted absolute phase).

Everyone can try to achieve better transient behavior.

If it is any important, I’m the 1st order XOs fan.

Btw, crossover can be phase coherent and still not transient perfect if doesn’t have linear amplitude response.

Here are the transient behaviors of the 2nd order, 2-way, 3000Hz crossovers.

Pedja

Linkwitz-Riley

Green is input, red is low pass, blue is high pass, and black is summed response (tweeter with inverted polarity).

Attachments

• 2nd_linkwitz-riley.gif
    2nd_linkwitz-riley.gif
    26 KB · Views: 299
Hello Grataku,

Just wanted to show how does it looks.

I’m not pro-Linkwitz side here.

It might be the phase coherence is overrated, but it is sure the careful approach to the speaker’s phase behavior is not a waste of time. And it may be I like 1st order crossover because it is phase coherent, but it might be there are also some other (and more important) reasons for that.

Pedja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.